PDA

View Full Version : Seeking: Any good news??

AusFlygal
6th Feb 2006, 01:18
As a commercial student with only 18.3 hrs to go until I reach my 70 hr minimum command time to be eligible to do the test....., I need to turn my thoughts to what direction I will head when I get that elusive licence.

I read all of your comments with interest and an open mind. But my question is: does anyone have any good news to report? Anything at all? I understand that this is a forum for airing one's views etc. etc. but there are those of us who are looking for a glimmer of hope that all the money, time and effort spent pursuing this goal hasn't been a waste of time. Being a new cpl and a female as well - I need to know that there is something to look forward to out there.

:)

Captain Nomad
6th Feb 2006, 02:13
After doing my CPL I did an instructor's rating and picked up work straight away. Haven't been out of a flying job since. Worked two casual flying jobs at the same time for a bit. Flown through almost every state of Australia. Been paid to do what others can only dream about doing on holidays. Met interesting people, been asked to do interesting jobs.

Hard work? You better believe it. Spent plenty of time going the extra mile with my jobs. Spent plenty of time working a non-flying job at night while flying during the day. Spent plenty of time looking for jobs (and getting nocked back) while keeping the ones I had. Spent plenty of time wondering what makes me do this?! Only got my first 'full-time' paid flying job after working 5 years in the industry. Would I do it all again? - begger for punishment yes! Do I still enjoy my work and flying now? - absolutely!

My experience was through a pretty tough time for employment in the flying game too though. I know plenty of others who had a much better run. Don't ever underestimate the importance of attitude! It has more to do with how far you will go in this industry than most people would care to acknowledge! Also, keep your connections and don't burn your bridges - you'll be surprised what wonders they can do for you despite the naysayers.

maxgrad
6th Feb 2006, 02:18
what Capt Nomad said. What sort of office do you want to be in ? One with a desk or one with an everchanging view. Worth it? Damn right it is.

Charliethewonderdog
6th Feb 2006, 02:26
Know your rights on work conditions and demand them.

http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/Search/view.asp?docid=262211&query=(GENERAL%20AVIATION)&page=34&quickview=Y

Look for companies that pay the AWArd and start applying to them.
Don't sell yourself short and Don't work for free. Hopefully you will be in the industry for a longtime so you dont want feed the cancer that has been eating away at this industry for years by working for crappy conditions.

Asking an employer if they pay the Award used to be a looked down upon and those pilots who did probably didn't get the job, now it's different.

Everyone should be asking in cover letters if the company pays the Award or not not. It's all about atitude changing and it is. Slowly.

Good luck.

34R
6th Feb 2006, 02:50
The journey is what you have to look forward too.

I remember asking the exact question when i was in your shoes, which wasn't that far ago mind you.
Amid all the doom and gloom you read here, there is an occasional positive post and they are the ones you need to remember. Hopefully you started your training with your eyes open, by that I mean with an understanding of the challenges finding any work will present you. That is usually the time you find out the most about yourself and whether this is really what you want to do.
I was hoping someone could gaze into their crystal ball and tell me it was all going to work out, and of course woke up to myself and got on with the job.

The first job came with persistance. It also meant (for me) living in the middle of nowhere which presented its own set of challenges, but that was my choice. I learned more about flying than i ever could have in any flying school, and more importantly, about myself over the next few years, and slowly the progressions began to follow.

4 years later after gaining my cpl I'm now about to start my dream flying job! It may not be everyones idea of a dream job, but it is mine. So to eventually answer your question, yes there is good news out there and yes there is something to look forward too.

Good luck to you.

tinpis
6th Feb 2006, 04:27
Unlike the blokes in here if it doesnt all turn out right you will still able to make someones dinner.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/kissflowersgr.gif

Captain Nomad
6th Feb 2006, 04:31
OOOooh!:ooh: If was's you tin I'd be duckin' for cover!:}

Capt Claret
6th Feb 2006, 04:55
AusFlygal,

A good question from a beginner, and given some of the rantings and vitriol that Dunnundan's seem better at than the rest of the world, not unreasonable. Allow me to climb up on my soap box. :\

After twenty years in the undustry, I'd summarise it as a **** of an industry for location stability or job security. Personal relationships can take a hammering, and the fact that pilots seem to have numerours wives (not concurrently though := ) is not just because some have wandering eyes. The life of a pilot, in most cases, involves a fair amount of moving around the country until one gets really established with a long term employer, or is really lucky.

I don't know too many pilots who have not been made redundant at some time or another. I had three experiences in the early 90's, some I'm sure have had more, others less.

You'll meet some male pilots, though not too many any more, who truely believe you should be back in the kitchen. You'll meet some females, who believe you're trangressing and trying to be one-of-the-boys. Mostly, you'll meet people that will accept you for you, and your worth will be judged by your natural ability, and your willingness to learn and become ever more proficient.

You'll learn to fly old clunkers and then have the joy of getting into something with all the bells-and-whistles. You might find your niche sticking with the old clunkers. No doubt there will be hurdles to overcome. Some employers will be great to work for, others horrid. I doubt any will be perfect.

As others on this thread have said with regard to having their time over again, I would without hesitation. Despite the downs, the ups for me have out weighed them. I'm paid to go to work and have a good time.

If flying is something you really want to do. And you have the aptitude for it, don't let anyone talk you out of it, and most importanly, don't give up. :ok:

Now to climb down from the soap box without falling off!

tinpis
6th Feb 2006, 05:10
Damn Clarrie I shed a little tear then. http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/crybl.gif

Capt Claret
6th Feb 2006, 05:14
Go on Tin. Don't hold back, let it all out! :E

Kickatinalong
6th Feb 2006, 07:16
Girl,70 hours means nothing, being female is worth 3000 hrs and an instrument rating.
Kickatinalong.:{ :{ :{

AusFlygal
6th Feb 2006, 08:45
Unlike the blokes in here if it doesnt all turn out right you will still able to make someones dinner.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/kissflowersgr.gif

Gee, I've never heard that one before...you're hilarious. If it doesn't work out for you, maybe stand-up comedy is something you should try.

Have heard comments like this before......water off a ducks back.

:D

gary gearbox
6th Feb 2006, 09:26
Q - I need to know that there is something to look forward to out there.

Waking up early in the morning, driving to work with no cars on the road and drinking a coffee, jumping in the plane and blasting off before first light, get into the cruise, set it all up, whack on the autopilot, sit back and watch the beautiful sunrise through the clouds,

Yeah theres heaps to look forward t, but only if its what you want to do.

GG

rmcdonal
6th Feb 2006, 09:26
Not to sure how being 33 and starting aviation now is going to go.:ugh: :ugh:
Hrs to age and all.

Howard Hughes
6th Feb 2006, 10:11
Not to sure how being 33 and starting aviation now is going to go.:ugh: :ugh:
Hrs to age and all.
Got my first flying gig at age 36, having done 750-800 hours every year since, I now meet the experience commensurate with age, so it can be done and the flygal has 3 years start on me!!;)

rmcdonal
6th Feb 2006, 11:32
Howard Hughes good to hear a success story. :ok:

...still single
6th Feb 2006, 12:03
Ausflygal,
This is a great time to be a new pilot looking for a 1st job. The airlines are hiring and that means there is a lot of movement lower down in the food chain. If I were you, I'd consider the scenic operators. They need a friendly, personable tour guide who can fly a plane -and females are generally good at the PR. Another thing, a 30 year old 200 hour pilot will always appear more experienced than a 20 year old 2000 hour pilot (on the ground, at least), and people want to fly with a pilot who LOOKS experienced. It's all about perception.
RESEARCH operators. Find out who the good ones are (or at least the ones who aren't dodgy), and apply only to them -these days you can be choosey.
Lastly, pick a place and stick with it. If you decide there's great place to work at in Broome, then set up camp in Broome, introduce yourself to prospective employers, then make sure you see them weekly. My first boss thought that a pilot should show up at least three times to prove that they were keen ...whatever, it's his game, his rules.
Jobs everywhere for those willing to look.

Full Noise
7th Feb 2006, 07:32
Girl,70 hours means nothing, being female is worth 3000 hrs and an instrument rating.
Kickatinalong.:{ :{ :{
Too right,
a set of t!t's will get you any where.
I'm thinking of gettin sex change my self.

jon s gull
8th Feb 2006, 04:34
32 when i decided to change to an aviation career .

I like to balance my coffee on my knee while I eat a pie and hand fly the air tractor to my first job before dawn, and i get paid to enjoy doing what would put most people in jail. its a grand life, good luck