PDA

View Full Version : One for the high-fliers ...

FullyFlapped
2nd Feb 2006, 14:08
In the latest edition of the APOA magazine, there's an article on Barry Prescott, who has passed his HPA rating. All good stuff, but there's a comment which puzzles me. He's referring to problems whih occur when pilots either fly in an environment they're not familiar with, or get their hands on aircraft they don't properly understand.
He states : "There have been a number of accidents ... where pilots have gone straight from a PA-28 into a pressurised aircraft and climbed to 25,000 feet only to find that their plane goes all white and enters a high speed dive which ends with them pulling the wings off when they pop out of low cloud." (my italics).
My question refers to the italicised bit. Does he just mean the pilot passes out (and if so, why, when the plane is pressurised?) or is there something I'm missing ?
FF :ok:

foxmoth
2nd Feb 2006, 15:38
Flight into icing conditions?

slim_slag
2nd Feb 2006, 16:07
Same thing as happened to Payne Stewart? (except they were already dead by the time they got into thicker air so didn't wake up and pull the wings off)

Fuji Abound
2nd Feb 2006, 16:45
Sensationalist writing I suspect is the more likely culprit.

He could of course have either scenario in mind but you cant image two many pilots getting into that sort of aircraft without a reasonable idea of some of the problems - if only because the insurers would not allow it.

I doubt very much Stewart’s pilot were in that category either. If their oxygen bottles were not full and or if masks were not readily to hand and or if they did not recognise the signs of hypoxia that is very concerning but I doubt had much to do with leaping from a PA28 to a pressurised jet! (And or if because I cant remember the conclusions of the report). :) :zzz: