PDA

View Full Version : Sudan Airways 737 accident 8 Jul 03

WHBM
2nd Feb 2006, 07:40
Can anyone point me at an accident report somewhere on the web for this Sudan AW 737-200 accident at Port Sudan 2.5 years ago. Seems they were returning single engine after a failure, did a missed approach due to a sandstorm, and crashed during the go-around.

Have recently learned that an old schoolfriend of mine who I had not seen for many years was the one Brit on board.

MReyn24050
2nd Feb 2006, 08:10
WHBM
On July 8, 2003 about 0417 hours local time, Sudan Airways flight 319, a Boeing 737-200 airplane, registry ST-AFK, collided with the ground during a missed approach at Port Sudan Airport, Sudan. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed. The departure point was Port Sudan, and the scheduled destination was Khartoum, Sudan.
About 15 minutes after takeoff, the pilot reported the loss of power in one engine. The flight returned to Port Sudan and was cleared for the ILS Runway 35 approach. The reported visibility was 2.5 miles in sand. The flightcrew did not sight the runway, and during the missed approach the airplane descended and collided with terrain about 3 miles east of the airport. The aircraft distinegrated during the impact sequence. The wreckage was strewn a distance of about 600 feet, and oriented on a 150 degree magnetic track.
You will find further information on www.aviation-safety.net database and www.ntsb.gov.