PDA

View Full Version : advice desp. needed (from jaa instructors)

lloydsky
9th Feb 2006, 18:51
Hi all

I am a British guy with FAA SE/ ME CPL IR. Also just completed the JAA Groundschool. I only have 180 hrs (20 in multi).

I aint got much money left and with advice thin on the ground I'm not sure what to do.

I have £8000 left (plus could get into a little more debt, say £5000) but will start paying off a £26,000 loan in 1.5 years. I figure at some point I will want to do the JAA ME IR and try to get a job in UK. So really I am wondering how best to spend my money to get some hours built up and the quali's I need.

I have been thinking about going back to US to convert my CPL to JAA and getting a JAA nstructor license (lots cheaper than UK) then coming back and doing JAA ME-IR and try to get a job in UK as an instructor.

Is this a good Idea do you think? The BIG QUESTION is will I be able to find work as an instructor having not many contacts in UK and not doing much flying in UK.

(The other idea I have had is to basically go to Africa with my FAA license and look for a jog there for the next year!)

I would reall appreciate a little feedback from anyone who has been in this position or similar before

Many thanks

razzele
10th Feb 2006, 00:18
Well the CPL conversion would be training "as required" then the test, Florida has the only schools that are capable of issueing a UK cpl outside the UK.

The MEIR could be done in any jaa member state, spain is cheapest i believe.

The FI course is expensive £5.5k in the UK.

Ontop of that you need 2x£609 for CPL and IR test and you also need to get your MEP :confused: which i dont know, but you may have to do a course. the FI exam i cant remember the cost of that one. But on all counts it will be a tight squeeze.

sorry i am not more clued up

DodgeG
10th Feb 2006, 13:08
lloydsky .. Once you've sorted out your CPL conversion to "JAR".. maybe instructing would be your best next step forward.. remember you'll need 100 Hours P1 to start the course .. At least you'll be flying, improving your skills and earning something at the same time...you can worry about the "JAR" ME/IR a little later... Now is also the best time of year to do the course as the weather's improving !.. and I don't think you'll have any trouble getting a position soon after you qualify either... The FIE examiners fee over here is only about 200 quid and not the normal £609 for the CPL and IR !!... Good luck whatever you decide mate

lloydsky
11th Feb 2006, 16:29
Thanks guys.
Is that definite about the checkride fee in US? I heard that the fee is the same over there (equivilent of £600 odd) (CPL and FI fee's I mean).

Now what I am thinking about using all my money doing my FI in Oxford to hopefully get a job instructing with them and worry about the ME-IR in say 6 months - 1 year. Its a bit more high profile, what do you think?

Thanks