PDA

View Full Version : flying more dangerous than driving?

ILOVEMCO
8th Feb 2006, 16:05
apparently theres someone on richard and judy on channel 4 today (ON NOW) who has "proof" that flying is much more dangerous than driving and that your more likely to die flying than whilst in a car :\

i'll watch it and see what he comes up with

ILOVEMCO
8th Feb 2006, 16:13
am having to endure anthea turner telling the nation how to hang your clothes :yuk:

TightSlot
8th Feb 2006, 21:29
We're all holding our breath...

(Is this going anywhere?)

SXB
10th Feb 2006, 21:59
These figures are approximate but I believe something like 3000 people were killed on the roads of Britain and around 6000 in France, I don't think I need to continue further:mad:

ILOVEMCO
10th Feb 2006, 22:36
basically the "expert" said that the deaths per mile statistics was "fundamentally flawed" cos the most dangerous part of flying is taking off and landing and the per mile statistics does not take that into account.

that is all i remember apart from being extremely bored and thinking the guy was taking rubbish.

all in all it wasn't worth holding ur breath for

Globaliser
10th Feb 2006, 23:22
As a broad generalisation, I think that the fatality rate per trip is of about the same order of magnitude for air travel and road travel. That sounds like the statistic that this "expert" has lighted on. But the fatality rate per mile travelled is much much lower for air travel.

I personally think that those who compare fatality rates per trip are just scaremongering. Get in the car, drive to the supermarket and shop, then drive to the garden centre and shop, then drive to the newsagent, then drive home, is four trips - perhaps all done in an hour. Nobody normally flies like that.

If you fly somewhere, it's likely to be at least a couple of hundred miles and perhaps the best part of 10,000 miles. The proper comparison is with the accident risk if you were to drive to your destination instead of fly. And then there's just no contest.

Final 3 Greens
11th Feb 2006, 06:41
Of course, if you fly yourself, then the accident rate increases considerably and that's why regular life insurance usually does not cover (or charges a premium for) private flying, which is considered a dangerous sport.

I can't see how one can ring fence taking off and landing from the whole flight, just as one could not reasonably say that the drive to and from the motorway junction was more dangerous that the motorway portion (which I assume would be the case, if investigated.)

Jo B
11th Feb 2006, 07:45
Not my usual forum, but I read somewhere that 96.6% of all statistics are made up;)
I'd rather fly than take my chances with the nutcases on the roads in Godzone any day of the week:ok:
cheers

Jo B
11th Feb 2006, 07:50
p.s and not just the drivers....
Just read an article in the local paper.
A woman was killed yesterday by a car when she ran into the road (it is believed) after her dog which had run off. :confused: Needless to say - the dog was ok.....

Pax Vobiscum
11th Feb 2006, 22:51
Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be killed crossing the Cromwell Road than flying across the Atlantic ... and the drivers of the Victoria to Heathrow coaches are under strict instructions to make sure it stays that way!

apaddyinuk
12th Feb 2006, 12:39
So what is this "expert" saying??? We should all stop flying and drive everywhere???

striparella
12th Feb 2006, 13:10
I didn't see it but i can understand the point of view that if you have a car crash, you're chances of being killed are less than those if you are in a plane crash - plane crashes tend to be of the catastrophic variety!

BUT plane crashes happen less frequently than car crashes so it's swings and roundabouts on this one i think!

Tarq57
12th Feb 2006, 21:33
I would think a minor car crash probably wouldn't hurt, let alone kill you. They happen frequently. Probably less frequent, but still often, would be minor plane crashes. A lot wouldn't even make the national news. Plenty of plane crashes are survivable (and non-injury); you just don't read/hear about them as often as the catastrophic ones.
Guess it depends on your definition of crash.

Hew Jaz
18th Feb 2006, 23:02
Not my usual forum, but I read somewhere that 96.6% of all statistics are made up;)

Just out of curiousity.........where did you get that statistic.........! :D :D

Jo B
19th Feb 2006, 07:27
From 96.6% of people who replied to the the statistic survey which went out to 96.6 % of people who decided that statistic surveys were worth replying to for 96.6% of the time;)
The other 3.4% were reading comments on certain forums about the 96.6% of people who took part in surveys:D :D :D

ExSimGuy
19th Feb 2006, 18:07
I'd rather fly than take my chances with the nutcases on the roads in GodzoneHave you ever driven in RUH?

Or in BAH at the weekend, when half of RUH is driving there????? (often with Mr John Walker in the car with them) :mad:

Hew Jaz
19th Feb 2006, 20:26
The other 3.4% were reading comments on certain forums about the 96.6% of people who took part in surveys:D :D :D

:ok: LOL!!

And statistically speaking......., were they all reading the PAX & SLF forum....

(I'll get my hat now and leave.....) ;)