PDA

View Full Version : Circuits - ADVICE NEEDED!

Op Tastic
9th Feb 2006, 16:31
I have one leg shorter than the other, and this has always helped immeasurably when flying circuits - until the other day when a change in wind direction resulted in ATCO deciding to change the runway and CCT direction at the same time!
I was then forced to go off on a long nav to find another airfield using a left hand pattern. This predicament forces me to fly so far out of balance, the tail almost arrives at the airfield before me!
Luckily, I had plenty of fuel, but I may not be so lucky next time!
Has anyone else encountered such inconsiderate decision making by ATC?
:8

Jucky
9th Feb 2006, 17:36
I don't see what the problem is with a change of runway and circuit direction. I would think of it as inconsiderate if ATC didn't change the duty runway if there was a large change of wind direction.

Pull your knickers up, dry your eyes and make us a cup of tea!:E

BEagle
9th Feb 2006, 17:43
Straighten up and fly right!

RayDarr
9th Feb 2006, 17:47
Op Tastic,
Fear not old horseman, next time the evil ATC try a stunt like that, just flick your kite on it's back and fly the right hand circuit inverted. Don't forget to flick back the right way up just before landing as failing that tends to result in severe headache. Amaze your friends and impress all the popsies, and the ATC neddies won't be so rude again you see.
Yours, Uncle Ray

Duncan D'Sorderlee
9th Feb 2006, 18:04
Op Tastic,

What on earth were you using the rudder for? Has no-one ever informed you that the rudder pedals are simply for use as foot rests and a convenient place to put the brakes?

Duncan

:ok:

sangiovese.
9th Feb 2006, 18:50
That sounds similar to my PC having a clever slide out cupholder. Bill Gates thinks of everything.

:eek:

Delta Hotel
10th Feb 2006, 05:24
Mmmmmmmm....

Anything fast and pointy doesn't require the use of rudders. Me thinks you should have worked harder during flying training.;)

psy clops
10th Feb 2006, 07:21
Anything fast and pointy doesn't require the use of ruddersYou must have new toys DH. In our Mk1 wonderjet, >500 kts and holding LOA becomes a bit of a trick unless the ball is in the middle. Then again I am a trimmer...:8

NutherA2
10th Feb 2006, 09:58
[quote=Delta Hotel
Anything fast and pointy doesn't require the use of rudders.]

:cool: For its day the F4 was quite sharp & pointy; at >19 units AoA the only way to make it roll in the desired direction was to leave the ailerons at neutral and use rudder. QFI-speak was "When it buffets, use your boots"

Op Tastic
10th Feb 2006, 11:11
It's not so much of a hindrance when hill walking, although I've never been to the summit of any hill - nothing wrong wih walking clockwise round the base of Snowdon!

Professor Plum
10th Feb 2006, 11:50
I suppose a spare copy of Yellow Pages strapped to the bottom of your boot would come in handy!

Tim Inder
10th Feb 2006, 11:50
Why not catch the train to the top? :)
Either that or you can 'sideways close' up it! :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
10th Feb 2006, 12:56
I read a book once about a farmer in Wales who purposefully bred sheep with one leg longer than the other so they could easily graze across the hillside. The only problem he had was that when they got to the end of the hill, he had to come and pick them all up and transport them back to the satring point.

Reading another book, I found that what you need is trim. I can give you the name of a splendid garage in Blackpool who painted some trim on one of my first cars. It looked lovely as well. Perhaps they could add a fetching blue stripe down the side of your aircraft.

FFP
10th Feb 2006, 13:35
Mmmmmmmm....

Anything fast and pointy doesn't require the use of rudders. Me thinks you should have worked harder during flying training.;)

Working hard will get you on a FJ sqn. Working smart will get you METS :ok: