PDA

View Full Version : Three engines and two props

Synthetic
12th Feb 2006, 22:39
I have heard that during WW2, The Germans were trying to find ways to avoid Allied fighters. One of the solutions they came up with was to make an aircraft which would fly above the operational ceiling of the Spit et al.

The aircraft they came up with was (I think) a Junkers 88 with three engines. The third was mounted mid fuselage and drove a supercharger which fed the two conventional engines on the wings.

Has anyone any info on this?

Thanks

diginagain
12th Feb 2006, 23:21
One trick they did have was injecting Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas, hence the code-name 'Ha-ha') into the engines, which gave them a limited edge on the Mosquito, for a few minutes at least.

27mm
13th Feb 2006, 10:11
There was also a recce / bomber aircraft with 2 jet engines, think it was called the Arado-AR234. Believe that several flew during the latter stages of WW2 and ceratinly cruised well above 40K, but not sure of exact data.

wonderboysteve
13th Feb 2006, 12:49
The three engined aircraft you are describing was a version of the Dornier 217 I believe; can`t remember the model though...

BEagle
13th Feb 2006, 14:11
You are thinking of the Do 217P, I think?

This was developed as a high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft with a pressurised cabin and was powered by two 1,750 hp DB 603B engines which were boosted by pressurisation from a two-stage supercharger driven by a 1,475 hp DB 605T engine mounted within the bomb bay.

I think that only 1 prototype and 3 pre-production versions ever actually flew though.

wonderboysteve
13th Feb 2006, 14:14
Thats the one BEagle, many thanks!

Synthetic
13th Feb 2006, 17:24
Thanks for all information Gents