PDA

View Full Version : What is with Hotel/With Lima in ATC?

etkuo
7th Feb 2006, 10:08
What is with Hotel/With Lima in ATC?

jabberwok
7th Feb 2006, 10:58
It means you have the ATIS broadcast with that identifying letter.

Gargleblaster
7th Feb 2006, 11:08
"... and we have Whiskey... " is my favourite.

Went flying once with my wife and information Whiskey was in effect both when we departed and arrived. She couldn't understand why I was telling ATC that we had Whiskey, did I have a bottle in my flight bag or what ?

Regular Cappuccino
7th Feb 2006, 11:15

And - "We've been Tango'd" :D

Lost_luggage34
7th Feb 2006, 11:32
And we have Echo ... echo ... echo

The old ones are the best !

etkuo
7th Feb 2006, 11:41
It means you have the ATIS broadcast with that identifying letter.thanks for your reply! but sorry i am still not quite sure/ understand

Chilli Monster
7th Feb 2006, 11:58
ATIS - Automated Terminal Information Service.

A continuous loop of weather and airfield data transmitted on a frequency which the pilot dials up and listens to when inbound / outbound. Saves ATC having to give everybody the weather individually.

Each broadcast starts with an Information letter - first one of the day normally Alpha. When the information changes, the letter changes. This way ATC know which information the aircraft has and can give them any relevant changes if necessary.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Feb 2006, 13:09
OK.. two from the old git...

1. Many moons ago whilst there was a heightening of the Pakistan/India problems a PIA 707 was inbound.. I asked him if he had India: "Oh no sir, but we will have it very soon". I still don't know if he meant the ATIS!

2. One Christmas someone who shall remain nameless - but his initials are Terry Ward - did the ATIS and we were amazed to have an Iberia flight call us with "Information Fandabidosi received". (Those incarcerated at Swanwick Penal Institution can confirm this with the Man).

etkuo
7th Feb 2006, 13:27
ATIS - Automated Terminal Information Service.

A continuous loop of weather and airfield data transmitted on a frequency which the pilot dials up and listens to when inbound / outbound. Saves ATC having to give everybody the weather individually.

Each broadcast starts with an Information letter - first one of the day normally Alpha. When the information changes, the letter changes. This way ATC know which information the aircraft has and can give them any relevant changes if necessary.Actually I know what ATIS is. I just dunno what is with Lima/ with Hotel, etc.

But with your explaination, i understand it now. Thanks

Some of my friends in my school(they are also aviation enthusiasts) also dun understand this. But i will tell them tmr when i meet them:)

ComJam
7th Feb 2006, 16:06
My favourite was Dublin a few years ago:

"This is Dublin Information Alpha, timed at 02:00 hours in the mornin'....."

:D

Green on, Go!
9th Feb 2006, 03:26
"XXX Approach, G'day , YYY on descent to niner thousand, visual on top of juliet...":E

Data Dad
9th Feb 2006, 09:45
And there was the BA Highland Division 748 driver who used to occasionally report "Chief Buthalezi on board". Took me a while to twig that one!

:ok: :ok:

(ZULU!)

DD

N5528P
9th Feb 2006, 10:27

The controllers at FFZ went crazy when three Cessnas reported ready for taxi having Jack Daniels, Jim Beam and Johnny Walker with us.

Regards, Bernhard

BOAC
9th Feb 2006, 10:39
Anyone going to answer etkuo's question?:confused:

PPRuNe Radar
9th Feb 2006, 10:49
BOAC

See posts #2 and #7 :ok:

notdavegorman
9th Feb 2006, 15:58
Was hour building for my CPL out in Florida during their 'Thanks Giving' holiday. The ATC at one of the airfields I used added some festive spirit by replacing the normal ATIS letter identifier with information Turkey and Butterball etc. Unfortunately they didn't take my suggestion and replace information Mike with information Mickey Mouse. Not quite festive, but I was looking forward to hearing the good ol' boys "checkin' in wid ya wid Mickey Mouse information". The thought made me chuckle anyway...

Incidentally, when asked by one of the rednecks filling my Cherokee up with Avgas why I was flying during Thanks Giving, he was less that amused when I told him (bearing in mind this was just weeks after 9-11), that I was an Englishman, therefore Thanks Giving meant about as much to me as Ramadam did to him.

BOAC
9th Feb 2006, 18:21
Aah! I thought the question was what does 'with Hotel/with Lima' (in a wunner!) mean - doh!

I'm off to find some sackcloth:)

Another nice ATC 'gem' was the warm welcome we used to get from Vienna Area control when we flew the BA LGW-VIE schedule, c/s '82WW' - "Good evening, Speedbird 82 Double Scotch"

javelin
9th Feb 2006, 19:21
On dark boring nights coming into MAN, I have been known to report with a Llama, with Echo, echo, echo but fave is

'Hello Manch, XXX 123, Minibus with Mike and John, through 130 for 90, 340kts to the centre fix 06L :ok:

eyeinthesky
9th Feb 2006, 19:50
Not forgetting "that F***ing Danair"!!:) ;)

Chaos Controller
9th Feb 2006, 20:17
During Christmas a few years ago the woman reading the ATIS manually thought she should make it a little nicer, and instead of the norman Alpha, Bravo and so on, the decided to use words that people could connect with Christmas instead, and one of the boradcasts was 'This is information Turkey'...
Apparently one of the pilots had a rather bad day, and on initial call said '... and can you please tell your ATIS-lady to stick the tyrkey a certain place'...

So much for X-mas spirit...

kookabat
10th Feb 2006, 05:36
Banktwosn (NSW) ATIS on Christmas Eve this year was "Ho-ho-ho-tel"

Which would be funny if it was original.