PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair, airports and passenger confusion

luoto
8th Feb 2006, 12:08
(From reading many threads involving Ryanair it seems that it is customary to declare whether one is baiting or otherwise bashing RyanAir, I am neither)

I just happened to notice a prominent Ryanair advert in Aftenposten, a prominent Norwegian newspaper (6 Feb page 1) which was doing another "pay nothing" special offer that one sees Ryanair is well known for doing.

Three destinations were printed in text quite large and the customary very small text in brackets:

Frankfurt (Hahn)
London (Prestwick)
Newcastle

Now, please forgive me, but isn't Prestwick EGPK, rather a long way from EGSS which would appear to be Ryanair's nearest London hub. Or is another London area also known by this ? (Serious question, i don't believe so, but who knows what is happening when you have names like Robin Hood International and suchlike).

I know that Hahn is not exactly Frankfurt but an airport in a different country or 319 miles by great circle calculation a little too far.

I have discounted printing error as for such a large advert and promotion they would be getting it right, especially as many Norwegians might not know English airports so well.

I have another bright question about deicing at Denmark that I will type in and pose as some thing strange happened when transitting there on Monday afternoon.

Thanks ! Luoto.

bbrown1664
8th Feb 2006, 12:42
Stanstead is the closest you will get to London on Ryanair. Having said that, you can get into london just as quickly if not quicker from their than you can from Heathrow. In addition, you wil be out of the airport in no time compared to heathrow.

If you think Ryanair destinations are poor, Easyjet fly to Bratislava. Well, that is what they tell you. It is actually Vienna. Not only a different city, but a different country.

bacardi walla
8th Feb 2006, 12:45
Stanstead is the closest you will get to London on Ryanair. Having said that, you can get into london just as quickly if not quicker from their than you can from Heathrow. In addition, you wil be out of the airport in no time compared to heathrow.

If you think Ryanair destinations are poor, Easyjet fly to Bratislava. Well, that is what they tell you. It is actually Vienna. Not only a different city, but a different country.

But Prestwick is not near London, thats the point LUOTO raises.

A4
8th Feb 2006, 12:51
Quote "If you think Ryanair destinations are poor, Easyjet fly to Bratislava. Well, that is what they tell you. It is actually Vienna. Not only a different city, but a different country"
BB1664
Since when has the IATA code for Vienna been BTS.. :hmm:
Take a look at www.easyjet.com ..... I think those that are a bit "economical" with their destination descriptions are the Ryans......
A4

outofsynch
8th Feb 2006, 13:00
What ever makes you think eJ fly to Vienna?
They do fly LTN - BTS Bratislava LZIB
Vienna LOWW is the designated alternate, so if you see them there...

hazehoe
8th Feb 2006, 13:08
I don't think going from Steanstead to London is all that fast ,40 minutes with the Steanstead express to Liverpool station, it's about time they talk to the French about this.It's called a TGV;)

Daede1
8th Feb 2006, 13:19
STN-Liverpool St is about 30 minutes at worst. I do it every day on the crappy commute.
Plus, you get right into London, as opposed to the heathrow express, where it costs you a kidney to get on the express train, and then it dumps you at Paddington.

Also Prestwick is about 6 hours train journey from London. Its a bit like saying Madrid (Barcelona).

aeroBits
8th Feb 2006, 13:28
Well, Prestwick is "Glasgow" (or really Ayrshire) Prestwick. I guess that might have been a bit of confusion?

Idle theorising follows - maybe someone had just put Prestwick in the proof, which then got confused with Gatwick and then the printers said - ah, isn't that London?

Not for a minute would I suspect that this was trying to deliberately call a Scottish Airport "London"

batninth
8th Feb 2006, 13:30
luoto, daede1,

I suggest that the chances of FR's Dublin hq placing ads in the media in Norway are pretty remote. It is more likely they use a local agency, and probably had to move quickly to catch a cheap advert spot. It may have been an agency mistake, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone from Dublin is now explaining to the agency how they are going to pay to correct this.

hazehoe
8th Feb 2006, 13:44
I use the Stansdead express and as you know they increased the ticket price last month for a single to 14.50 not very cheap (but what is in London). Tottenham hale 35 minutes and than on to liverpool Station,once they have the Tube sorted in Heatrow i prefer this anytime,the Piccadilly, a lot cheaper in to London.Where is that TGV uncle Tony?:uhoh:

Finbarr
8th Feb 2006, 13:47
Please guys, it's STANSTED (ie no second 'a')

BALIX
8th Feb 2006, 14:32
I know that Hahn is not exactly Frankfurt but an airport in a different country or 319 miles by great circle calculation a little too far.

London (Prestwick) was obviously a typo. Even Ryanair wouldn't get away with that :\

luoto
9th Feb 2006, 05:24
It seems that someone from the Daily Telegraph must have noticed this (advert or PPRUNE) and there's a large article about it http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/09/nryan09.xml

And no, I am not the Daily Telegraph's transport correspondent who was fishing for some informations.

MadsDad
11th Feb 2006, 09:11
The article above does also say that A Ryanair spokesman said last night that there had been a "slight error" in the advert

I think we have different definitions of 'slight'.