PDA

View Full Version : Flying Equipment requirements??

The Swinging Monkey
6th Feb 2006, 18:31
Ladies & Gentlemen,

A good friend of mine recently advised me that, under current regulations, there is a requiremnt for anyone flying an ex military aircraft on a permit to wear the correct flying clothing ie flying suit etc.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?
Thank you and kind regards
The Swinging Monkey

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Feb 2006, 10:32
Why let the truth get in the way of a good rumour?

Annex E of CAP632 (Operation of 'Permit to Fly' Ex-Military Aircraft on the UK register) details appropriate levels of flying clothing, but bear in mind this is for aircraft with a MAUW of 2730kg or more.

It can be found here:

CAP632 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP632.pdf)

So dont panic if you are flying a Piper Cub:ok:

jabberwok
7th Feb 2006, 10:50
So dont panic if you are flying a Piper Cub

... or a Tiger Moth. However, in the latter case, clothing to ensure a reasonable level of comfort and warmth are definite requirements - which tends to gravitate towards getting the original kit.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Feb 2006, 11:56
or a Tiger Moth.

Quite! However, I didnt mention this type, as all bar one in the UK are operated on C's of A

foxmoth
7th Feb 2006, 12:06
or a Tiger Moth. However, in the latter case, clothing to ensure a reasonable level of comfort and warmth are definite requirements - which tends to gravitate towards getting the original kit.

I would not want this regulated though - there is nothing better if you get a really good summers day than flying a Tiger Moth in just shorts and Tshirt - especially non radio with no helmet.:ok:

EGBKFLYER
7th Feb 2006, 12:32
Shorts and T-shirt? No helmet?!:eek:

Have you any idea how dangerous that is?! You'll be wanting to start the engine with your bare hands next ;). I may have to report you to EArSA or whatever it's called right away. Aircraft are there as a focus for regulation, not to be enjoyed as you wheel around the sky, dancing with the clouds... Sorry, got carried away there. Now, where's my red tape...

Genghis the Engineer
7th Feb 2006, 13:18
Sounds like the classic case of a club setting some perfectly sensible safety rules for that club, and somebody getting the message that this was law, rather than just a local regulations.

G

The Swinging Monkey
8th Feb 2006, 08:02
Thank you everyone for your inputs.
I don't have avery strong view either way, although I do lean (slightly) towards wearing the correct kit if possible.
Kind rergards
TSM