PDA

View Full Version : Radar Control Service?

ppng
10th Feb 2006, 20:19
I've just been 'beasted' by a TRI and criticised for changing airspeed without clearance while under Radar Control (IFR). He can't produce a written reference, so I'm inclined to ignore him. Who is right (and where do I look)?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Feb 2006, 20:29
I don't know where you are and I can only speak for procedures at Heathrow Airport. During the approach phase aircraft are given speeds to fly. If those speeds are not acceptable the pilot must inform ATC. That is clearly laid down in the UK AIP and is probably the same at most UK airports where radar sequencing takes place.
In busy airspace where speed control is a separation tool it would obviously be foolish to change speed without informing ATC.

ppng
10th Feb 2006, 20:39
Thanks HD
I'm also UK and the issue is whether it's required to get clearance for speed changes (OK, ALT & HDG need clearance, but does IAS?) During the Initial Approach, and assuming ATC have said nothing about speed control, can I slow down/speed up to suit myself, even when receiving a Radar Control Service?

Spitoon
10th Feb 2006, 20:54
I can only give you a perspective from a UK regional airport - if nothing is mention or promulgated about speed then no clearance is required. I'll watch you and if I need to to keep the speed up or to slow down I'll give you a speed to fly to fit into the sequence (yup we do do sequencing at regionals!). After many years of watching I know the sorts of speeds that will usually be flown (well, certainly the relative speeds) by the common aircraft I deal with so if you plan to fly faster or slower than might be considered 'normal' it's handy if you mention it. But in all honesty it's not busy enough to really put a spanner in the works if one aircraft catches me out - and it's usually because it goes faster than I planned for - it probably means a dog-leg or a bit of late speed control. So, like I said, it helps everyone if you tell me you want to keep high speed or to slow up early.

Data Dad
10th Feb 2006, 23:33
ppng

I believe you may be flying from the Ice Station? (as it's become known...) If so, I was on duty when you phoned your query in.

The answer is: In our Class D CTR/CTA below FL100 you are only required to request clearance for a speed change IF ATC has specified a speed for you to fly at and you are not less than 4 miles from touchdown when on an Instrument approach.

However, we do appreciate being told if you or anybody else are going to fly at speeds significantly different to "standard" operations - for example, a 332 reducing to 100kts or less without warning can be seriously embarrassing :ok:
So though it's not required to request clearance to, in the interests of harmonious relations it's best to forewarn us that you are going to slow down (or speed up, if you have the capability - 225/76?)

Come across for a visit - we might even be able to locate some coffee.

DD

Pierre Argh
12th Feb 2006, 13:21
DataDad makes a good point, which applies whenever you're receiving at ATS in whatever airspace. If you're doing something non-standard tell ATC, it saves the guesswork and makes everyone's life easier.

tolgab
12th Feb 2006, 14:58
AFAIK you are not allowed to change your filed speed on the flight plan for more than 10% without informing the ATC.... Thing is you file TAS and we see GS, but as mentioned before slowing down a lot with someone else on your tail at same level could be a bad idea.

Turn It Off
19th Feb 2006, 17:22
My understanding would be :-

Class A, B or C airspace - Pilots may adjust their speed as they require without reference to ATC unless flying a procedure which specifies an IAS (e.g. Sid / Star) or, a speed restriction is placed upon them.

Class D Airspace - Below FL100 pilots must fly at 250kts or less unless authorised by ATC, and adjustment below this speed is acceptable unless flying a procedure / ATC speed restriction has been placed.

Class E F G airpsace - Below FL100 pilots must fly 250kts or less, ATC are not allowed to increase this speed restriction as the see and be seen principle applies. Pilots may adjust their speed inside this bracket as required. If ATC / procedure specifies a speed limit, this must not be deviated from unless permission is sought from ATC.

chevvron
19th Feb 2006, 17:51
In class E,F, G airspace the 250kt restriction only applies to civil aircraft; you'll still get Tornado's and Jags tanking along at 450kts; the Jag especially has to fly at this speed 'cos it will drop out of the sky if it goes slower with a 'clean' wing.

Turn It Off
20th Feb 2006, 11:31
Doh ! I made a mental note to say at the end of my post about mil a/c but i lost the note!!!!

Cheers Chevron