PDA

View Full Version : Rate your Operations Manual

Counter-rotation
8th Feb 2006, 08:33
Just curious what other charter drivers out there honestly think of their company's Operations Manual...

Personally, I've had half a dozen jobs, and none of those companies have had an Operations Manual that even remotely resembled what actually happened, day to day.:confused:

At first I thought, "ah well, bit crook at the bottom of the industry, it will improve down the track", but as I've moved on to bigger, apparently better companies (who shall remain nameless), the ridiculous things contained, or not contained, in "The Bible" never seem to improve!

Aren't these documents supposed to be approved by CASA? (wait a sec, maybe that explains it :p )
Aren't companies audited on a periodic basis?

(Ha Ha Ha next week, we'll play rate your Operations Manager :E )

Horatio Leafblower
8th Feb 2006, 11:02
CR

I am just trying to count the number of FOI's that have informe me, gravely, that CASA "accept" Ops Manuals... they don't approve them. :rolleyes:

Seriously, an Ops manual should give a martian (OK... a martian with a CPL/ATPL and a Class 1) enough information to walk into your operation and start work tomorrow.

John Orlowski's product always seemed good to me (to the extent that I have plagarised it once... sorry John....)

Brian Abraham
9th Feb 2006, 03:23
I'll accept that FOI's only accept Ops Manuals. Ours had information in it that was counter to the flight manual in areas such as take off distances. And no the ops manual was not being conservative but had information that said a take off was possible but flight manual said you needed an extra 80% on top of the ops manual figure. FOI does not necessarily have any experience in the equipment in question. In any event no effort was made to comply with the ops manual or anything else. Get the bloody job done was the tone.

TurboOtter
9th Feb 2006, 05:38
You nailed it Brain,
"FOI does not necessarily have any experience in the equipment in question"

They more than likely don't have the experience, yet they persuade operators to make the manual the way it is. Then when something goes wrong they blame the operator for not covering it in the ops manual.

My question is why do we even "CASA approved" manuals, 90% of what is in them is duplication of the CAO's AIP's etc. If Ops manuals where to be taken out of the picture all operators would be operating on the same playing field. If you had to operate out of these guidelines then you would get and hold dispensations?

Oops, I thought the CASA could use a bit of commen sense, without charging for it!:}