PDA

View Full Version : Will 65 Age Limit Affect New Pilots???

novicef
9th Feb 2006, 03:38
Just been reading a reply from another thread. With the age limit about to be increased to 65 world wide. Will that slow down retirements, hence promotion? This could affect people lower down the food chain such as new pilots like me thinking of entering the industry.

So will things get worse? due to stagnation.

Keg
9th Feb 2006, 06:33
Yep, They sure will. Unless there is significant expansion happening, it basically puts a halt on most promotions (and therefore recruitment to replace those promoted) for probably 3/4 of the time the age is extended by. :* :(

ooizcalling
14th Feb 2006, 12:51
Qualified answer;

I think the vast majority of 60 year olds will opt to retire at or around 60th birthday regardless of the option to continue past that point ( a mate of mine did just the other month for example). This assumes that they have sufficient financial resources to enjoy retirement with a reasonable lifestyle. There will of course be some who want to continue even if they have more than enough resources to retire at or even before reaching age 60. Then there will be some who simply have to continue even if they'd prefer to retire due to financial limitations.

On the other side of the coin, there have been those who have had to leave the industry way before 60 due to health matters, a few because of proficiency problems, and others simply because they'd had enough or want to try something different.

So the pro's and Con's must balance up within a reasonable tollerance, and thus 'Keg's' response is perhaps a little too pesamistic.

Overall then I guess there will be an adjustment which might affect you but only temporarily, and we've all had to put up with temporary delays at various times during our lives for various reasons. I think in the future it will be looked back on as a relatively minor hick-up in the industry. If the projections for growth in the industry are even half right, then I think it still looks good.

By the way, I'm in the category of 'would like to retire at 60, but financialy can't afford to yet' due to a few years of unemployment along the way where no salary comming in but the bills sure didn't stop comming !!!! Had to feed the family off pension savings during that time. Hope to be able to bale out at 62 on present planning.

All industries have their ups and downs. Why should aviation be insulated from them ? Good luck anyway !

haughtney1
14th Feb 2006, 15:11
With the age limit about to be increased to 65 world wide. Will that slow down retirements, hence promotion? This could affect people lower down the food chain such as new pilots like me thinking of entering the industry.

Nobody has told the French this, I bet a few QF skippers might be interested to hear if they fly through French airspace:}

Capt Claret
14th Feb 2006, 15:50
IMHO retirement should have nothing to do with whether one has accrued sufficient funds to retire on or not. It should be entirely up to the individual to decide how long s/he wants or needs to work, and whether they can still meet the standard.

Making way for others is just hogs wash.

Googlewac
14th Feb 2006, 22:14
Just off on a bit of a tangent but how would this affect those of us starting in the industry later in life. For example, would airlines look more favourably on 35+ year olds who can now bring a longer return of service?

Acomabird
14th Feb 2006, 22:53
Me thinks if they raise the age requirement for retirement to 65, it will raise the requirements for medicals and flight checks. At least until they start feeling comfortable with the higher age. It will not be striaght froward.

salin
16th Feb 2006, 05:11
Yes I'm curious also as to how this will impact on those oldies who want to enter the airlines. Is it possible that 35+ will be seen as youthful again?!!

Transition Layer
16th Feb 2006, 05:15
I wouldn't think so, because a bloke joining at 25 can now give the airline 40 years of service, whereas the 35 yo can only give 30 years. It's still the same, it's just the numbers have changed. The younger applicants will still be more attractive. I may be wrong, but that's the way it would appear to me.

TL

distracted cockroach
17th Feb 2006, 04:47
Don't know what is happening at the White rat, but at Uncle Koru's a lot of the old duffer's are all turning 60 then bidding for F/O jobs on the big bird or downtraining to take commands on shorter haul fleets that don't go to the US/Japan (A320 0r 73) Some make it, others find the work rate a bit much of a shock to the system (whaddaya mean there's no bunk?:eek: )
Much to the disgust of many of their juniors, they are happy to stay on.
Seems a bit sad really, especially for those that are a bit past it. They lived high on the hog in the glory days of airline flying, and now they are depriving others of commands by staying on. Doesn't make them especially popular, but then unless you are there yourself, do you know what you would do?
Age 65 age limit would certainly slow promotion at the Koru, and would P off a lot of guys.:{

F/O Bloggs
17th Feb 2006, 11:46
Come on Capt Claret,

Time for you to hang up the old spurs.

Think of how much more Claret you could drink.

:E

Keg
17th Feb 2006, 13:12
Don't know what is happening at the White rat,....

The exact same thing as appears to be happening at ANZ! :{ :(