PDA

View Full Version : Lap children

chornedsnorkack
7th Feb 2006, 14:20
If a lap child is carried to a lavatory by an accompanying adult to be changed, and the craft then decompresses, how many masks drop out?

Also, is there a rule that there can only be one lap child in a row because there is only one extra mask?

If yes, on which seat would a lap child be carried in a full narrowbody?

Not in a exit row, that is not allowed. Bulkheads might be preferred, but the bulkhead row might be taken by another lap child.

In an ordinary coach row... If the lap child is to be changed, this means climbing over 2 sleeping strangers with the seatbacks ahead firmly reclined into their knees. As normal in Coach, but the difference being the need to carry a lap child while climbing.

If the child is in an aisle seat, there are 2 passengers who need to climb over/through a sleeping child with a seatback firmly reclined against the child.

If the child is in a middle seat, both of the problems apply.

So, where are lap children normally seated?

apaddyinuk
7th Feb 2006, 14:25
I think you will find a more appropriate term to be infant!!!
Toilets onboard all tend to have two O2 masks installed and depending on the aircraft most sets of seat tend to have extra masks installed above the seats. I know on the Airbus theres a way of checking how many masks are available above by pulling down a little tag from the unit but its hard to explain where it is.
As for your standard coach seat, its difficult to get out of these seats at any time regardless of whether you have an infant on your lap or beside you. If you choose a window you accept the fact that you are caged in and will need to disturb people to get out (unless your an acrobat) and if you choose an aisle then you expect to be held to ransom by the regularity of your neighbours bowels and bladder!!!!
However, on your average longhaul flight if you have an infant its worth trying to get your hands on the bassinett row!

TFlyguy
7th Feb 2006, 16:15
Why bother going to the toilet when you can do what I saw passengers doing the other day and change the baby on the seat!

Especially nice during the meal service!

TightSlot
7th Feb 2006, 16:35
Specific a/c types in different configurations have specific locations for infants on laps, according to the number of extra oxygen masks available at the overhead PSU: As a general rule, at each seat block (triple or quad) the number of mouths must never exceed the number of masks, and there is one spare mask for the use of infants. Cabin Crew are required to police this both on boarding and throughout the flight.
On some a/c, certain masks in each PSU will stretch across the aisle to the other side seatblock.
Toilets (and usually crew jumpseats) have 2 drop down masks.
Worth bearing in mind that in most (but not all) cases, an infant will have 2 adults accompanying, and most check-in agents worth their salt will attempt to provide that family with an empty seat when available. This minimises inconvenience for both family and others: Yes, I know that this is not always the case...