PDA

View Full Version : Great Smoke Breaks, Around the World

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
7th Feb 2006, 19:44
The Late George Brown and friends, lost in the slip pattern, Kabul
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/SirPeterHardingsLovechild/weegeorge.jpg

RayDarr
8th Feb 2006, 12:01
Still tired and emotional I trust. And I thought I looked old!!!!

The Helpful Stacker
8th Feb 2006, 12:39
Great Smoke Breaks, Around the World

Where's that picture of the two RAF Plods having a tab whilst standing in a puddle of Avtur spilt from a multiple pile-up in Iraq?

Surely thats got to rank as a 'great smoke break'?

:rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
8th Feb 2006, 16:58
I was at a skydiving meet once and, along with a friend, ambled over to admire an aging DC3 sitting on the ramp.

We noticed a haggard, been there, done that sort of chap, standing near the MLG hosing it up and down with what looked like (because it was) a bug sprayer. Pump pump pump squirt suirt squirt (that's the bug sprayer of course).

"I say" I said "Watcha doing?"

Without looking at us, he took the lit cigarette out of his mouth and said "I'm cleaning all the soot and oil of the undercarriage"

"Really." I responded What with?"

He turned and looked at us through the haze of droplets, his cigarette a dull glow behind the cloud and said "Gasoline"

:ooh:

Without looking at each other yet with the coordination of an olympic synchronised swim team, we both took one very large step backwards.

11th Feb 2006, 21:14
Where's that picture of the two RAF Plods having a tab whilst standing in a puddle of Avtur spilt from a multiple pile-up in Iraq?
Surely thats got to rank as a 'great smoke break'?
:rolleyes:
http://www.e-goat.co.uk/photoplog/images/449/medium/1_RAFP_RTA.jpg

The Helpful Stacker
12th Feb 2006, 09:03
SirPeterHardingsLovechild - Thats the one.

Hey, they're getting the same rate of pay as technicians now those bright chaps.

Obviously their investigative/self-preservation skills are a little on the low side though.

Plod1 - "Whats that smell?"

Plod2 - "Well its the fuel in'it."

Plod1 - "Ohhhh {pause} fancy a tab?"

Perhaps the lack of Airdog Rover explains for their poor choice of smoking location, dogs being after all the brain on a chain.:rolleyes:

FJJP
12th Feb 2006, 09:17
...actually, an old hairy crew chief used to routinely demonstrate to us young 'uns that AVTUR is extremely difficult to light casually - it needed a hefty high temp flame/spark.

How?

He used to stub out cigarettes in it...

The Helpful Stacker
12th Feb 2006, 09:31
...actually, an old hairy crew chief used to routinely demonstrate to us young 'uns that AVTUR is extremely difficult to light casually - it needed a hefty high temp flame/spark.

How?

Really? In the middle of the desert?

Last year we were routinely receiving fuel from CONLOG's (as pictured above burnt-out) into the BFI at Basrah that was around the mid to high 50oC's. As the flashpoint (temperature at which a substance will produce a vapour capable of ignition) of Avtur is 38oC the fuel was already well into the realms of 'don't put cigarettes out in it' territory.

Yes I have seen the "look you can put cigarettes out in it" test myself, but it was in a test lab at West Moors when I was doing my Pet Lab course and oh, it was bloody freezing.

Actually....:rolleyes:

filthytabber
14th Feb 2006, 17:02
You do look very fetching with you eyes blacked out, are you Special? I will start rumaging my phots soonest chap

umba
14th Feb 2006, 20:39
No, it was before SPHLC had his teeth done!

14th Feb 2006, 21:03
To be honest, they did need doing.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/SirPeterHardingsLovechild/teeth2.jpg

TOPBUNKER
15th Feb 2006, 01:19
Perhaps Its Time...
to bin this thread before Chrissy sees it.
SCROGGS just do it!
(For those who don't know, George only recently died, leaving behind a widow and 2 young(ish) children).

6th Mar 2006, 09:11
Yep, it's still there.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/SirPeterHardingsLovechild/RoseGarden.jpg

woptb
6th Mar 2006, 11:33
Had many a break at Rosie Gee's,but never went fast enough to smoke:E

On_The_Top_Bunk
6th Mar 2006, 11:48
That's a barrel at XMAS.

Fined for appearing on a public forum even with the cunning disguise. ;)

umba
7th Mar 2006, 23:11
Hats off to the LEAN team for making J2 so tropical. Never knew Stu Grange looked so good in pink!

Krystal n chips
8th Mar 2006, 15:00

How?

Doesn't always quite go according to plan though. Celle ( possibly Soest--can't quite remember ) mid 70's just before Easter and two of the AAC's finest put this theory to the test--on the drip tray under a Scout. My mate who went up from Bruggen to make the damage Cat. assessment pronounced it Cat.3.5:hmm: --but was more p££sed off by the fact he had missed 2 out 4 days gliding over the Easter grant as a result of their "experiment". :p

10th Jun 2006, 10:26
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/SirPeterHardingsLovechild/138degshadow2.jpg

137°F - 58°C
Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum.

Gainesy
10th Jun 2006, 17:19
Well, fresh beats Compo every time.