PDA

View Full Version : NATS to 'outsource' training

RTUK
8th Feb 2006, 17:02
Despite NATS - Hurn management publicly stating that 'although the outsourcing of ATC training is always a possiblity it is nothing to worry about' I have heard from a senior source within NATS that it 'could' happen as soon as Summer 06, with the German Company DFS providing future training for NATS controllers.

Does anyone else know anymore on this matter??

AlanM
8th Feb 2006, 17:04
....the new salary may go further in Germany....:{

Not Long Now
8th Feb 2006, 17:05
Would that be all trainees at half price, interest free and nothing to pay for a whole year???

Sorry.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Feb 2006, 18:47
Now why do the words "another cock-up" spring readily to mind?

A I
8th Feb 2006, 19:25
A couple of points spring to mind.

DFS is not a company as it is government owned. I believe that it is going through a privatisation process right now. I would not be surprised if NATS were to attempt to buy a substantial stake in the new company. In the words of our leader its either grow or get eaten up ourselves. I expect to see a number of amalgamations in Europe over the next years. This can surely only be good for the industry.

Secondly, if NATS is to be "the best" provider then it can hardly outsource the training. We need to get our costs down and compete for overseas contracts ourselves just like we did in the good old days.

A I

Not Long Now
8th Feb 2006, 21:45
Call me pesimistic...
So NATS outsource to DFS or whoever. Five years time new managers at DFS decide there's not enough money in this training lark, so we're not doing it any more.
Noone left at the college, most probably no college!
Only other company offering training is in India (boom time for every other market, why not ATC training) but market has now risen on the sub-continent and it's too expensive for NATS.
Ooh dear, and we've another retirement glut coming up in a few years...

And we think we're short of staff now?:sad: :sad: :sad:

oct
8th Feb 2006, 22:18
I dont think that anything will happen prior to the elections in Germany in September as the law authorising the sale is not due to be passed untill then.However if we are to get a training organisation that has management that knows what its doing and can improve moral and produce 1st class controllers is that a bad thing or do we carry on with the green theme and hope for the best whilst watching our backs?:

chevvron
9th Feb 2006, 16:34
NATS have often outsourced in the past to Dundridge and Bailbrook (both of which use different names now) so why is this an issue?

Dizzee Rascal
9th Feb 2006, 20:06
NATS have often outsourced in the past to Dundridge and Bailbrook (both of which use different names now) so why is this an issue?

Dundridge is still called Dundridge and Bailbrook no longer exists (for the last 5 years).

Not Long Now
10th Feb 2006, 08:48
chevvron, Dundridge and Bailbrook did indeed receive business from NATS but only to free up capacity at the college, but Bailbrook is no longer there, so what if NATS had been relying on it instead of using it as an extra to the college?

BALIX
10th Feb 2006, 08:52
chevvron, Dundridge and Bailbrook did indeed receive business from NATS but only to free up capacity at the college, but Bailbrook is no longer there, so what if NATS had been relying on it instead of using it as an extra to the college?

Yeah, but if NATS had been relying on it it would probably still be there.

Not Long Now
10th Feb 2006, 11:25
Probably being the key, if NATS only probably needed a continual stream of trainees we'd all be probably laughing...

chevvron
10th Feb 2006, 15:35
I was under the impression from previous posts that Bailbrook was resurrected at Rudloe Manor ie same staff, different owner, different name and about 5 miles away.

Ali Bongo
10th Feb 2006, 16:43
So NATS outsource to DFS or whoever

If we buy a share in DFS, do we get a discount on nice leather sofas? :confused:

How about meeting Linda Barker ? :ok:

What a furniture company wants with NATS I don't know...:confused:

Flaps ten please
11th Feb 2006, 09:37
Sofa so good...

I wonder when they will tell the poor b*st*rds who work there?

:hmm:

2 sheds
11th Feb 2006, 10:42
Dundridge is not actually "still called Dundridge", as an earlier post suggested. It is BAE Systems' Cwmbran College. (Don't know how that sits with potential overseas customers!).