PDA

View Full Version : NZ AVIATION INDUSTRY

eagle206
12th Feb 2006, 04:15
Hi

Just wanting to know from a pprune member in the know what type of job i'd be looking at in NZ with 400 hours TT and 100 multi IFR.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

eagle 206

NoseGear
12th Feb 2006, 04:53
Maybe something along these lines...........
"Would you like fries with your burger............?":E :eek:

rmcdonal
12th Feb 2006, 06:35
100 plan IFR or actual?

mattyj
13th Feb 2006, 05:03
If you're good, and I mean current and able to demonstrate your abilities if you get a check ride then go and see Mountain Air, Great Barrier and Sunair etc. Don't just email them your details, go and see them..tell them you are happy to sign up to whatever ridiculous contract they put in front of you and you love the industry and will do whatever they need you to do etc. Make sure you are talking to someone who has influence and then keep coming back to see if theres any part time work etc..make sure your CV is short and concise and don't be shy about working in the office..sweeping hangers etc and you might just be the man (or woman) they are looking for.

You might be about 100 hours TT short for those outfits but you can do a lot with a positive attitude and genuine enthusiasm.
Good Luck!

flying ginge
15th Feb 2006, 23:02
Mate that burger and fries line is so last year...

masseygrad
17th Feb 2006, 00:00
Thanks Nosey, that's good to know.

Ok, so what would also be useful to know is how many burgers and fries you had to log before you got your first instructing job, and then subsequent jobs with Mountain Air / Air Nelson / CX etc?

And how many flying hours did you have before you didn't have to serve burgers and fries anymore?

Eagle206, I would have throught that with 400 hours you would be in the ballpark for a job with the likes of Mountain Air, GBA, Air Safaries etc. A few years ago the GA operators would have had 1000+ hour instructors to pick from. Well, they still do, but they're all scared that the 1000+ hr guys and girls are going to do a few hundred multi IFR hours and bugger off to Eagle, Origin or Nelson. Which is a justified concern. So with 400 hours you may well be more attractive to them than a 1000 hour pilot because you will be more likely to stay for 1-2 years.

And pay heed to mattyj's words of wisdom above!

thekite
17th Feb 2006, 14:33
While you are crossing the Tasman, be sure to get a window seat so you can wave to all the Kiwi pilots flying the other way, hoping for the same thing!

NZ or Australia, the opportunities are pretty similar.

When I was a new helicopter pilot, I really wanted to do cattle mustering, but I flew tourists instead. Later, when I was a CFI, I encouraged my students to follow suit. There are many advantages to gaining experience this way.

I flew tourists at Glen Helen Roadhouse in the NT,and would do a sales pitch to tourists getting off the tour coaches.

Tip 1: wait until they have had a few beers.

Tip 2: Do not serve behind the bar. They have never known a sober barman, but insist that their pilot IS sober!

Later, I flew tourists at Warragamba Dam NSW, from the Lion Safari Park.

Tip 3: By all means park the JetrRanger in the lion enclusure, but be sure that the Getaway Holden Kingswood is actually there before you shut down and get out.

I used to listen to the ABC on the ADF. Sometimes you can get BBC panel games to listen to.

Tip 4: Try not to burst into screams of laughter on takeoff. It unsettles the clients.

Tip 5: Do not give up your day job. If you can carry on as chef, bouncer or librarian as part-time employee, you can survive as well as fly. I was an L.A.M.E. and selected helis because I noticed that they go to nasty places and break down. So my "day job" got me opportunities that I would not have otherwise had.

turbolager
18th Feb 2006, 02:57
and whatever you do dont fly for free :ok:

NoseGear
1st Mar 2006, 23:34
eagle206, mate, I want to offer you an apology for my flippant remark. I did not ever want to be one of those pruners that made those kind of remarks to young guys/guyessess that are looking for advice. As mattyj says, go and see Mountain Air, GBA and Sunair. You are low on total time but you have a good proportion of multi time. Its not the best time of year, being the end of summer and with a slow down of hiring at Air NZ, but there are still jobs out there. Try some of the air ambulance operators as well, that is interesting flying. As encouragement, I had not too disimilar hours when I got into MA years (and years) ago now. Good luck to you.
Mattyj, why don't you follow your own advice? You are very close, now is not the time to walk away, do you want to look back in 10 years time and regret not giving it a decent shot?
flying ginge, gee, thanks homey for keeping my slang up to date:rolleyes:

sum1
2nd Mar 2006, 02:05
Masseygrad....

"A few years ago the GA operators would have had 1000+ hour instructors to pick from. Well, they still do, but they're all scared that the 1000+ hr guys and girls are going to do a few hundred multi IFR hours and bugger off to Eagle, Origin or Nelson. Which is a justified concern"

I know what you are saying. . It seems that too many single hours is not such a good thing, for the reasons you mention above... no man's land between having enough for regionals, but too much for the likes of GBA. :confused: Not had a lot of luck with finding multi work in GA, suspect that this may be a contributing factor..
.....unless it's just me! :hmm: