PDA

View Full Version : Reading Recommendations

waco
7th Feb 2006, 10:46
Deat All

The annual hols are not far off now....am therefore seeking quality aviation reading material for the trip.

Your recommendations are much appreciated !

Cheers

Waco

ps presently finishing a Mighty Eighth novel "A Real Good War" by Sam Halpert. An excellent read !

treadigraph
7th Feb 2006, 11:40
Waco, plenty of excellent recommendations in this thread... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65903)

Might be worth bumping to the top to see if we get some new contributions.

Cheers

Treadders

PPRuNe Pop
7th Feb 2006, 13:01
I am currently reading 'Fate is the Hunter' - for about the eigth time I think. It is a great read with mind blowing chapters on how it was in the early days and in WW2.

I also re-read Don Middleton's 'Test Pilots' regularly, which stirs the senses more than a little. Those men, the first test pilots, offered their lives so that we can fly safely now. What an epitath!

PPP

treadigraph
7th Feb 2006, 16:30
Totally agree with PPP's recommendation of Fate is the Hunter - picked it up in a second hand bookshop recently; have read it three times in as many months!

Bof
9th Feb 2006, 00:22
Just finished "Luck and the Lancaster" by Harry Yates. Excellent read in the mould of First Light. Postulated three main causes of early demise. Enemy action,Technical failures and personal screw-ups. He vowed to eliminate or at least minimise the last one and took care to hone his knowledge and skills to a fine edge. It obviously added to the "luck" factor.