PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Question about Airline Entry

pilotdude09
10th Feb 2006, 15:00
Okay,
This is theoretical and is only what i hope to have. I want to know what my chances are with airlines.

3125 Total Time (Multi, P.I.C etc)
300 Night Hours
ATPL
Grade 1/2 Instructors rating, IFR, M.E.A, NDB, VOR, ILS and LLZ
Year 12 passes in English, Math, Computing, Cert 1&2 in Metals and Engineering Cert 3,4,5 in Information Technology (Tafe) And if i can get in a Degree in Computer Science from Murdoch University
Class 1 Medical
Worked for a Charter airline for a couple of years

Incase your wondering the Metals and Computer subjects were chosen incase i couldnt get a job and for me i need something to fall back on, do airlines see this as a good thing, that you are studying as well as undertaking flying hours?

The above is what i hope to have within 5-10 Years. I've spoken with my instructor and he has said that is almost perfect, especially if i did choose to go to university, the other option is try and get an apprenticeship but that may lead me down the path? what do you think?

First of all i want helpful answers, i dont want some of the smart ass answers that some of you provide, if you cant be helpful dont post.

Also what Airline would look at me as a successful canidate or should i have more hours and would that increase my chances? XJ, JQ, DJ and maybe even QF or CX

Cheers, remember this is Theoretical and wondering if this is what i should aim for or if im way off.

Chimbu chuckles
10th Feb 2006, 15:45
If this is all theory I am curious where you came up with the figures 3125 TT, 300 night....exactly how much of that theoretical 3125 is multi pic? 3125 just sounds like such an odd number, no pun intended.

And you say this is your goal 10 yrs out with all the other bits and bobs?

You mention your instructor saying he thought it was perfect?

You talk of ONLY major airlines flying jets?

It sounds like you'll be devestated at around 3128 TT if not flying that shiny jet.

If the vast preponderance of answers you get here....from total strangers...is that your plan sucks what will you do....change it and give aviation the old heave ho and opt for full time heavy metal dude?

I have this mental image of a fresh faced student pilot with pencil, paper and eraser planing out the next 10 yrs in intricate detail....goals are good but I think you are taking that to an extreme I have never seen before...Life just aint like that.

Your questions are nearly impossible to answer..how will airlines view your non aviation related quals?...it wont even register until the interview and then how the interviewer will react to your backup plans will be subjective in the extreme....QF used to only want to see flying crazies who could think of nothing else.

I am imagining being locked in a small room with you for 8 hrs at a stretch...I may not sleep well tonight as a result.

Relax boy...ya gonna get an ulcer.:uhoh:

If this post falls within your exact parameters of 'smart arse answer' I am truly sorry...but life is full of dissappointments...best you get used to it sooner rather than later. :ok:

tinpis4
10th Feb 2006, 16:27
Pilotdude09,

What you have under your belt is facinating!!! :ok: I really envy you.....

With the sort of experience you have you are certainly in line to fly the next space shuttle mission! hehehe Think it's coming up sometime mid this year!

I only have a bit less than 200 hours and within the next few months will be on my way to flying 767's overseas with my good friend and fellow ppruner ando1bar! :D He is trying to recruit a few of us so you really should PM him if you are interested in getting into the airlines. Just read my other post and you will see all of the requirements. Although, you may be a bit too over qualified for the program that he is getting together but try anyway!

Anyway, good luck with it all!

Tinpis4.

Keg
10th Feb 2006, 22:43
Flying hours just get you to the starting line to be interviewed. After that it's all down to your stick and rudder skills and the 'fit' that you have with whatever psych assessment each airline uses. Even those that don't use a formal psych test are still evaluating your human factor skills and ability to integrate with a mulit crew. You can't plan how well you'll meet that criteria so it's important to develop those skills over the next bunch of years.

It isn't all about hours in the log book. :ok:

Daniel Beurich
11th Feb 2006, 06:47
Year 12 passes in English, Math, Computing, Cert 1&2 in Metals and Engineering Cert 3,4,5 in Information Technology (Tafe) And if i can get in a Degree in Computer Science from Murdoch University

Min qualifications for QF is Yr 12 Physics, or something like that. Not only is it a minimum requirment but physics teaches you alot about vectors and circuits and stuff that can help you understand the theory of all the Aeronautical knowledge you need to know.

For DJ its not a min requirment, in fact Yr12 isnt even a min requirment i think.

Daniel

LightweightAC
11th Feb 2006, 08:47
Min qualifications for QF is Yr 12 Physics, or something like that...
Daniel's correct. For QF, Physics is a pre-requisite. I know of someone who went for an interview and was told to return to uni to obtain at least a pass in Physics, then "come back again".

chief wiggum
11th Feb 2006, 09:25
Damn!!!

You're gonna have an ATPL AND a class 1 medical ?

If that don't get you employed... nothing will.

rare endorsements help too... like a "Piaggio", or twin pioneer.

pilotdude09
11th Feb 2006, 13:06
Chimbu, I dont only want to shiny new jets but that is of course my eventual aim, actually id be happy to fly for an airline like skippers or skywest. I was just wondering if this would be airline material 3125 hehe ive got 25 hours now i want to have 125 by atleast the end of the year so starting next year:P and no it doesnt come under smart ass answer, i am trying to plan my life, becaus you have to be able to fund the flying and if it fails youve got to have something to fall back on. I dont want to be flipping burgers at Mc D's for the rest of my life. 10 years is a long time off and as we know alot can and will happen in the time.

Tinpis4
Roflmao

About the Physics thats handy to know, i might look at taking a corrospondant course then.

Thanks guys

tinpis
11th Feb 2006, 19:45
Go drive a haul pack at one of those god awful mine sites in WA.
If you can stand the tedium of that and the big pay packet you have just had a taste of airline work without the bitchy colleagues

Tinpis3
11th Feb 2006, 23:56
Gday Groovy Dudepilot90

First of a congradulations on trying to plan your whole life out in advance! This show you to be a very organised person. I wonder like a previous post suggested are you a kid still in school?

Have you planned what you will be doing on the 23rd January 2013? or the 16th June 2008? Mate truely you can not plan life the way you are going about it!

My good friend Tinpis4 and myself are being recruited to fly 767's and we both have under 200 hours! If you would like to join us please PM one of us and we will bring you up to speed. Maybe if you could get that extra couple of hundred hours sooner rather than later, we could all do our 767 endorsement together. (By the way its all paid for)

Let me know!
:ok:

THE CONTRACTOR
12th Feb 2006, 03:47
My theory is pilotdude, you should stick with tinpis 4 and 3. They are certainly on their way and all paid for. I wouldn't worry about the physics, you can pick that up in 76 ground school. This is a fantastic industry, good luck you guys!;)

AerocatS2A
12th Feb 2006, 04:01
Pilotdude, any answers you get here will be irrelevant in 5-10 years time. The airline industry is cyclic and the demand for pilots is forever changing. It may be that 3000 hours is enough at the moment, in 10 years you might get in with 600 or you might need 6000, who knows?