PDA

View Full Version : Bankstown or Cessnock?

pilotezulu
5th Feb 2006, 14:35
Just figuring out flying schools to get my CPL & ATPL in Oz. I see that they are trying to drive GA out of Bankstown and stuff is getting expensive. I've been looking into Hunter Valley Aviation in Cessnock? Hope this is not completely in the bush where one is cut off from the food chain? :P

Anyone been/flown/trained in Cessnock? It would be nice to get some feedback.

propwash85
6th Feb 2006, 01:14
hi,

Yup, cessnock is great to fly at.

Avondale also fly's there now, i recommend them.

propwash.

Horatio Leafblower
6th Feb 2006, 01:22
Don't know anything about Avondale but I reckon HVA are the go.

For background:

Cessnock has been, in the past, probably the biggest GA training airfield in Australia outside the capital cities.

The region is a major tourist area and although the city of Cessnock is not huge it certainly enjoys all the services and facilities. When I trained there in 1990 it wasn't exactly cosmopolitan but they are getting a bit more sophisticated in town these days. :ok:

It is only 1.5 hours drive from Sydney and about 45 mins from the coast and Newcastle.

Go for it!

pilotezulu
6th Feb 2006, 05:17
hmm... sounds good. thanks guys. yeah, I noticed Cessnock is a rather small town, that's why I'm a little concerned. Are there any trains down to Sydney from Cessnock? I wonder if I'll have a car when I get there.

cheers.:ok:

theflyer1735
6th Feb 2006, 05:31
I have flown into cessnock many times and the aerodrome is great. Dont know anything about Avondale but the guys from HVA have always been good for a laugh when I have needed to fuel up. Not sure about the trains? I know the train goes to Newcastle but I am not sure about cessnock. You can see railway lines out maitland way so I know that the trains run out that way. Check the State rail website to be sure.:ok:

*Lancer*
6th Feb 2006, 11:24
No trains to Cessnock... The line runs from Newcastle up the northern side of the valley and then branches to Dungong (north coast) and Singleton (new england). Not that anyone cares about that of course! Nearest station to an airport is Rutherford and is about 2kms from Maitland airport (Royal Newcastle Aero Club).

Great lifestyle up in Newcastle if you decide to go with it. :ok:

theflyer1735
7th Feb 2006, 01:12
Persnonally I would just buy a car and drive to cessnock. This will also give you greater flexibility in where you can live. I can second what *Lancer* said about newcastle. It has far more to offer than most expect. I have been very surprised about what a great place it is each time I have visited.