PDA

View Full Version : Education?

AaronBaird
7th Feb 2006, 21:11
Hi, I just found this forum at school and I have a few questions for those of u with more knowlege than me. Im pretty sure i want to be a pilot but to be honest im quite confused about the whole process. Currently im in my freshman year at college working twords but im not even sure if i need to be here. Im looking at a skills directory from oxford aviation training in AZ (where i live) and also at the school Embry Riddle (SP?). Both seem to be their own university requiring no outside education. I also know that there are private lessons and schools focused on just getting you certified. Im not sure if I want to fly airlines, or smaller private jets either. Is there a way to train for both at the same time and choose later on, or do i have to choose now? Price is also an issue, im on schollership right now and im sure Oxford and Embry are not cheap. What do i need to do to become a pilot? Thanks for your time.
Aaron

bafanguy
7th Feb 2006, 21:58
Go to college...go in the military ( all reports are that THEY pay you to learn to fly )...get your PVT along the way if you just have to see what it's like.

AaronBaird
8th Feb 2006, 17:42
yes, i have thought about the military for a while. However I have learned two things: From my understanding of those who join the military to be a pilot ony a percentage (less than 50?) are chosen to be pilots and the ones that arnt are stuck in the military doing a ground job for however many years. Furthermore, theres no way to choose what you want to fly. Also, Im not a fan of the military or war, infact im quite morraly agianst it. Surely the Military cant be the only way to become a pilot.

Aaron

stue
8th Feb 2006, 20:51
The Military isnt the only way. But the other way will cost you, lots!:eek: At least it does in the UK, i dont know about across the pond.