PDA

View Full Version : Mover buffoonery (again)

frodo_monkey
7th Feb 2006, 21:12
Rumour has it that a mover has used one of the donks on the ASI/MPA 747 as a means of stopping a forklift... :} Meaning its out of action and requiring a new engine cowling!
Anybody know any more about it?
(my source is one of the Air Atlanta crew, should be reasonable gen!)

Always_broken_in_wilts
7th Feb 2006, 22:59
Having been down this avenue before the first thing we need to positively establish is that it was actually a mover, although I have absolutely no doubt frodo is correct as this sort of thing is par for the course for 'baggage crushers and jumbo's", but lets just wait for conformation:ok:

Southsh1te as a "shape shifting troll who got no further than the space cadet's" you have no valuable input to this thread so keep the **** out please.

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Kengineer-130
8th Feb 2006, 01:22
Yup, I can confirm that the mupppets/baggage smashers/747 smashers have struck (perhaps not the best word to use ;) ) again :{ a mere matter of months after finishing off a perfectly good set of pitot probes:} , I mean FFS it can't be hard to see a rarther large engine, but hey, I suppose it could happen to anyone (of the movers).

Number 4 engine has a rarther large tear and dent in the bypass duct/ thrust reverser, and there are lots of non-impressed pax holed up in transit :suspect: Top bombing muppets, I know the jet is being scrapped soon but they really DON'T need your help to do it :{ :mad:

But I wouldn't worry about it, one of the movers has probably "seen a bigger dent in his car" :} :} :ok: Keep up the good work

Conan the Librarian
8th Feb 2006, 01:40
Sorry to be a pedant, but has this happened at Fairford or Brize?

Conan

Spot 4
8th Feb 2006, 06:28
Conan
MPA normally referes to the islands as far away as a far away thing in the South Atlantic, that go by various names depending on whether or not you speak Spanish.

A logical guess is that ASI is a volcanic lump of rock about halfway between blighty and the aformentioned islands.

When I was in the mob, I flew as pax by Air Atlanta to Cherry Point NC (USA) and they had forgotten to load cups on board! So no tea for the entire journey, fond memories (NOT)

MrBernoulli
8th Feb 2006, 11:51
Why am I not surprised ....................

The Helpful Stacker
8th Feb 2006, 11:58
Coming to a mover section near you. (http://www.happytimeclowns.com/clown-car.jpg)

Stacker101
8th Feb 2006, 15:02
Well lets not give the Movers to much grief over this one as I heard it was an Auxillary Mover!! I heard he is a Stock Car racer in civvy street, he just had a flash back... Could happen to anybody!!!:\

RAYVON
8th Feb 2006, 15:25
Have been informed from theatre, that the AC was hit by a techie in a noddy(tractor) not a mover in a forklift!
Not all aircraft are hit by movers, just everyone assumes that as soon as an aircraft gets hit, its the movers.
If anyone has any info to challenge this, I would be interested to hear.

Conan the Librarian
8th Feb 2006, 16:04
Originally Posted by Conan the Librarian
Conan

What a Pillock! :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh: A lesson in not doing three things at once - Just saw the "747" and put two and two together to make at least five.

going to lie down somewhere dark...

Conan

Data-Lynx
8th Feb 2006, 16:11
Conan. Rayvon is right about the tractor which reversed into the No4 engine nacelle, yesterday morning at MPA. Jury appears to be out on who owned the driver. It may also be true that the 2* who got stuck on island after the incident at Fairford and went fishing, could be similarly inconvenienced.

Lord Trenchards Brat
8th Feb 2006, 16:50
I have been told by an Atlanta GE it was the same aircraft that had the pitot probes pushed through the skin - can anyone confirm?

The Helpful Stacker
8th Feb 2006, 16:52
I have been told by an Atlanta GE it was the same aircraft that had the pitot probes pushed through the skin - can anyone confirm?

I thought that was the one parked up at Dunsfold?

Out Of Trim
8th Feb 2006, 17:03
The Helpful Stacker

I thought that was the one parked up at Dunsfold?

No, the one at Dunsfold is a different one! G-BDXJ I believe!

Data-Lynx
8th Feb 2006, 17:10
I believe that TF-ARG is the bird still in MPA this evening with its new pitot heads; the white whale at Dunsfold should be the spare that was pensioned off at the end of 2005.

RayDarr
8th Feb 2006, 17:16
Oi Stacker 101, you be careful about what you say about Auxiliary movers, or Auxiliary anybody else for that matter. We know where you live!!! (said with mock menace and Belfast accent).

SUN headline 1 march 2006:
Shoc horror, person found wrapped in brown paper and bodge tape in large triwall box at main post office of Timbucktoo. I was set on by an unknown number of people says Mr Stacker. Even worse, they didn't put the correct postage on the box, and I was made to pay the excess before the postal workers would let me out. Nobody on 4624 Sqn RAuxAF was available for comment

The Helpful Stacker
8th Feb 2006, 17:19
Oi Stacker 101, you be careful about what you say about Auxiliary movers, or Auxiliary anybody else for that matter. We know where you live!!! (said with mock menace and Belfast accent).

SUN headline 1 march 2006:
Shoc horror, person found wrapped in brown paper and bodge tape in large triwall box at main post office of Timbucktoo. I was set on by an unknown number of people says Mr Stacker. Even worse, they didn't put the correct postage on the box, and I was made to pay the excess before the postal workers would let me out. Nobody on 4624 Sqn RAuxAF was available for comment

Wow, now I'm really scared, the auxiliaries are after me.

Best make sure I'm not on any RAF stations of a weekend.:p

ratty1
8th Feb 2006, 21:11
This statement from the movers..............

Certainly looks like another own goal. The PPRUNE website has a thread already, calling it 'Mover buffoonery again'. It also goes into detail about the damage to an engine and cowling.
With the ongoing Ops can 216sqn bail the stranded pax out this time.
Whatever the cause. (as we dont know the full facts) it only puts us movers in yet another bad light as a bunch of incompetents, whether it was human factors or mechanical. As ******** said can hardly be put down to a lack of manpower or excessive work. After all MPN is surely the best R n R det we have.

They have taken the blame.:ok:

Check here for further details

http://www.rafmovs.com/cpgn/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=429

polomint
8th Feb 2006, 23:45
Most recent update....(being in theatre I'm keeping a very close eye on this):(

The kite already here is now awaiting a new engine casing to be brought down from the UK. A chartered flight has been scheduled to arrive at MPA on Friday to depart on Saturday. They are effectively removing all the endulgees and R&R personnel from this flight so that the people waiting to leave can squeeze on. Good news for them!:ok:

It was unfortunatley a mover....who is in the med centre with shock.

The irony of all of this was that it was the UK-MPA flight exactly 4 months ago, same jet, that had the unfortunate prang with the steps:\

Ah well, it happens..good luck to those trying to get home, hope this really is sorted by the weekend:)

Polo:ok:

RAYVON
9th Feb 2006, 07:42
Is the said mover in the med centre for shock or his own safety? I imagine there are a lot of hacked off people looking for him.

RayDarr
9th Feb 2006, 09:08
At "The worlds greatest airport in the worlds greatest city" (Company statement, not mine) this sort of thing is a regular event. When it does, the jet is removed and given a major safety check. The bent cowling may also have caused damage to the engine bearers, wing structure, etc. Please tell me that our engineering friends ane giving the air bridge a full once over. Would hate for an engine to fall off half way back to UK.
Somewhere we have a nice photo of an electric baggage tug which struck the hold of a 737. Made a large hole (I mean HUGE) and fractured 3 of the frames. That was a very expensive dink. Driver of electric tug said his brakes failed (yeh right), and he bailed out leaving the tug to freewheel into the a/c at about 8 mph. (These things weigh about 2 ton ish).
We had another event in which a B747 driver forgot he was driving a B747SP, as he usually drove the Classic version. He therefore drove it right into the airbridge (jetty ) which made a very nice hole in his port wing.
Then there was the passenger coach driver who didn't see the wing of the DC9 some years back. Low wing and high driving position didn't help his case as the vehicle embedded itself in the wing, and the coach driver had his head taken off clean as you like. It all happens here you know.

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
10th Feb 2006, 14:53
Hi Gang;

Has the blame been stuck to anyone yet...or is it all going under the carpet..being so far away and all that.

After all, what's a few days wait for some R&R pongos???

Might be a bit miffed if it was my end-of-det gozomie bird though...but then again I was 2 days late into theatre because of Tri* radar snags all those year ago.

Later...
Regards to Most;
'J' Bloke.

Edited for red wine speeling;)

RAYVON
10th Feb 2006, 14:55
I think the movers have taken the hit on this one (pardon the pun) a rescue A/C is being chartered to get the unhappy punters home.

Nibbled2DeathByDucks
10th Feb 2006, 15:05
Rumour has it that something similar may have happened in Norfolk, UK :hmm:

16 blades
10th Feb 2006, 22:30
They have taken the blame.

My my, there IS a first time for everything.

It was unfortunatley a mover....who is in the med centre with shock.

Electric, hopefully......

Words fail me......yet again....

16B

Kitbag
10th Feb 2006, 22:37
Nibbled2DeathByDucks

Please elaborate.

Jobza Guddun
10th Feb 2006, 22:58
Nibbled2DeathByDucks

Can't have, surely? Saw him leave this evening..........as I drove through the area NOT from the end of the runway!!!

Kitbag
10th Feb 2006, 23:16
Have seen at least one airframe reduced to GIA and another undergo a huge series of checks following occurences whilst in the hands of aircrew. Funnily enough these haven't made it onto Pprune. Wonder why?

6foottanker
11th Feb 2006, 00:00
It was 100% definitely a mover, manoevering his tow truck with baggage trailer backwards at high speed with no marshallers. But all is not lost, apparently the SAMO and DSAMO are both for the manual-down-the-trousers and hats-on treatment a well! 3 birds with one stone, nice one!

The good news is that a rescue Tristar has arrived to whisk all those worried people home. But it gets better. The waiting inbound pax were told a new excuse on me....namely that the wait for their baggage was due to it being an 'unfamiliar aircraft'. Must be the lack of ROYAL AIR FORCE written on the side that foxed 'em. Crikey, let's hope a C17 doesn't arrive or we're all bggrd!

:O :O :O

polomint
11th Feb 2006, 14:50
Update:

Within the last 25 minutes the B747 and the civilian Tristar have left and are on their way to ASI. The engine casing was successfully replaced and 25 damn lucky passengers who couldnt fit on the Tristar have a nice 747 to make the most of!

Polo:ok:

Bracketry
13th Feb 2006, 14:19
Can't quite recall the name of the publication, but one exists in the forces whose purpose is to highlight various aviation accidents/near misses. The only reason I get to peruse it is because it's taped up above the urinals at brize norton!
The publication is, I think, bi-monthly and features gaffes (Some being serious enough to endander life) from all walks of military aviation. From what I can see, movers do cock up, sometimes with highly inconvenient consequences. However, it would seem that other ground trades and even aircrew cock up with equal, perhaps even greater, frequency.
When the movers cock up, 200 odd passengers are instantly hacked off with them, because there's no hiding what has happened. If an engineer makes an equivalent mistake on a fast jet the best case scenario is that the crew are peeved and their sortie is cancelled. The worst case scenario is that someone dies.
Bearing in mind that I'm impartial, I think it might be an idea to reign in the condemnation of the muppets. (At least until they crunch another frame!)

FJJP
13th Feb 2006, 14:48
When a thread degenerates into an inter-trade slanging match it gets really boring.

Give it a rest and wait for the official report.

ratty1
5th Mar 2006, 21:37
When a thread degenerates into an inter-trade slanging match it gets really boring.

Give it a rest and wait for the official report.

Here is a report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/03/05/nbags05.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/03/05/ixhome.html
(http://www.pprune.org/forums/Mover%20prang)
£600,000 Whoops. How long is that going to take him to pay back?

Safeware
5th Mar 2006, 22:46
An RAF officer said: "This has to be one of the most expensive prangs in the history of the Air Force."A man of limited experience then.

sw

Onan the Clumsy
6th Mar 2006, 03:19
An RAF officer said: "This has to be one of the most expensive prangs in the history of the Air Force." I bet there have been mess bills bigger than that.

Mmmmnice
6th Mar 2006, 08:31
Do we still employ people who say "prang" to people holding notepads? Do I have to regrow a ridiculous moustache? Do I have to try and be nice to movers? Is it time to leave?
Answers on a postcard..........

Safety_Helmut
6th Mar 2006, 08:50
The full quote:
An RAF officer said: "This has to be one of the most expensive prangs in the history of the Air Force. The luggage handler is very embarrassed."
Luggage Handler ? :E Very embarrassed ? :confused:

It's good to see the spokesman had such a good grip on the situation, as usual !

S_H

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
6th Mar 2006, 16:52
Twas probably the SAMO!!!:ok:

Regards..
'J' Bloke:cool:

peppermint_jam
6th Mar 2006, 19:09
I once witnessed a 'prang' Seeb, short of it was the tractor driver overstressed the towing arm, snapped it and drove the tractor into the front of a Nimrod. Much applause was to be heard around the pan. New radome had to be flown out from the UK, which resulted in the 'mighty hunter' being grounded for a good 2 weeks! If memory serves me correctly (it was only 2001) the driver was an MT Warrant Officer! Beautiful! I suspect that prang might have cost a few quid!

Safety_Helmut
6th Mar 2006, 19:13
There is a picture of that out there somewhere, tug embedded half way into the radome, with half the towing arm still attached and half on the ground.

S_H

dantura
6th Mar 2006, 21:44
Yeah, I took the picture in Seeb.
Its on the caption competition thread on page 86.
I'd put a link to it, but thats far too technical for me, sry.

regards

Dantura:ok:

ratty1
6th Mar 2006, 21:53
Here is the link you are after. Number 1713. Nimrod crunch (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153632&page=86):ok:

country calls
6th Mar 2006, 22:55
I was enjoying the sun at the more basic end of Oman when the Nimrod had its nose bust. It was indeed an MT Warrant Officer who the previous week had charged a poor SAC for scuffing the paint in a reversing incident, while moving a Land Cruiser belonging to some big cheese.
To further add to his sins exactly one week to the day after the Nimrod crunch, he was moving one of our Alberts and used the wrong gear to move off in or somesuch feeble excuse, completely wrecking the towing bracket (the shear bolt didn't).
He went home shortly after.

Echo 5
7th Mar 2006, 05:20
So..........It's not just Movers then. Looks like the MT professionals have their fair share of Buffoons !! :)

Safety_Helmut
7th Mar 2006, 07:11
the MT professionals
an oxymoron surely, there is nothing very professional about your average MT driver.

S_H

dantura
7th Mar 2006, 11:08
Sorry Guys, but in his defence,

It was a WO MTD his name is John ..... if I remember correctly. A very nice bloke, who, instead of doing his WO bit and managing,in a nice comfy air con'd office, he was out on the ground putting in 16 hr days. Why? Because there was only 1 other guy on det Q'd to drive the tugs, Not his fault. So he did the usual 'can do' thing we all do and kept the A/C flying. He was obviously v tired/stressed and not perceptive enough to feel the tow bar breaking. According to the inquiry the tow bar was faulty due to incorrect maintenance!
Also, I do not recall him charging anyone in the whole det. I travelled up with him and shared an office until he left??? but I might be proven otherwise.

No, I'm not an MTD by the way.:)

Dantura