PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in an R44 from SYD?

moosp
9th Feb 2006, 02:32
Good day all,
I have the chance of a week off and ten to twelve hours self fly in an R44 from the Sydney basin. I wondered where you guys would recommend for a jolly.
Up the coast to Maroochie? Inland to a bit of desert? South east to MEL?
Land away hotels would be good, but a strip near a town would be ok too.
Any ideas?

Atlas Shrugged
9th Feb 2006, 04:51
Ahh, this proves that choppers are for those who love to fly but have no place to go! ;)

TurboOtter
9th Feb 2006, 05:32
Why don't you do scenic flights out of Bondi, or even Rose bay with those seaplanes? is that close enough to the action?:) :}

There are a few resorts up and down the coast that wouldn'
t mind you landing your chopper.
Why don't you think of what you want, find a resort, not a hotel, and tell them you would like to spend a couple of days, they more than likely would love to have your money.

However in the Sydney area:confused: you might be dealing with idiots:{

John Eacott
9th Feb 2006, 06:28
The nicest flying out of Sydney is North along the coast: I gave up flying the inland route to Brisbane from Melbourne ages ago, and always go coastal from Sydney if I can. 6 hours is only going to give you about 600nm, there are some top spots to park along the way :ok:

Get the WAC and take your pick!

vortexstate
9th Feb 2006, 08:49
Hey moosp,
Go and see Aerowasp (ex Wollongong) at Camden and he will accomodate you. He has a R44 that you will like to fly.
Hope your rating has come in handy.
I'll private you when I get a second.
VS.
:ok: :ok: :ok:

moosp
9th Feb 2006, 09:15
Thanks for the ideas. Yes up the coast looks good, I've only been as far as Newcastle and Cessnock and further north looks attractive. I could make somewhere just north of Brissie in the 12 hours, but I won't do all 6 outbound hours in the same day.

I've flown quite a bit in the Sydney basin so wanted to look further out. What's the Gold Coast like this time of the year?

Thnks vortex, hope all's well with you.

Capt Fathom
9th Feb 2006, 09:49
Pity you can't get a chopper further up north. Tooling around the Whitsundays would be a fine way to spend some time!