PDA

View Full Version : CX SOs -is commuting common?

usualsuspect
13th Feb 2006, 17:42
For SOs based in HK-
does your schedule allow for people to commute from far away?
do your travel benefits support it well?
is it frowned upon at all?
Since there are people from so many different countries that work for cathay I was just curious how many SOs commute. I wouldnt mind living in HK for awhile, but didnt know if commuting from LAX to HK is even an option at all. Thanks-

junior_man
14th Feb 2006, 01:11
Ummm a 14 hour commute each way. 2 trips, two round trip commutes, almost 60 hours of commuting. Maybe not such a great idea.

Hong Kong is a very nice place, no need to rush back and forth to LA.

viking146
14th Feb 2006, 13:31
Guys!

Is there anyone out there that can answer the gentlemans question. I am sure there are a handful or more commuters that could share their views and experiences?

;)

CloudSailor
14th Feb 2006, 14:30
usualsuspect,
i'm not a cx pilot, but have been in touch with couple of guys who work there. i know a guy, who knows a guy.... who commutes from lax to hkg. i guess his family is in lax and he prefers spending his days off there. from what i heard, it's not a big deal (if you're used to commuting), and it's working out well for him. i would imagine it would get tiring after more than a year, but thought i'd answer your question with the little bit of info i have.
good luck.
cs.

Big Picture
14th Feb 2006, 16:21
Ahhh I tried it for a while however even with 3*CX + 2*QF + 1*VS direct to Syd each day it was very difficult. I rarely saw my family, The time change between Syd and Hkg is 3 hrs I'm not sure about LA/Hkg? My advice would be to plan on living in Honkgka's! Hell you might even enjoy it after a while!
BP

usualsuspect
15th Feb 2006, 00:21
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I appreciate you all helping me brainstorm out loud here.

Flying Bagel
15th Feb 2006, 06:00
A colleague I just flew with commutes to LAX. He says that it usually isn't a problem getting a seat, with the triple daily. However, there have been occasions where he has had to get a crew seat (as in cabin crew, not jump seat), and that is quite nasty for a transpac flight. However, if you really needed to go to work, there are quite a few options.
He says that it really isn't a problem. But then, he doesn't commute after every flight, as he does also rent a small place in HK.