PDA

View Full Version : RNZAF Recruitment

Tanewha
12th Feb 2006, 20:43
Interested to hear from anyone currently going through the latest RNZAF recruitment drive.

NutherA2
12th Feb 2006, 22:53
Not a lot of vacancies for aircrew, surely.:E

Tanewha
13th Feb 2006, 08:02
You would be surprised. New helicopters on the way.

Samuel
13th Feb 2006, 17:48
There was another, more complete, thread on RNZAF Recruitment from the RAF; indeed a number of the successful applicants are already here, including two Sqn Ldrs in Air Staff!

Not Long Here
15th Feb 2006, 06:36
For those thinking of coming out here, the quality of life is great. Outside in the local community its an excellent, family oriented environment with lovely people.

The RNZAF itself, whilst a small force in world terms, will certainly pull its weight when the re-equipment programme is completed. For example NZ 6 P-3K2,UK 12 Nimrod MRA4. Apart from that the RNZAF actually value its people with communication up and down the chain. Makes a nice difference and certainly supplies motivation and dare I say adds to morale.

Low Ball
15th Feb 2006, 06:55
This is a very heart warming change from the gloomy threads and posts in the very recent past when A-4s were being sold, the rest of the fleet were drawing OAP and the whole RNZAF seemed to be down sizing to flying club status. Not helped by all acounts to a government not commited to defence?

What has happened to bring about a metamorphosis?

Not Long Here
15th Feb 2006, 07:17
Low Ball,

To me, the government has correctly identified the priorities for the NZDF and, more importantly, put in the money to fund it. So within the RNZAF we have the P-3K2 with the capability of the MRA4 plus a bit (no airframe changes so less risk) extended life plus new avionics for the C-130 (now a cross between the UK J&K), new avionics and cargo capability for the 757's plus the NH-90's new buy configured for NZ but no funny bits giving major cost creep.

These are only the RNZAF improvements, both the Navy and Army have updates to their core capabilties going on.

Professionally, what more can you ask for. Plus, as I indicated before, your input is valued.

Being here is a no brainer for pure job satisfaction.

Cheers

Samuel
15th Feb 2006, 08:12
Low Ball, I was there the day of the disbandment of three squadrons, with all the accompanying infrastructure that that implies, and I was there when the very last fly-past by a guy now flying Hawks for the RAAF came within feet of where I was standing, and yes, it hurt.

But, and it's a huge but,[if it's not too trite to mention!], Kiwis, and the RNZAF, have always fought above their weight, and they have the temperament to get out the 'number eight wire' handbook when it all turns to custard! The loss of the strike force was quickly put into a dark recess somewhere, and new emphasis was applied to what we had and could improve on. That's a people process folks, and there are always good people around in a tight organisation. Plus some additional funding from a very embarrassed government! When you're hot, you're hot!

NLH has it right. If anyone can, a Kiwi can! Ask Ed Hillary!:ok:

old'n'bald
15th Feb 2006, 16:06
Does anyone know how many people the RNZAF are looking for? Will the recent changes to immigration law, i.e. 5 years residency before you can get citizenship have any effect on contract length?

Samuel
17th Feb 2006, 01:25
Eventually,up to 160, although I suspect they have already been selected in the interview process.

I reckon it's a take-over myself! Welcome guys, it's a neat life-style.

ZK-NSJ
17th Feb 2006, 04:54
how many NH-90's are they getting, ive heard as low as 8, seems a pittifull amount for nz, they should really get upwards of 20

Samuel
17th Feb 2006, 05:28
To my knowledge, no specific number has been mentioned, so any guess is just that, a guess. If the current 14 Iroquois are the benchmark, then a figure somewhat less than that might be about right. The final decision will also depend on the associated project to replace existing training helicopters with something allowing progression to both the NH 90 and the Seasprite.

wishtobflying
17th Feb 2006, 06:19
how many NH-90's are they getting, ive heard as low as 8, seems a pittifull amount for nz, they should really get upwards of 20

Australia is getting 12, so your 8 seems like a pretty good number to me, given population, area to cover etc. Of course it's never enough, and laughable in comparison to a country like the USA, but I'm looking forward to flying them, how about you? :ok:

Saint Evil
17th Feb 2006, 21:39
does anyone have a website for more info?

petitfromage
17th Feb 2006, 22:38
RNZAF: http://www.airforce.mil.nz/careers/overseas-recruiting/uk-recruitment-project-2006.htm

RNZN: http://www.navy.mil.nz/join-us/join-from-overseas/default.htm

kmagyoyo
18th Feb 2006, 03:59
Good luck if your considering the move.

The people in the RNZAF are great; a fact I truly appreciated after leaving it for another Air Force. Being the permanent poor cousin/ underdog gives the RNZAF a huge amount of mongrel reflected in their performance against better paid and equipped outfits.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Samuel, the Pilot you refer to is now a Hornet Driver (poor guy) :ok:

Al-Berr
18th Feb 2006, 09:10
So which one's better, the K, the J or the K/J?.......................:E

ZK-NSJ
18th Feb 2006, 20:12
well our 40yr old+ "h"'s do a pretty good job,

i might add to wishtobeflyings post,
i believe aussie are getting 12 for there special forces, they allready have considerable numbers of blackhawks, we need 3 or 4 minimum for army support, 2 for search and rescue, that would only leave 2 for overseas deployment and maintenance

Dunhovrin
18th Feb 2006, 20:43
C'mon Kiwi C'mon C'mon eh?

Glad to see the loss of a pointless strike force (discuss) hasn't effed it up for the truck and wokkas. Sad though the loss of pointy things seemed, the redistribution of wealth to the real front line might be taken on board over here in Pomgonia (Compare and contrast).

Samuel
8th Mar 2006, 23:48
Ah! The hoary old devil's advocate!

OK, I'll give you rein:)

The disbandment of the air combat force has been justified, rather oddly, on the grounds espoused by Helengrad that it hadn't been used since 'Confrontation'. [She, of course, was one of the student protesters who objected to the purchase in the first place!]. If combat is what is meant by being used, then we didn't use a battalion for a generation until East Timor, but no-one has suggested that was an argument for abolishing infantry battalions.

The point about insurance policies is that we hope they will never have to be used in practice, though, our air combat force was used daily in New Zealand and Australia and regularly in Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand. In Australia, where one squadron was based, we helped with training for both the Australian army and navy. Twice every year our aircraft flew to Singapore or Malaysia to take part in regular exercises under the Five Power Defence Arrangements. They were one of the most visible pledges of our concern with ASEAN's security.We are now virtually invisible!

The disbandment was more about internal bickering than factual defence policy, and that was proved when a complete generation of army senior management was removed from the picture, and a new, air force as it happened, Chief of Defence Staff appointed to sort things out, which he has done admirably. Another aspect advanced by Helen was the patently weak argument that we couldn't afford to either maintain the then current strike force, or the proposed leased F16. New Zealand is not a poor country, and we can afford whatever we choose and arguments against this are really not financial but saying we don't need defence full stop!The cost of the contract for leased F16s was NZ$30M a year for ten years in 1999, and amounted to less than one day's spending on social welfare!

We not only lost the squadrons, but all the expertise, the infrastructure, and the people, to the benefit of the UK and Australia. So the loss was not "pointless". As for redistribution to the 'real front line', the vehicles bought for the NZ Army are of dubious value! They can only go offshore by ship, they are vulnerable, cannot be airlifted [well, not in a Herc!], and they didn't cope too well with tree-stumps in the Aussie outback. So what the hell is their role? Toys for the boys on the 'real front line'?

The squadrons have gone, they won't be back, and we've moved on. One good thing in the news of late was that the VC awarded to Sgt James Ward, and held by 75 Sqn since it was given by the family for safe-keeping [ the one on display for all those years was a replica; the real thing being in a bank vault!], was recently returned to the family, and accepted by a great nephew of Sgt Ward.

scran
9th Mar 2006, 02:07
Wishtobflying -

Don't you think it would be prudent to put your comment in context?

Yes, AUS is getting 12 x NH90 (for now), which will be in addition to the 30 odd Black Hawk and 6 Chinook........

Whereas NZ may get just 8 NH90.

If you want to tell a story, tell the whole story......:hmm:

Samuel
9th Mar 2006, 05:32
Eight NH 90, plus whatever is chosen to replace the Sioux!

scran
9th Mar 2006, 21:17
Samuel:
Is the Sioux an operational aircraft, or a training aircraft? How many do you have?
The Oz Army fleet will shortly be a mix of 6 different types (Chinook, Black Hawk, NH90, Tiger, Iroquois, Kiowa) totalling somewhere around 70 odd aircraft (care to correct the number anyone?). Tiger is supposedly replacing both Iroquois and Kiowas, or at least, the Fire Support Team and Recon tasks those two types have.
The aim is to REDUCE the number of types eventually. The US Army had planned on 4 types only (Chinook, Black Hawk, Apache, Commanche). Not sure of the revision now Commanche is doomed. Marines will go down to four or three also (and on the battlefield, just two, the Zulu and Yankee (Attack Helo and troop carrier from Bell respectively)
I think Oz may end up with 4 also - Chinook for 'heavy' lift, NH90 for Troop lift/medium lift, Tiger as ARH, and a 'battlefield taxi' (type TBA) to move General's around the battlefield (because using NH90 for that is wasteful).
Thread creep I know....sorry Kiwi's!!!!!! :( :( :(

Samuel
9th Mar 2006, 21:43
The Sioux are like the proverbial axe, with new handles and heads, but they are essentially the intro aircraft to new boys. I have no idea how many are still left,nor what the likely replacement will be! I suppose they may even lease a suitable type.

They're not real aeroplanes anyway!

ZK-NSJ
10th Mar 2006, 02:33
as i understand it there are 5 left out of 10 orginally ordered, surely something like the as-350 which is allready operated in large numbers in nz would be suitable

petitfromage
10th Mar 2006, 04:36
Hush your mouth Samuel.
Youve not had a complete career until youve been overtaken by an ice-cream truck as youre battling into a 25kt headwind (g/s 35kts!) along the desert road in the mighty flying clothes-line!

Prior to a Sioux 'Navex' (Whangarei to Hobsonville?)
Me: Alright bloggs, how far to Hobby?
Stude: 60 miles Sir
Me: Groundspeed?
Stude: 60kts Sir
ME: How longs it going to take us then?
Stude: 100mins Sir!

5 Sioux officially, but I think theres only 4! (there might be parts for a 5th in a box under CO3s daughters barbie dolls?)

#13 and #02 have both been crashed at least 3 times each. Rebuilds used to take 6-8weeks.
In fact the current CO42Sqn & CO3Sqn have both trashed 1 each.

Not trying to be petty, both Aust & NZ are actually getting the "MRH 90"
In simple terms its the TH & NH hybrid...ie: its marinised but retains the loading ramp.
TH: Tactical
NH: Naval
MR: Multi Role

Samuel
10th Mar 2006, 07:32
"Expressions of interest" for the replacement of the Sioux were called last year, and the procurement is tied in to that of the [as I am reliably informed!], MR 90, so who knows? It's a rare event to jump 50 years in technology! [I only ever had one flight in a Sioux: scared the crap out of me!].