PDA

View Full Version : Converting to FAA ATPL

DeltaSix
5th Feb 2006, 05:22
G'day all, would anyone know where and how to do the FAA ATP exam here in Sydney.

There used to be an organization that use to do it here but I think they have stopped.

I am able to get an H1B Visa for the U.S.

Just serious answers please.

Thanks

D6

zakpeegoodus
5th Feb 2006, 07:29
Why not just do it when you get to the States? It takes just one day – including study and exam! And that is with no prior preparation!

It is an absolute joke.

http://www.atpflightschool.com/programs/writtens/atp.html

DeltaSix
5th Feb 2006, 07:47
Zak,

One day !!!? :uhoh: .... are you sure ?... not that I doubt you but, it took me three years to study for ATPL and my review took me more than a week just to pass each subject. Are we talking about converting Aust CPL/ME/IR to an FAA ATP ?

If it is, where can I do it ? I will be living with my Dad in Washington D.C..

Can you give me places in the West and Eastern seaboard.

Thanks
D6

zakpeegoodus
5th Feb 2006, 08:43
Yer, I am sure. I know it sounds unbelievable…

There is some freedom of information law in the States whose effect is to allow the answers to ATP exam question to be published…You kind of just sit at a computer all day route learning the answers, then do the one exam in the evening. It is unbelievable ridiculous, but there you have it!

I did my FAA ATP in Florida last year. I went there with an Australian CPL and Instrument rating - and the required hours. From memory you need 1,500 total, 100 night, 100 IFR for the FAA ATP

I needed an ATP(L) for a particular job and did I not have the time to study for the Aussie one…As I am working outside Australia, and the FAA License seems to be more useful overseas than the CASA ATPL, why bother with the hassle of the Aussie one?

In the States I did a medical one day, the exam the next, 10 hours flying over a few days, and finally the flight test. The whole process was 5 days.

I went through the mob whose link is given above. They were great – it was a production line course, designed to get the licenses with as little effort as possible – that suited me.

Prior to going to the States you need to:

1: Validate the authenticity of your Aussie license with the FAA Register your Australian license with the FAA by filling out the form at:
http://registry.faa.gov/docs/verify61-75.pdf

2: Choose a flight school and course.
(Due to security requirements – you must inform TSA where you will be training.)

I went to: www.atpflightschool.com (800) 255-2877 +1 (904) 273-3018
They have schools all over the states…

After completing your applications, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will notify the flight school that you have submitted your license application.
The flight school will likewise verify with TSA that you have made arrangements to train at that school.

Then away you go…Allow up to 90 days for the above process…

DeltaSix
5th Feb 2006, 08:58
Hi Zak,

So, to get this straight, you sit down in a classroom the whole day ( from 8 am according to the link you gave me ) and then sit for the exam at 6pm for 1.5 hours ? The link said $200 .... is this right ?

Is the 10 hours still the same or has it increased. I presume it will be an IFR flight test ?

How long till you got a job offer (aviation) or did you already have one prior to going ?

Are you able to give me an advise in getting a flying job there ? I have an offer there but it is not aviation. This is only to keep me afloat while I find a flying job.

Thanks
D6

zakpeegoodus
5th Feb 2006, 10:52
Hi D6,

Yer – that is right…you do the “study” (memorization!) and exam in the one day…
$200-300 would be right. It is a little less if you book a complete course consisting of the exam and flight test…It is just one exam…It helps to have an aviation background prior to sitting the exam, however if you had a good enough short-term memory even that would not be necessary! It is simply ridiculous…I had two Aussie mates do it prior to me, they both advised not to bother with any prior study! Like you, I was kind of skeptical of their description of it…But there it was in the web sight – “One Day ATP Theory Course”

The flight test was air work – unusual attitudes, steep turns and so on- done under the hood - and various IFR approaches. I did it out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- They had a loop around a few local airports that took in various approaches. I flew the ‘loop’ 4 or 5 times, so I knew it prior to the flight test – which was exactly the same course as I had practiced.

I did a 10 hour course; you can do more or less. It is only a matter of being up to standard for the flight test. You have to have the hours to hold the ATP (1500 total, 100 night, 100 IFR – or something like that…) and be up to standard for the test – there is no minimum time specified to prepare for the flight test - the 10 hours is merely a realistic time chosen by the mentioned school for their course. They will naturally sell you more time if you need it…

I wanted the license for a job outside the States – there are numerous ‘N’ registered aircraft outside the USA, requiring an FAA License, but not needing the right to work in the USA. Unfortunately I was unexpectedly delayed in being able to travel to the States and obtain the license, so the job passed me by. Still I chose to go over as I had everything booked, and I figured the ATP would be useful all the same…

I stayed 3 months trying to get a job flying in the US, but without the right to work there I could not find anything. If I had the legal right to work I believe I would have found a job with relatively little difficulty - there are just heaps of aviation jobs going there compared to Australia…

http://www.climbto350.com/climbto350_aviation_jobs_board.cfm

After 3 months I got offered one job in the Caribbean and one in Asia – both on the biases of my FAA License…

druglord
5th Feb 2006, 11:31
Yeah I did it some years ago. you'd better have all the hours previously mentioned otherwise you're up for the CPL ME, CPL SE, IFR ME and IFR SE, which could actually be combined into 2 flight tests, and 2 written. I wouldn't pooh-pooh the oral though, I got grilled by the FAA examiner doing my flight test.

DeltaSix
5th Feb 2006, 21:41
Thanks for the reply guys. That was very informative.

So, the exam is piss easy.... but the flight test and oral might be a killer.

I have 1500+ TT, 200 night, and 300+ IFR in IMC ( I think !!). Most of it in the Chieftain & Duchess.

And yes, I will have the right to work there. Will be getting an H1B visa.

Druglord, how are the oral exam ?.... is it based on their FAR ?.... Does the Jepps have the same contents as their FAR book ? Which publication should I be concentrating on ?

Thanks heaps guys.... remind me to shout you a beer ( or a cappucino )when I get there.

D6

6th Feb 2006, 01:27
Been there done that. I agree with all above comments. However I was receintly at Flightsafety [last month] and they said that the FAA no longer publish the question banks and the test had changed.

Check that one out!!

You might want to think about doing a type rating as part of you license issue. That way you can kill two birds with one stone - Conversion flight test is the same as type check-ride.

The Oral test can be the killer - depends on who you get on the day..

DeltaSix
6th Feb 2006, 03:54
123567, you mean do the 10 hours training in a light twin + do a Boeing or an Airbus type rating and then do the flight test / check ride in the heavies ?

D6

6th Feb 2006, 04:57
D6 I don't know about the 10 hours in a light twin. I only did a initial type rating and used that checkride as an ATP flight test.

You can do it [the ATP checkride] in whatever you want. But if you intend to do a bigger type rating in the future you might as well do both at the same time and save money.

The Test can be done in a ZFT simulator.

I got mine without actually flying in a "real" aircraft.

DeltaSix
6th Feb 2006, 09:10

I was going to do exactly what Zak did. Fly for 10 hours in a real aeroplane as familiarization of their airpace and radio procedures and then do the flight test. I'll prolly annoy the crap out of their ATC while bumming around. :}

What's a ZFT simulator ..... is that the Full motion sim for the Boeings or a synthetic one ?

About the type rating.... that's actually a good suggestion. Checkride in the Boeing = ATP flight test. Is the normal checkride for your TR the same duration as the ATP flight test ?

Cheers
D6

6th Feb 2006, 20:30
Sorry ZFT = zero flight time. It is any class C [or maybe D] Simulator. It doesn't have to be a boeing sim, it clould be a lear or Global sim etc.

The ATP Test is EXACTLY the same as the type ride except for the oral exam. But like I said it depends on who you get on the day. I got a US ATP without actually flying in US airspace. Made for some inbteresting times when I actually did... But that's another story.

The only difference is that you also do the ATP exam - I know a few guys who have also done this route and seriously it isn't that difficult.

DeltaSix
6th Feb 2006, 21:15
Just one more question 123567, in regards to the oral exam, is there one area or publication that they concentrate the questions on, or does it cover a wide range ? ( instrument rating, CAO, CARs, AIP or AIM as you call it there, Jepps ? )

Thanks again

D6

6th Feb 2006, 22:08
Sorry mate it was almost two years ago and I can't remember. Although I did my checkride with an American guy who already had his ATP so I think the FAA examiner was pretty easy on me.

Mainly airspace, law questions. If you have just done the ATP exam shouldn't be too bad.

But the Oral mainly covers the type ride questions - limitations, performance on the aircraft you are sitting the test on. Emergency procedures etc.

DeltaSix
7th Feb 2006, 01:02
Thanks to everyone.

I better get the ball rolling now. Looks like Pan Am Int'l Flight Academy seems a good place to get a type rating on the heavies.

D6

druglord
7th Feb 2006, 12:00
hey delta,
Yeah They have a fantastic book here called the FAR/AIM and it's published each year. Costs probably $20. Order it on amazon or sportys and it'll give you everything you need to know. It's basically an AIP and all those CAR's etc that airservices makes you get and amend each year like you're some sorta freakin lawyer. Study up on whatever you intend to be flying. If you're doing charter - part 135, airline part 121, or none of the above, just getting your license part 91. actually learn part 91 anyway. It'll all make sense once you get the book. Also learn up on approach procedures out of Jepps. They have a number of different approaches here which aren't in oz.
good luck, drop me a pm if ya need some help.

DeltaSix
7th Feb 2006, 23:57
Thanks Druglord - I'll order the FAR/AIM and Jepps. I'm used to using the Air Services charts and IAL plates which IMHO is far better than Jepps I reckon, but that's just me. Some people might prefer the Jepps.

Anyway, I'll definitely pm you if I have anymore silly questions.

Cheers

D6