PDA

View Full Version : Superannuation & Casual Wage

160knots
1st Feb 2006, 14:20
From earlier posts how is superannuation affected if the propper wage is not being paid? Is there any experience from ppruners regarding super not being paid or incorrectly paid because wages paid are not in line with the award? How can someone ensure the super is paid???

Horatio Leafblower
1st Feb 2006, 17:54
The ATO is the agency to ring - they will put the salts through 'em. I worked at a motel/resort in Kunnunurra that shafted me on the super, rang the ATO and they sorted it.

It might take 12 or 18 months but your super will be paid and with interest.

Good luck!:bored:

Howard Hughes
1st Feb 2006, 20:52
May I say one thing before you go running off to the ATO! Speak to your employer first, try and get things sorted out with them directly. The way to achieve things for yourself is to speak directly with your employer, you will be surprised what you can achieve through direct communication. There is no need for threats or intimidation, just plainly state your case and what you believe that you are entitled to. If they are not prepared to pay what you are entitled, then seek outside help, but don't run off to the ATO, etc... without giving them the chance.

Cheers, HH.:ok:

C152R
2nd Feb 2006, 01:29
Horatio I think your spot on. Iv'e been following the threads on instructors salaries and the GA Award. It appears its the only way. It appears these few companies who do this know fully well they are doing the wrong thing yet they continue to rip peope off. Howard Hughes wake up, I know of a bloke who did exactly as you are advising, only to find out later the company involved made it difficult for him to get another job.

Skystar320
2nd Feb 2006, 06:05
Hello,

I currently work for an accounting practise in the insolvency division that involves us paying superannuation or SGC as it is more commonly known now – days from time to time. It has been an issue that has always brought up heated debate in team meetings and conferences.
Anyway here goes at trying to explain it

Employers must pay superannuation contributions on behalf of all their eligible employees. This compulsory contribution is called the superannuation guarantee.
Generally, an employee is an individual who receives payment in the form of salary or wages in return for their labour or services. Employers should pay superannuation contributions on behalf of all employees, subject to the exemption below
· A person who is entitled to payment for duties as a director of a business is included in the definition of employee for superannuation guarantee purposes. Generally, this means that directors who receive a salary or wages or directors’ fees are entitled to superannuation support from their employer. Family members of the employer who work in the business may also be eligible employees.]
Employers don’t have to provide support for
· employees paid less than $450 in a calendar month (although you must still provide superannuation support for any month in which the employee is paid $450 or more)
· employees aged 70 years and over (working people aged 70 to 74 inclusive can now continue to make personal superannuation contributions if they are working at least ten hours per week, but you do not have to provide superannuation guarantee support for them)
· employees under 18 years of age working 30 hours or less per week
· non-resident employees paid for work done outside Australia
· resident employees paid by non-resident employers for work done outside Australia
· some foreign executives who hold certain visas or entry permits under the migration regulations
· employees paid to do work of a domestic or private nature for not more than 30 hours a week (for example, a part-time nanny or housekeeper)
· employees who receive payments under the Community Development Employment Program
· members of the Army Reserve (the Army Reserve is not required to provide superannuation support)
· employees who have elected not to receive superannuation guarantee support because their accumulated superannuation benefits are more than the pension reasonable benefit limit, or
· employees temporarily working in Australia for an overseas employer who is covered by a bilateral superannuation agreement (a certificate of coverage must be presented in order to receive the exemption).
They may have already paid your super, but you simply don’t know about it. What I mean is if you have closed or transferred that super account you super will become what is know as ‘unclaimed super’

What I would do if I were you go to www.asic.gov.au and go to the unclaimed money page. Search for unclaimed money and enter your details there and secondly go to www.ato.gov.au and go to unclaimed super.

I think that kinda sums it up, but if you have any problems or queries don’t hesitate to contact me via private message or on this topic. I will help you as much as I can in my professional field.

Dj Dave
2nd Feb 2006, 06:33
if you have a super problem and decide to go and speak with Air Ngukurr, they will tell you it has been on its way for 4 years :}

Howard Hughes
2nd Feb 2006, 08:30
Howard Hughes wake up, I know of a bloke who did exactly as you are advising, only to find out later the company involved made it difficult for him to get another job.Mate, I think it is you who needs to 'wake up', the only way you get anything out of life, is to go and get it yourself!! I too have suffered a similar fate as many others in GA, but rather than sniping and backstabbing I went and asked for my money!! And you know what, I got it straight away and in full, the people who went whinging to the ATO are still waiting for theirs' 5 years later!!:ok:

As for the 'bloke you knew' (not you by any chance?) what an absolute load of bollocks, any half decent company would see right through any crap from some of the more shonky operators and employ him if he was any good, perhaps he just did'nt make the grade...Sadly not everyone does!:hmm:

THE CONTRACTOR
2nd Feb 2006, 22:15
HH, Are you suggesting that if someone doesn't work out in the company, but the company employed them none the less, they should be shafted? You are asking for the employee to ask for their money rather than go and seek help, however it's alright for the company to lead the employee along and shaft them out of what is lawfully and rightly theirs. GA companies are able to shaft employees because of the, "if you don't like it sod off" mentality. Some other newbe will come waltzing in with shiny new bars to take their place. This is outrageously wrong and the sought of behaviour that led to the Eureka Stockade where the powers at be treated employees like dirt and paid crap wages. Wake up man, some employers just won't listen or learn. Most couldn't balance a beer never mind the books.

Howard Hughes
2nd Feb 2006, 23:07
The Contractor, how is it you see my comments as coming out in favour of shonky operators? I am certainly not in favour of them, nor am I in favour of people being short changed. What I am trying to point out is that there are varying degrees of response should people be underpaid/not paid super!

In all cases the first response should be a direct approach by the individual, this in my experience is the best most productive approach. If this is unsuccesful then of course by all means seek outside help, ie: the ATO or professional bodies. But don't whinge on a public forum or backstab your employer until you have exhausted all avenues.

HH.:ok:

PS: The "if you don't like it sod off" mentality is not unique to aviation.