PDA

View Full Version : Is it really that bad?

rikdc
13th Feb 2006, 22:26
Hi,
I've just set the date for my NATS interview, and being nervous about the interview I googled for tips and found this website. Quite a few good bits of information (thanks!) but one thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a fair amount of bitching about NATS on this board and a few other places and I was wondering if it was really as bad as its been made out?

Thank you for any feedback
Rik

mattcarus
13th Feb 2006, 22:32
The answer is 'probably not'.

Not actually being in yet, I don't know for sure but internet forums are always full of moaners. Ask any ATCO if they enjoy their job, (and if they get paid well) then you'll find out why there are so many applicants.

Matt Carus

ukatco_535
14th Feb 2006, 09:13
The answer is no, in my opinion.

There is a bit of bitching - having ATCOS working for the same company but on different payscales is one of the reasons why people moan.... however it is quite a fair system as it recognises the busier/more complex units (in the main, although banding is far from perfect).

The management also tend to get a bit of criticism - I for one think they are pretty useless, there tends to be quite an insular 'scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' feel - a lot of the so called management have no management skills whatsoever, (in my opinion).

However, you will be working for a fairly progressive company, with generally good equipment. The staff on the shop floor (assistants, ATCOs, hell even the engineers(!)) who do the real job day to day are very good. There are some bad eggs, as in any large company.

The general pay is probably a little on the low side - but compared to regional airports etc we do very well when you take into considertion the pension package etc. We will always say we are not paid enough - especially if you do a direct comparison with some of the pilots pay packets.

Do not let what you read on these forums put you off, unless you are only applying on a whim.

rikdc
14th Feb 2006, 17:31
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm genuinely interested in the career so all should be good :) Just got to get passed the first interview now..

Thanks again,
Richard

bagpuss lives
14th Feb 2006, 22:07
I think it's natural for any group of employees to find fault and bitch about their employers because, let's face it, almost all of us, regardless of job, could find better things to do with our time than work every day :E

Seriously though, NATS is a great company to work for compared to both some other ATS providers out there, and other "real life" jobs away from the world of air traffic. The job itself is even better.

It's something I always wanted to do and it hasn't disappointed me in any way and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it, or NATS, to anyone else - bitchings aside.

NudgingSteel
14th Feb 2006, 23:01
I totally agree with the above replies. As the saying goes, an empty pot makes the most noise....Most of the whiners I have experienced have only ever worked in this job or company, and have never experienced a company that genuinely does shaft its employees. (and yet are probably not qualified to earn half of what we do, in any other industry!). Practically all my colleagues take pride in, and enjoy, their work. I certainly never saw that in previous jobs.....