PDA

View Full Version : Over Ocean ATC

2U5A
8th Feb 2006, 13:02
Twenty plus years ago when I resided in the good old UK, I did some contract work for a very reputable computer organization. The study was to create a synthetic over ocean ATC radar system. The solution was so obvious and simple in its structure that most senior bosses could not believe the result as it was “too cheap”.
In a nutshell it was to take a GPS three axis position, Lat, Long and elevation and transmit the data along with a squawk through inmarsat every 10 seconds to base. We then took the data and synthetically created speed, heading and any changes to flight level. The next stage was to create a three axis safety zone around each aircraft with predicted track data which automatically hi-lighted any potential conflicts for safe separation criteria. The final stage was to upload data warnings to aircraft for potential conflicts.
There were limitations, for example; being only able handle a maximum of 200 aircraft at a time on each data circuit and the limitation of the number a com satellites at the time.
When I look at how the technology has advanced now with message compression and improved satcoms all the barriers have been removed.
Not being an ATC person and only being associated with aviation on the edges, I was wondering if any of our work all that time ago has been adopted.

Iron City
8th Feb 2006, 16:58
Yes
It is called Automatic Dependent Surveillance (ADS) The benefit, as you found out is that it is dirt simple to do and lets anyone who received the information figure out where everyone is. It's flaw is that it depends on the aircraft knowing where it is.

P|_azbot
8th Feb 2006, 20:44
I believe that every satelite reading cost US$4. That would get quite expensive every 10 seconds.

Minesapint
11th Feb 2006, 11:04
New Mode S radar head £10,000,000. ADS-B squitter around £40,000. Apparently GPS signals not accurate enough for high density airspace.