PDA

View Full Version : Gecat Interview

speedtapeking
23rd Jan 2006, 10:35
Anybody know what the sim profile is for the GECAT selfsponsered type rating assessment at LGW ? answers by PM greatly received ! thanks

fast & fat
24th Feb 2006, 11:27
I would like some info to plaese!:)

scroggs
24th Feb 2006, 12:29
GECAT selection for what? I can't imagine too many wannabes looking to work for a simulator company.

Scroggs

flyaway777
24th Feb 2006, 14:34
I would appreciate any info on this aswell.

Thanks!

Check Mags On
24th Feb 2006, 14:38
Gecat as you all know is a well respected training provider.
They operate a scheme called the Gecat Pilot Program; it is in the same mould as CTC AQC.
By this I mean that an airline will ask Gecat for one/umpteen pilots and state its requirements, i.e. 1000hrs+ or Integrated etc.
Gecat will then interview and assess candidates, if they are successful they will then attend an interview with the airline in question and upon being accepted they will be offered a place on the SSTR course.
They also do a completely speculative SSTR. The assessment is the same more or less for both courses.
The interview is with two management captains and is both personal and technical but is very friendly and relaxed.
The sim is either a 737-300 0r 737-800 depending on availability.
You will have to do mental reasoning and numerous tests on your scan memory etc, there is also a question bank on ATPL subjects from met to rwy lighting.
It is very similar to the GAPAN test and I wouldn't be surprised if was devised by the same people. Oh yes and the boring psychometric test.
CMO

flyaway777
24th Feb 2006, 14:44
Thanks for that info CMO, its greatly appreciated.

SpiralStability
24th Feb 2006, 18:30
Has anybody out there flown the sim assessment for GECAT? If so, what did it entail?

avrodamo
25th Feb 2006, 01:14
I did the assessment in the 737-800. PM me

Dempes
8th Oct 2006, 17:52
Hello

Does anyone know anything about what is involved in the Gecat interview and airline assessment once you've finished the sim?

cheers

Dempes:ok:

Bobs-Your-Uncle
15th Oct 2006, 08:38
chaps.....

i wouldn't get too worked up on finding out what sim profile they might or might not use.

like most of these TRTO places i'd imagine it depends on what the instructor/assessor feels like on the day.

probably has a handful of plates that he/she can chose from whilst sitting at the panel.

cheers/Bob

Doug E Style
17th Oct 2006, 13:10
Just for info (obviously in practice there'll be plenty from which they choose); the one I did last year was take-off, fly part of SID, break off to join a hold followed by procedural ILS to land. All in raw data, naturally.

George Foreman
20th Oct 2006, 23:24
"Bob.." has it right .. it doesn't really matter where you are. I did an assessment at GECAT with a GECAT/IAGO instructor for a specific airline last year. I was given a profile (Munich) to brief myself on before the session. When I got in the box, he said .. oh bugger that, we're at Manchester ... in a way, the hardest thing for me about that assessment (apart from getting up at 0500 for it) was to break the situational link in my mind with how I had decided to fly the profile which I had prepared for in rather too much detail !

I have heard that this practice is not uncommon (and I can see why), so my advice would echo Doug's above .. prepare and mull over the standard 737 calls and procedures, including pitch, power and approximate speeds (these will depend on weight, atmospherics, etc) and configurations. Having said that for the GECAT (self-sponsored) approved pilot scheme, they will brief you on the day, only hours/minutes before your sim session, and they will most likely stick to that briefing. They have several to choose from, so the advice above remains valid.

Your general 737/Jet procedures need to be almost second nature so that you have spare capacity to apply them sensibly to the profile, or your current position if you have been vectored off it... ie for situational awareness, wind awareness, approx distance to touchdown, continuously checking and recomputing your descent profile and making polite conversation with the guy, as he will probably throw in a totally unrelated question or two requiring some multitasking on your part.

If you are taking all this in your stride, you might just get an engine failure and single engined ILS too, so having a look at the initial memory drills and how they are performed will get you additional points. They are looking for good CRM, ie a cool, considered, collaborative approach.

It is also said that you can pass or fail a sim check on how you handle the first and second level-offs, so expect step climbs in the departure or SID.

For the aptitude tests, GECAT use those provided by EPST .. do a search on pprune for advice on those.

I was told that the interview is also crucially important. It is possible to ace the aptitudes and the sim and fail the interview.

Good luck !

George.

CLEAR4T/O
6th Nov 2006, 13:11
Hi guys/gals,

I passed selection recently and im due to start the A320 Pilot Programme.

I just wondered of all the drivers out there, who went down this path and came out the other end with a job....

Cheers.

Zest
8th Nov 2006, 09:42
Hi guys/gals,
I wondered as well how many type rated went down this path and came out of GECAT with a job (I have heard 90% ?) ?
Is GECAT "placing" pilots with partner airlines just as CTC ?
Thanks for your answers.

avrodamo
8th Nov 2006, 10:57
It depends on what scheme you are on. SSTR scheme after GECAT selection for airline placement or SSTR scheme with no guarantee of a job afterwards. GECAT aim to place all pilots trained by themselves, but obviously can't guarantee it. I can only speak for myself. I was one of four who did a SSTR on the 737. We waited 6 months, but all got placed with the same airline. The 2 guys who were doing SSTR on the Airbus at the same time were recruited on completion of rating.

CLEAR4T/O
8th Nov 2006, 14:48
Hey dodge,

Just out of interest, what type rating did your friend complete??

Think this may be the deciding factor when getting a job... In my experience it sounds like the Airbus guys are being snapped up quicker than any other type rated guys. This may be due to the current situation and as we all know this could change anytime.

Cheers.

Zest
8th Nov 2006, 15:02
Thanks guys for your prompt answers :).
It looks like A320 TR would be a "safer" choice...
Avrodamo, could you tell us in which airline did Gecat place you ?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
8th Nov 2006, 16:26
Cleared for T/O,

Are you that friendly dispatcher from Scotland ;)?

CLEAR4T/O
8th Nov 2006, 16:55
Cleared for T/O,
Are you that friendly dispatcher from Scotland ;)?

mmm, friendly, depends what time you get me in the morning....:}

PM me. iv no idea who you are??? Maybe you have instructed in Scotland before, if so iv got a good idea :)