PDA

View Full Version : US Type ratings: Question

Le Pilot
9th Feb 2006, 08:12
If you hold an Aussie B737 EFIS rating with experience and a US ATP with no jet rating on it:
Do you need to pay for all the sims to complete the US ATP?

Basicly can you save any $$ by having the Aussie rating?:confused:

typhoonpilot
9th Feb 2006, 08:40
You're lucky, since 737 sims centers are a dime a dozen the competition keeps the price low. Not so for many other types. Basically you need to find an FAR Part 142 approved sim center with a short course. Full courses can be found for USD 7000 so a short course should be found for less than that.

Of course I'm assuming you meant 737 type rating as you already have the ATP.

Type ratings in the States place far more emphasis on aircraft systems knowledge than you may be used to in Oz. I wouldn't take a type ride in the States without being able to draw, from memory, the full electrical and hydraulic systems. Not that you have to do that, but it is an example as to the level of knowledge that you should have. That gets you past the oral, then the flying part should be fairly similar.

Try Higher Power Aviation, Aeroservices( Miami ), K&S Aviation ( Phoenix ), Flight Training International ( Denver ), or Crew Pilot Training ( Houston ) to name a few.

Typhoonpilot

Le Pilot
9th Feb 2006, 08:48
Typhoon
Thanks a lot for the info:)

druglord
9th Feb 2006, 11:24
dittos,
i'd memorize the entire systems book actually. makes the aussie ATPL look like preschool.

mjbow2
9th Feb 2006, 12:52
CORNFUSED!...

Le Pilot... You have the US ATP, Yes?

with experience and a US ATP with no jet rating on it:
Do you need to pay for all the sims to complete the US ATP?

Is your question related to the type rating and not the ATP?? Drugie... do you know if they will recognise the foreign type rating and allow Le Pilot to fill out some paperwork and have his type rating recognised for the US lic??

BTW the FAA does not recognise any difference between -200/300-500/ 600-900... as far as the type rating is concerned.... you will just get 737 printed on your lic!

MJB

druglord
9th Feb 2006, 22:52
mj,
not 100% sure, but i think he's still up for the written and flight test, but all the types convert over. i could be wrong though