PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Balloon Accident

oldplane
10th Feb 2006, 12:42
Just heard that a mete of mine was killed in an accident in Kenya while flying a 12 pax balloon:sad: . Apparently one pax killed and others injured as well.
Any of you East African guys know any more details, please let me know.:confused:
Nashkuru
Kazi Njema.

wabulabantu
10th Feb 2006, 18:00
The people I work with in the Mara were the first on the scene and assisted with stabilization until evacuation this morning. They had spent the night with clients at Keekorock, so the balloon operation may have been based in that area. The pax were all Canadian senior citizens. The rough account from my co-worker (who was in quite shock when I spoke with her this afternoon, so this is probably not 100% accurate). The accident happened during lift off. It appeared that a strong gust of wind hit the balloon between firing of the burner and the basket began bouncing along the ground and was not able to get properly off the ground. The pilot was shouting for all the pax to get on the bottom of the basket for protection. Unfortunately, from what I understand, in the end, the balloon hit a ravine which toppled the basket. The pilot and one passenger were killed. The others were evacuated to Nairobi by the Flying Doctors.

Condolences to the friends and family of the passenger and pilot. I wish a speedy recovery to the other passengers.

wabulabantu
10th Feb 2006, 18:51
NAIROBI, Feb. 10 (Xinhuanet) -- A Belgian tourist and a Kenyan pilot were killed and 10 others seriously injured when a hot-air balloon carrying safari goers crashed in Kenya's world famous Masai Mara game reserve early Friday.
Kenyan police spokesman Jaspher Ombati said the deceased -- a pilot and a Belgian woman tourist were among the 12 people on board when the hot air balloon, one of the admired tourists activities in the wildlife rich Masai Mara, crashed at around 0330GMT.
"Two people among them a tourist were killed at around 6:30 a.m. this morning. The two were among the 12 people who were board while viewing animals above the park," said Ombati by telephone.
He said the injured were airlifted to Nairobi hospital where doctors said they were out of danger.
"We are investigating the cause of the crash," Ombati said.
However, a statement from state-run Kenya Tourism Board (KTB) blamed the unusual strong wind for the cause of the crash which occurred about 270 km west of Nairobi.
"Reports from the scene indicate that a freak windy condition caused the accident," KTB spokesperson Rose Kwena said in a statement.
The KTB said the accident involved a hot air balloon registration 5Y BPA Cameron A315 belonging to Balloon Safaris Ltd.
The KTB said the company was a "reputable company" that has flown more than 100,000 tourists in its balloons over the Maasai Mara without incident since 1976.
Balloon safaris have become increasingly popular for high-end tourists visiting Kenya's game parks, enabling them to see animals which are undisturbed by the silent spectators overhead.
"Balloon rides are generally considered safer compared to other flights," said KTB.

oldplane
11th Feb 2006, 07:32
Asante Sana Wabulabantu
I have also now had comms with mates and they describe the flying conditions as pretty rough, as well as the pilot not wearing his restraint belt, hence we has thrown out when the hit the ravine. Seems he broke his neck instantly.
Pole and condloences to all who Knew Chris Marshall.
Rest in peace my friend:sad:

Coleman Myers
12th Feb 2006, 12:37
Deepest sympathy to all concerned

ShenziRubani
12th Feb 2006, 14:50
Pole sana and deep condoleances to family and friends.