PDA

View Full Version : Winchman - Jobs in Hong Kong

sarboy99
12th Feb 2006, 10:07
I have a heard a rumour that there are vacancies for winchmen in Hong Kong, anyone got any details?:confused:

Anita Bush
12th Feb 2006, 10:38
A very quick search found this (http://www.gfs.gov.hk/recruit.htm).
Is that enough detail for you?
:ok:

sarboy99
12th Feb 2006, 11:00

leopold bloom
12th Feb 2006, 12:56
PM me if you need any more details.

HAL9000
16th Feb 2006, 10:41
Is there anybody out there who has worked in Hong Kong since we gave it back who can give an honest view of what life is like before I consider applying?

Cheers,

HAL

Talking Radalt
16th Feb 2006, 11:38
Have you seen the pay once converted to £Sterling HAL?
Don't be fooled by all those zeroes, it's actually not that much considering the upheaval, or maybe that's what appeals?

sarboy99
16th Feb 2006, 12:03
I reckon that's about £48,000 a year and tax free too, Hong Kong's got to be more interesting than UK/Falklands/UK/Falklands continuously?

Wiretensioner
16th Feb 2006, 13:00
Not quite tax free. Believe you will pay 15% Hong kong tax. Would have tried myself but the non-renewable bit put me off.

Talking Radalt
16th Feb 2006, 22:05
Can't get the page to load tonight but recall the starting salary was HK$43000 which via an on-line currency converter is £38k (admit thismay be inaccurate).
Hardly a diamond mine though is it and HK ain't the cheapest place to live any more apparently.

sarboy99
17th Feb 2006, 01:04
It says there is a 15% gratuity at the end of the contract so that makes it tax free?

leopold bloom
17th Feb 2006, 01:13
The maximum rate is 15% but there are personal allowances and tax is on a sliding scale starting at 2%. Just about everything in HK is cheaper than UK apart from accommodation.

petitfromage
17th Feb 2006, 02:16
A small flat in Tung Chung (nr the airport) will cost HK$3-6000 per month (400-900sq ft). Tung Chung has a direct MTR line to HK Island/City in 40mins

A 2 storey house (1400-2100 sqft) across the hill in Sth Lantau (20mins from the airport) will cost HK$7-10000 per month) http://www.findleyleung.com.hk/profile.php

Obviously a flatshare will be less (depends if youre bringing a family) Have a look here for more ideas. http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/

*Accom is very expensive in HK. And so is cost of living if you want to buy UK products and have roast lunches. If however you compromise slightly, and dabble in Thai curries and other Asian fare you pay far far less.
Personally (negating accom) I find HK cost of living is less than London.

Services such as mobile phone, internet, cable TV, gas, power, electricty all vary significantly from the UK. Some are cheaper, some more expensive. If you add it all up......its about the same.

Tax is low. Youre not taxed on other earnings (shares, investments etc) and off-shore banking can set you up well for when you return to Blighty.

In my opinion the quality & location of the property you require will make/break the quality of life you expect from this job.
HK$43k per mth is not enough for a family (when accom is not included).......the upper end of the band HK$53k is.

By way of comparison, a 1st year 2nd Officer with Cathay Pacific starts on HK$32k plus HK$24k in housing allowance.

I havent mentioned school fees which are significant (most employers chip in there). I see no mention of it in the GFS advert.....and that too could be a problem for you?

Kitsune
17th Feb 2006, 07:21
Or beer at HK$54 a pint unless you're living in CX City,,,,,,,,,:eek:

leopold bloom
17th Feb 2006, 11:10
You're drinking in the wrong places, those are night club prices. Tsing Tao $12 a pint in the supermarket.Stay out of Lan Kwai Fong!

petitfromage
17th Feb 2006, 14:34
Bah-Humbug Mr Scrooge!
If you're desperately concerned about beer prices in Lan Kwai Fong, walk 15m down hill and buy your beer in 7/11.
Your HK$55 beer, just cost you HK$10 (0.74p).
Being HK theres no law against drinking in public.......and being LKF, its a street party anyway. Theres no need to actually go into the bar.

For the sake of clarity: HK$55 = £4.00 and at Happy Hour (5pm-9pm) a pint costs HK$25 (£1.85)........how different is that to central London?

For what its worth, there's a European deli in Soho that sells Belgian beer, cheaper than you can buy it in Belguim. Such is HK, its all about knowing where to look and where to go. (Thats why the best bars dont have signs)

Kitsune
17th Feb 2006, 18:24
Just about hit the nail on the head, on those wages you're buying beer in 7/11 and carrying it to the places where the guys (and gals) with money to spare go. (I'm not one of them). The quoted wage is enough to live modestly. Before the SARS a taxi driver was earning about 30,000 HK$ a month, so theres a comparison.