PDA

View Full Version : 747-400?

happydayz
9th Feb 2006, 15:44
I was just offered position on the 747-400 as a SO. I am a bit uptight:8 , and would like to get some study material prior to going to ADL/HKG. If anyone has some, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Happy

mpflis
9th Feb 2006, 16:20
happy,

when was your second interview? Did they give you an idea on a class date?

Joe le Taxi
9th Feb 2006, 17:26
The Aerowinx 747 PC sim is a pretty good systems trainer, and it comes with a manual which will give you a good technical grounding.

There is a book called ace your 744 sim check or something, by an ex United guy - Its OK but its very expensive and is mostly taken up with cockpit flows and general operating practices which are usually company specific and best taught by the trainers I think. There are some quite good tips in it though.

marbles1
9th Feb 2006, 17:31
happydayz

When do you start? I start in ADL on Apr 3 also on the 747 as an SO.

Marbles1

happydayz
10th Feb 2006, 01:26
mpflis I interviewed back in Sept. 2005. I start the beginning of May. I am extremely excited as you can imagine. Hope you get a start date soon!

marbles1 Look forward to seeing you in ADL or HKG. All the best with your course.

Joe le Taxi Thanks for the response regarding my initial question.

Any current pilots that can give me a heads up regarding 747 would be appreciated.

Happy:ok:

mpflis
10th Feb 2006, 01:27
marbles, when was your second interview??

Im trying to give myself a timeline. I passed my second interview on Nov30-Dec 1. Right now Im guessing that it will be an august-september class, but of course hoping for sooner.

cheers

Start4&3
10th Feb 2006, 02:27
marbles interviewed with me last sept in HK. but he's the lucky one.:{ but if you got question about 744 don't hesitate to ask me because i just got my type rating on it from a different airline.

Team America
10th Feb 2006, 02:34
Mate wouldn't worry about study for ADL, or even HKG.
ADL just a chance to drink, drink and eat and eat and drink some more. Enjoy it and get to know the guys you are joining with.
When you get to HKG you will given everything you will ever need to help you through the various hoops you need to jump through. Don't stress about ADL.
Enjoy :ok:

marbles1
10th Feb 2006, 02:38
actually interviewed June 05. Start dates ranged from Dec untill Apr for my group who passed.
Marbles

SMOC
10th Feb 2006, 09:03
As Team America says, also if you start thinking about the -400 too early you may peak early which is not the thing to do, the tech side is all CBT so once in HKG you can spend 24/7 on it if you wish. CX love SOPs and getting the mouth music exactly correct so keep that in mind.

moosp
10th Feb 2006, 12:24
Congrats Happy, and welcome onboard.

As Team America points out, don't stress yourself. ADL is nothing about 747's, its all about learning a different airline operating procedure, and getting an aeroplane (the smallest and cheapest twin we could find) as P1 on your Hong Kong licence. This allows you to convert your CPL. Go and enjoy it.

In HKG there is so much information available that the standard complaint is that it is like drinking from a fire hose, so you do not need to arrive with 747-400 stuff in your mind. The trick is to keep focused on what a Second Officer in CX needs to know, ie the syllabus, not all the extraneous stuff that you will only need as an F/O years later.

Oh, and a word of warning from another thread. Don't drink all your allowances at ADL in the first weekend!

rghods
11th Feb 2006, 16:43
just take it!!!!!

filejw
11th Feb 2006, 22:06
Happydayz,
I'm sure what these guys say is true but after 10 airline ground schools I must say having a little aircraft systems knowledge before hand never hurts. JW:O

happydayz
12th Feb 2006, 00:03
Man I leave for a couple of days and plenty of folks to help me out.

Thanks to all. I think it is time to chill with the family, since I will not be seeing them for a few months. I think I might have to enjoy a few pints in ADL.

Thanks again for all the responses and welcoming me on board. I got the package yesterday from FEDEX. What a dream come true!!!

See ya soon,

Happy

betaboy
13th Feb 2006, 04:16
I would take those "drink, drink, and drink more" replies with a bit of a grain of salt. I found Adelaide to be a lot of work. And sure, we had time to party also, and we did (in fact some of the 'good times' I had there rival those I had in first year university!), but we also spent a lot of time sitting down and memorizing SOPs, getting lectured about ATPL subjects, and figuring out how to set up and fly a clunky and challenging sim. If your background is turboprop, and especially, non-autopilot-equipped turboprop, you may find the 737 sim to be a bit of a handful. It's all quite doable with normal effort. However. I just wouldn't expect to be drunk the entire time.

For a good prespective and heads up on the whole ADL thing, have a look at this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=194774&highlight=adelaide