PDA

View Full Version : Whatever next??

tuksumduin
7th Feb 2006, 21:17
RANT MODE SELECT - Having recently visited the ASACS latest acquisition I was extremely impressed with the hard work and obvious thought that had contributed to its image. The working environment is superb along with exceptionally high morale for an ASACS unit. However, someone seems to have taken it upon themselves to jeopardise the positive feel of this uni,t by using the 'farce develoment' umbrella as a reason to name the Flights after former VC heroes.

QUESTION: Is this the way forward?
Most of the personnel disapprove, yet I understand it is being supported by those trying to make a name for themselves. I can't see the need for the introduction of this when a system that has been used for decades (including WWII) has worked well enough. I believe the RAF-Youth of today have no idea about past war heroes let alone any association with them.

RANT MODE DESELECT.

Having read a recent thread regarding a famous dark K9, I can confirm that the picture was removed against the wishes of the majority, but once again we are satisfying the whims of the minority. What will the future hold if we continue pandering to the desires of the one with the loudest voice? :confused:

Wrathmonk
7th Feb 2006, 21:48
This has got to be a fishing exped, so on that basis I'll bite!

Personally I don't see a problem with it - it could be worse they could be named after retired senior officers - imagine being in Wratten Flight, or the B-Word Flight, let alone Wilson Flight! Quite frankly, if you're ashamed to be associated with a VC winner then you shouldn't be in the Service. If it went to the popular vote I'm sure they would all be named after modern day heroes (sp? - maybe it should be losers) and we would have Rooney Flight, Beckham Flight, Ferdinand Flight, Ferguson Flight etc.

The RAF may not have much in the way of history and tradition, being the new kid on the block, so like the dog that cannot be named it should hang onto the little it has. If I remember correctly what is left of our VC10 fleet are all named after VC recipients. Also, not saying the army gets everything right but one of the blocks at Sandhurst has already been named after the TELIC VC winner.

Nibble over!

W

Kim Il Jong
7th Feb 2006, 22:06
Here here for Wrathmonk. Bugger, i got hooked.

Melchett01
7th Feb 2006, 23:03
Look on the bright side, I can think of worse things to name the flights after: Bliar, Brown, Prescott & Buff.

But in all seriousness, I do believe that the ASACS community has a problem when it comes to names; last time I paid a visit to Boulmer, I could have sworn blind that I saw one of the roads on the patch called, and I jest ye not, 'Bader Walk'. After that, naming the Flts after VC winners seems fairly sensible

Conan the Librarian
8th Feb 2006, 01:06
Melchett, I am still in tears and it is now 0206Z...

Thank you

Conan

Onan the Clumsy
8th Feb 2006, 03:39
to name the Flights after former VC heroes.
Oh dear, I misinterpreted it as Viet Cong. :(

SASless
8th Feb 2006, 04:06
Tuks,

Ever since I tumbled off the bus and onto a set of yellow painted footprints on some pavement I have been doing what the "loudest" voice has told me....so what is new?

But...I agree with you....tradition and honoring old warriors are right and proper....no mind what the PC crowd think.

Maple 01
8th Feb 2006, 06:27
erm, how about calling the flights A,B,C etc like we always have done? Before you know it we'll have Nelson Mandella flight, depending on the leanings of those making the rules.......

VC winners names on new blocks only please (if we ever build any more that is)

Maple, ex Neatishead 1 Sqn A Flt

BEagle
8th Feb 2006, 07:14
'Wratten flight' would be truly appalling.

Mind you, a lot of folk have already been on 'Day shift'....:hmm:

teeteringhead
8th Feb 2006, 10:25
Does this make Strike Command the "French Air Force"???;)

Data-Lynx
8th Feb 2006, 16:40
Come on Melchett, Boulmer's road naming isn't too bad. What about Reading Council who approved Abattoirs Road by the station? It is, of course, a cul-de-sac. Meanwhile, those passengers at MPA who are waiting for the Panel-Bashers-R-Us mob to finish the Air Bridge's No4 engine nacelle can walk around the many byways which are named after the fallen.

Onan the Clumsy
8th Feb 2006, 16:44
There's the apochryphal tale of the old branch line turned into a tree lined lane where somebody had the wit to suggest the name Beeching Cut.

Melchett01
8th Feb 2006, 20:08
Oh come come now Data Lynx, I hope you don't think I was having a pop - I think it's great, brings a smile to my face every time and I'm sure Douglas is chuckling away to himself where ever he is now.

But if you want a real doh moment, look no further than our beloved Sleaford Tech and their 'Baghdad Road'. Wonder if Saddam had a Cranwell Avenue :\

teeteringhead
9th Feb 2006, 06:40
But at Cranditz it's got to be game, set and match to:

Lighter-than-Air Road

Gainesy
9th Feb 2006, 07:54
Well, someone had to...

Mornington Crescent!