PDA

View Full Version : 90 Day Insurance stuff for Hiring

dantanna
8th Feb 2006, 21:13
Howdy,

I'm a low time PPL (200hrs) and haven't been doing too much flying lately though i'm current and had a BFR last Feb.

I called a few flying schools in the melbourne area to rent a archer/warrior/172/whatever and was surprised to hear that they need a 90day check ride regardless of whether you are current from a CASA point of view. I can understand an initial check if i've never flown from that particular school before but this is 'every' 90 days.

One place needed it every 90 days, another needed it for 'complex' a/c like a lance but skipped it ( after the initial check ) for simpler singles.

Is this a new thing? An insurance requirement? it seems odd if you fly every 2nd weekend for 90 days that you need a check.

Cheers

Di_Vosh
9th Feb 2006, 00:27
A check ride "every 90 days, regardless" sounds like a company that wants to milk you of your cash. :ouch:

As you pointed out, an initial check ride is fair enough. A check ride if you've not flown with them for 90 days; also fair enough (IMHO).

But...

When you go ahead with the check flight, find out EXACTLY what skills that you're going to be checked? A lot of the schools try to milk a check flight. Don't accept "Oh, we'll go out into the training area and do some general handling, come back and then do some circuits". Find out exactly. If you'll be doing some procedures that you're not that familiar with, ask what the flying school standard is.

Also, instead of asking the instructor who picks up the phone, ask the CFI what the check flight will involve, and then ask him/her to book you in with either the CFI or one of the instructors. (You may be surprised at the difference in the answers).

Lastly, check around and compare notes from the schools (just like learning to fly).

Just some thoughts.

DIVOSH :ok: