PDA

View Full Version : Glider Towing with a Tiger Moth

gaxan
7th Feb 2006, 14:02
Does anyone out there know what is involved in attaching a Tost or Otfur tow hook to aTiger. DH support where helpful , but there is not much data available.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Feb 2006, 14:51
There used to be a Red and Yellow Tiger Moth, G-ALWW at Bidford Gliding Centre that had a hook fitted and regularly towed gliders...Maybe a call to them might help.:ok:

Chuffer

bletchleytugie
7th Feb 2006, 19:36
Ring the Design Approvals chaps at SRG, Gatwick. They had a set a few years ago.

What do want to tow?

MBX35
8th Feb 2006, 18:48
I used to tug with a Tiger moth back in the early 60's. The Power budget is quite tight and because of the towing speed of the gliders in those days (55kts) the attitude was quite nose high and therefore the forward visability much reduced. I think a modern heavy glass glider would be beyond the tigers capabilities

JW411
8th Feb 2006, 19:01
A good friend of mine got "tipped in" by a Grunau Baby that got too high on a tow in Germany. He broke almost every bone in his body and lost his memory for several months.

The Grunau Baby was a very light machine but it did have the problem of only having a belly hook.

I certainly would not give any consideration to towing anything bigger than a Ka 6 with a Tiger Moth!

The Tiger Moth has just about enough power to look after itself.

Having said that, I once (and I mean ONCE) had a tow in an ASK 13 with a pupil behind a J3 Cub. I never ever was tempted to repeat the experience. Thank God for the curvature of the Earth!

RatherBeFlying
8th Feb 2006, 20:57
I saw a GB get too high on tow before the pilot released and subsequently bent it on the downwind landing.

The tow pilot used the usual speed for the Blanik -- 70 kt. -- wayyyy too fast for the GB.

While glider pilots do have the responsibility to advise the tow pilot of the desired airspeed, the GB was a club machine, but seldom flown.

Well run clubs with a small number of types (in this case two) make sure their tow pilots are clued in.