PDA

View Full Version : Bologna ...

FullyFlapped
7th Feb 2006, 12:53
Anyone flown to Bologna ? Need to go in April, and I understand the main airport has no Avgas. Does anyone know a good alternative ?
If there are any real Italian experts on here, I have the same question regarding Venice ...!
Many thanks,
FF :ok:

Ni Thomas
7th Feb 2006, 14:31
Lucca (LIQL) - 53nm to the SW - It has fuel and it's friendly (Nice town too)
Ferrara (LIPF) - 22nm NW of Bologna - Reasonable restaurant but you have to haggle for fuel (threaten to stay ANOTHER night is how we managed to scrounge some!) :confused:
Venezia (San Nicolo) (LIPV) - Grass - longish, smoothish. 2hrs PPR notice for ex-Shengen traffic required. Handling - Venice itself is a boat ride across the lagoon - Watch for large (tall) passenger ships crossing threshold of runway 24 due risk of scratching their paintwork! :cool:

Best go on to Portoroz (LJPZ) - Much friendlier, cheaper fees & fuel and a glass of slivovisch (or whatever the local paint-stripper is called) for the pilot at the reception desk. Plenty of nearby accommodation (Try the Hotel Parma (I think it was called) just up the road (and ask for a plate of langoustines for dinner)) :ok:

cblinton@blueyonder.
7th Feb 2006, 15:56
As NT said, Lucca is one of Italy's little gems and should not be missed if you are nearby. Very friendly airfield with a lovely town.

Fuel is not always available at St Nicolo so phone ahead if you need it.:ok:

pushapproved
7th Feb 2006, 16:16
I guess you are flying a specific aircraft but failing that you could perhaps hire a diesel version of something - more economic and burns Jet-A1!

PENNINE BOY
7th Feb 2006, 20:13
They have a Flying Club on the airfield, so would presume they have avgas available

Ni Thomas
7th Feb 2006, 20:19
Pennine -
Flying Club = Avgas - It ain't necessarily so.
- They seem to have AVGAs for their own club aircraft and are sometimes VERY unwilling to give you any - especially if their stock is low and the next delivery is 3 weeks away. (One guess as to who suffered that reason?) :mad:

Legalapproach
7th Feb 2006, 20:49
I went into Bologna last summer ad they were extremely helpful although I didn't need fuel and the aeroclub was closed. Forli had Avgas (and you can pretend you are Ryanair and it is Bologna). What's your route as there are probably places en route that you can refuel inbound or outbound (Palma had Avgas for instance as did Aosta and Albenga)?

FullyFlapped
8th Feb 2006, 08:41
Firstly, thanks for the replies guys - very helpful!

Secondly, Legal, route not yet planned, other than a very vague one (UK - Bologna - as DCT as possible with one fuel stop, return trip has overnight stop in the Venice area but otherwise similar). There seems to be some substantial "lumpy bits" on the way, so I guess some careful planning will be required !

What route(s) did you guys use ?

FF :ok:

Ni Thomas
8th Feb 2006, 09:53
Outbound Route:-
1) Bournemouth - Charleville Meziers(LFQV) - Camp & Fuel
2) Ch.Meziers - via Colmar Hussain - Donaushingen (EDTD) - Fuel
3) Donaushingen - via 'KPT'/Garmisch/Innsbruck/Brenner Pass/Bolzano - Ferrara(LIPF) - Camp & Fuel(sold my soul to get it!)
4) Ferrara - Via 'CHI'/Coastal route - Venezia(San Nicolo)(LIPV) and then on to Portoroz(LJPZ)

Return Route:- From Hungary & Slovenia
1) Venezia San Nicolo - Via 'CHI'/'FRZ' - Lucca(LIQL) - Hotel & Fuel.
2) Lucca - Via VRP"Sestri Levanti" - Albenga(LIMG) (Note:- Genoa ATC wouldn't let us fly through their zone (never on the 3 occasions I've been that way!) Instead, routed direct across the wet stuff (it's only 50nm - no problems if you're happy to do it - with the right gear!) @ Albenga - Fuelled up.
3) Albenga - via Coastal route & 'NIZ' - Avignon(LFMV) - Fuel
4) Avignon - Limoges(LFBL) - Hotel & Fuel
5) Limoges - Cherbourg(LFRC) - Fuel
6) Cherbourg - Bournemouth.

Other times went via Elba(LIRJ)/Propriano(LFKO)/Cannes(LFMD/Castres(LFCK)/Marmande(LFDM)/Rennes(LFRD)/Bournemouth

All in Grumman AA1
PM me if you want more details. If I can do it - anyone can!

Windrusher
8th Feb 2006, 13:04
Just to add a recommendation for Trento (Mattarello). I spent a couple of years in the town, and flew with the gliding club there. The CFI is the airfield manager, and I spent hours chatting to the controllers in the tower. Avgas is definitely available, there's a great restaurant by the tower (and hotel if you're staying overnight), and a delightful museum based upon (but not limited to) the old Caproni company. It's a popular stop en-route south from Austria; ATC in English from those that need it, but a word or two of Italian will win a lot of friends! Oh, and spectacular scenery.

Windrusher