PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Trip

Monocock
4th Feb 2006, 17:49
For many years I have promised myself a week long tour through Scotland in June/early July. If I recall it is one of the reasons I actually wanted to get my PPL 14 years ago! Needless to say I still haven't got round to it and I think 2006 might be the year.

I accept I need to keep a close eye on the weather and that I need to be flexible with my plans.

I wish to camp where possible or use cheap hotels when camping is not an option. On one night I want to stay somewhere really expensive and eat and sleep like a king:D I also want to land/stay overnight on a beach. (And no Strafer, I won't fall for it if you suggest Morecambe Bay for this on the way up....!)

I wish to include loads of lovely hills/mountains and would be really grateful if someone could suggest a suitable route. I'm sure there are places I should avoid and I would rather find out now than when I am there.

The autogyro article this month in one of the magazines was interesting and it has rekindled my desire to do such a trip.

Any suggestions welcome.

helicopter-redeye
4th Feb 2006, 18:13
I did something similiar in '05 (same sort of time of year) but all hubbing out of Glenforsa (to avoid humping mounds of kit plus I like a bit of luxury on hols).

Why not stop at ALL the airfields in the NW?

Def. include Glenforsa for some TLC with Brendan & co at the Glenforsa Hotel (the venison burgers are recommended with a few jars of Owld Perculiar) and you can camp on Gigha at the airstrip (with dinner at the Gigha Hotel) and its near a beach and ... and .... and ...

(Watch out for Jura strip, not recomended for airplanes anymore but it is next to a beach)

Good piccys mate but they are MASSIVE!!!!!! Please try and resize them to around 800x600 or smaller please

boomerangben
4th Feb 2006, 19:18
If you are intending to do the NW coast, then as Helicopter Redeye says the Inner Hebrides are great. We were at Jura last summer and I would conclude that it is no longer suitable for anything other than helicopters.

Skye is stunning and Broadford is a good little strip (but don't park near the RAF fuel dump - big helicopters - big downwash!) Plockton is also good (contact PDG Helicopters). The Highland and Islands airports are run by people thinking they are running Heathrow on a shoe string, but the Benbecula and Stornoway ATC are friendly and helpful. Both have 100LL although check with Benebecula (the air ambulance is changing from an Islander to Kingair this spring so Loganair might stop having 100LL at Benbecula). St Kilda is on 40nm from Benbecula and is worth seeing on a nice day - just watch out for turbulance down wind.

On a nice day the Outer Hebrides and the mainland are stunning and remote -Harris has some of the most beautiful beaches in Europe and worth at least a fly over. There are some good hotels down there too, but a long way from the nearest strip. I can also recommend going over the top ie Cape Wrath to Wick. I gather that Orkney is worth a visit too.

Don't be put off by the Highland Restricted area - it is only operational from mid afternoon (although you can expect low level fast jet traffic at any time but they will be VFR). At some stage in June there is generally a big military exercise on the west coast. It is well worth (if you have the flexibility) avoiding the area at that time (AIAAs spring up all over the place).

DubTrub
4th Feb 2006, 20:59
May I be really cheeky to helocopter redeye and ask for you to reduce your photo size? Some of us are on dial-up. 800 x 600 is I believe the PPRuNe recomendation.

Thanks.

bottom rung
5th Feb 2006, 07:32
There are about 10 strips or airports of various sizes up here in Shetland.... why not come up and collect them all?:) Would be nice to get more GA types up here.

Monocock
5th Feb 2006, 09:03
bottom rung -

Have just been looking at your part of the world on various websites and am embarrassed to admit how little I know about the Shetland Isles.

As a destination it looks great.

I'll PM you for

Genghis the Engineer
5th Feb 2006, 09:36
I've never yet made Shetland, the Scottish weather has always defeated me.

Glenforsa is gorgeous, I believe they're happy for you to camp under the wing (best phone and check that, don't take my word for it), the Isle of Mull is well worth exploring, you can hire a car from a fellow at the airfield very cheaply (he does a special deal for people who've flown in). Do spend a day in Tobermory of you visit the island, absolutely beautiful, and great pubs (also lots of present buying opportunities for very young friends and relatives - it's where "Ballamory" is filmed.)

Barra - just because, walk the other side of the island from the airport (takes about 10 minutes) and see the most beautiful beach in Europe.

Islay, especially if the weather is forecast to be horrible for a few days, since you can see how many distilleries you can get in before the weather improves again. Also go and see the wild goats and seals on the Mull of Oa, or the ancient cross near Port Ellen. (Although the scenery and cultural side on Islay are nothing to Mull).

Broadford on Skye, and there's a nice Youth Hostel in Broadford village 4 miles walk away. Beautiful sightseeing flying around the island (great climbing too if you're thus inclined).

Just over the bay from Broadford - Plockton, tiny but beautifully maintained runway, a short walk from the village, very pretty, palm-trees growing on the beach due to the unique microclimate, and I seem to remember a cheap hostel there as well.

See the colony of wild seals in Stornoway harbour, a couple of miles from the airfield. There's a reasonable cheap campsite about halfway between the two.

Incidentally, my experience is that the weather is more predictably flyable in August/September in that part of the world.

Generally finding somewhere to camp is rarely a problem, nor is a hikers hostel - there are loads, both SYHA and independent, all cheap and friendly, most clean and convenient as well. Public transport around and between the islands is occasional, but utterly reliable and very good once you've got the hang of the timetables.

Useful hints:

- Don't plan to fly down valleys between mountains.

- Always talk to locals about what the weather might do, also constantly monitor what it's doing yourself. Don't rely upon forecasts.

- Plan your fuel ahead very carefully.

- Be prepared to message relay via airliners, coverage can be patchy around the islands, but the airline captains that fly the overhead routes are very accomodating.

- Survival equipment!

- Take twice as much photographic support (batteries / film / memory cards) as you think you'll need.

- Be flexible in your planning.

- You may be occasionally disappointed by the local food. You won't be disappointed by the local drink. Best place to eat out is usually hotel lounges for a "posh" meal, fish and chip shops for everyday.

G

Monocock
5th Feb 2006, 09:46
Thanks for that.

This is all very useful

Paris Dakar
5th Feb 2006, 17:49
Monocock,

On your way up to the beautiful Scottish scenery - have a look at the Lake District too.................if you don't, you'll only regret it.

PD:ok:

'India-Mike
5th Feb 2006, 18:27
What you going to do for fuel on the west coast then? Drop tanks?

Monocock
5th Feb 2006, 19:09
India Mike

I was hoping that a 5.5 hr endurance at 105 mph might be sufficient to overcome the worst of the fuel stop issues. If this isn't the case I'd be grateful of your advice:ok:

Paris Dakar
5th Feb 2006, 19:17
Monocock,
I'd pop into Carlisle (Lake District 15 mins away) and fill up, thus avoiding expensive visits to Newcastle/Durham Tees Valley, and I'd then hop over to Campbeltown and fill up there ready for my exploration of the West Coast :ok:

Say again s l o w l y
5th Feb 2006, 19:28
Oban is still open for fuel on the west coast, otherwise it's pretty difficult to find elsewhere outside of the central belt.

Scotland is the most beautiful place to fly in the world on a good day, but be very careful in even slightly dodgy weather.
The forecasts are more often than not laughable (both good and bad wx) so always leave yourself a way out in case of poor conditions.

The valleys can be used if you know them well and have been taught how to approach it, otherwise, stay well clear.

You won't find a friendlier bunch than up here (speaking as a Southerner who came up to visit, but just never went home....) and there are strips aplenty with very little of the Hi Viz jacket syndrome that seems to pervade most places south of the border. (Not all are like that though!)

Things like the HRA seem to be bigger problems than they really are but do watch out for fast jets and other military transport. Oh and keep away from HIAL airports if possible, the people who man them are great (usually) but as an organisation they have as much interest in GA as I do in crotchet.

'India-Mike
5th Feb 2006, 19:53
Tablet

One assumes, of course, that you'll have PPR from the cooncil...

Genghis the Engineer
5th Feb 2006, 19:55
Playing devil's advocate, exactly what would happen if you, say, discovered you'd messed up your fuel planning and made a precautionary fuel diversion?

G

'India-Mike
5th Feb 2006, 19:59
Genghis

You smart-Alek. It was a rhetorical question/statement!

'India-Mike
5th Feb 2006, 20:12
Retrospective PPR - contradiction in terms. I wouldn't like to try that one out on the insurers having left a crumpled aeroplane behind.

On more practical terms for Monocock, Prestwick is your best bet for fuel before jumping off west/north. The Flight Centre (01292 476523) is your best bet as is usually staffed 9-5. When ATC ask 'have you arranged parking' you say 'yes-apron echo' otherwise you'll be VERY expensively marshalled somewhere.

HIAL's website and Pooley's quote fuel at Campbeltown by arrangement, none at Islay - the latter did have fuel for a while last year, but I don't know if they're continuing it this year, but it was pretty expensive (£1.16/litre, and can't remember if that included VAT!)

Inverness is ok, don't understand the gyro guys in 'Pilot' complaining. Once you're at Inverness, fuel to the North is no prob. (Wick/Kirkwall). It's the apparent gap between Pik/Inv now, given uncertainty re. Oban. The guys there are still unbeatable on price & service.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Feb 2006, 20:19
Genghis
You smart-Alek. It was a rhetorical question/statement!

Be gentle, I've not been there since before all this shenanigans started up, so don't know the current lie of the land in great detail.

G

grow45
5th Feb 2006, 20:23
To whet the appetite I have posted a few pics on the Photos Thread http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207786&page=5

g45

Say again s l o w l y
5th Feb 2006, 21:23
Wot's retrospective.......

Stuff that and just go in anyway, do you reckon the council actually keep tabs on who's going in and out of Oban? Actually they don't, but I can't tell you who told me that!!

Paul's still there (and looks like he may be there for a while!) he certainly has the long term contract to supply fuel. So go and show some support and go in, it's a damn-sight better than going to Prestwick.....Better biscuits as well!

helicopter-redeye
6th Feb 2006, 22:00
Is there still fuel at Campbeltown? I though this had gone (this was owned by TLC at the last count). h-r

Paris Dakar
6th Feb 2006, 22:26
helicopter-redeye,

I looked at going into there last year and was told that fuel is available - but it may have changed since then.

Say again s l o w l y
6th Feb 2006, 23:31
Cambeltown does have fuel.

egld0624
7th Feb 2006, 09:55
Hi Monocock,

Not to intentionally brag but I've just come back from a 1620nm winter tour of the following from Denham (in 5 days):

Doncaster, Sandtoft, Edinburgh, Perth, Aberdeen, Sumbrugh, Unst (including Lat N61), Wick, Loch Ness (Oban), Benbecula, Barra, Tiree, Islay, Campbeltown, Isle of Man.

Just PM me if you have specifics; we stayed at hotels & cheap B&B's at some the above.

some pics: http://www.navex.aero/n61.htm

What an amazing part of the world for someone like me that hasn't been north of Bovingdon VOR much:D

All the best,

EG:ok:

bottom rung
7th Feb 2006, 11:02
Hi EGLD
Spoke to you as you went past Scatsta. Glad you got back south ok! Drop in for a cuppa next time.
BR:)

PENNINE BOY
7th Feb 2006, 20:06
Be carefull at Gigha! its a gem of an Island, but leave well clear if it has been raining for a few weeks, the bottom1/3rd is really really boggy along with the infrequent grass cutting.

Enjoy your trip round the best part of the UK,

Lamb Holm is another great a/field near Scapa Flow, walking distance to the churchill barrier and Italien Chapel built by the POWs during the war.

Bol---s to ppr, give Paul your brass for fuel n biccys drop in , say hi to him from the Blackpool boys!!!!!

egld0624
7th Feb 2006, 20:32
Hi Bottom Rung,

Ah so that was you. We had an absolute blast in the Shetlands; I wanted to do a touch & go or land at Scatsta but sadly the clock dictated otherwise. Genuinely, a friendly service throughout the islands. My friend & I were amazed just how busy the airspace was that morning; + watching out for the 2 whirly-birds inbound to yourself from the N. East.

Enjoyed watching the locals burn the Viking galley (same day as my birthday); so I shan't forget it!

Hope to see you next time,

Keef
8th Feb 2006, 11:39
The west coast is truly fabulous. Glenforsa is a perfect base for a few days flying around - but make sure you have a booking!
If the tractors are working next to the strip, watch them when you're on finals...

If you have a useable GPS, make sure you have "BRUCE" stored as a waypoint. It's the way down if you're above a cloud layer. Look at the chart, you'll see why.

PENNINE BOY
12th Feb 2006, 23:05
Was up at Glenforsa on friday 10th Feb,
The hotel is not open till easter, but they still managed a complimentry coffee.
The airfield is a little boggy with a few sheep grazing.

Paul is still selling fuel at Oban but the place is a little bit dead and no radio.

PH-UKU
12th Feb 2006, 23:49
Was up at Glenforsa on friday 10th Feb,
The hotel is not open till easter, but they still managed a complimentry coffee.
The airfield is a little boggy with a few sheep grazing.

Would that have been you routing from Oban back to Blackpool VFR then IFR through the TMA at FL55 about 5pm .. ? :)

S205-18F
13th Feb 2006, 07:04
Oban is back active, we were there on Friday 10-02-06, and much to our surprise there was Radio all be it not from Paul but a council appointed operator:eek:
On landing we spotted Paul and had a quick chin wag a cup of coffee and a JAMMY DODGER:) Fuel is definitly available and there is a contact number pinned to the portacabin for you if there is no one there with a promise to turn up within 10 mins!
John.

PENNINE BOY
13th Feb 2006, 10:14
Hi PH UKU,
yes that was us, Had a great days flying.

We thought that the guy on Oban freq was in the circuit! No wonder he had no sense of humour when we said we were banner towing for Jammie Dodgers to return to rightfull post!!!!

PB

egld0624
13th Feb 2006, 19:12
Just to add to S205-18F's comments; the unpublished Oban NDB is Freq. 404KHz. My understanding is: "(Not published due to some possible refraction and the plan to move it closer to the airfield)." But still useful to know AND still working! Radio is as mentioned by S205-18F.

The landing fees are as usual paid via the council. & plenty of Avgas on the a/d.

Kind regards,