PDA

View Full Version : converting FAA to JAR

777pilot
1st Feb 2006, 14:02
Hi everyone!
I was wondering how i could possibly convert my FAA ATPL to JAR Lic in a shortest way?
The outfit requires JAR Lic on their type rating.
so here would be my assumptions; i thought i could obtain my type rating based on the FAA and then have it with a JAR ck airman (dual approved).
any thoughts are welcome.
happy flying

Round D. Globe
1st Feb 2006, 20:13
Hi everyone!
I was wondering how i could possibly convert my FAA ATPL to JAR Lic in a shortest way?

Funny you should mention this as mine CAA/JAR ATPL is about to expire in Sept. and I need to find out how to renew it while not being over there.

Assuming you are going to be working somewhere overthere and are a DEC.

When I worked for a UK carrier contract back in 2000 I came over for a summer contract with a group of pilots (all Captains) that were sponsored by the carrier and were put through a (pardon the term..) crash course on CAA Airlaw and along with a PC, got a "validation" which got me through that summer.

The following year, 2001, we took the about to expire airlaw to the CAA, and along with a CAA medical, and, of course a PC in the sim (I was on the A320 at the time), we were issued a CAA ATPL. All this was sponsored by the carrier. Notice a pattern here? We then took our shiny new green books back to the CAA offices @ LGW Crawley and converted them along with 175.00 BPS to a JAR license.

I might have rambled too long sorry, also this was a pre 9/11 world then, but if you have landed a job over in the UK it would save you ALOT of aggravation not to mention alot of other written tests that the poor Brits have to take if you can get some assistance from that company to get the airlaw and medical out of the way so your PC should take care of it.

Now, If anyone can tell me how to renew this thing I'd appreciate it!

Good luck

KingAir77
3rd Feb 2006, 23:09
You have to check wether you need a "real" JAA licence, or wether a british national licence will do. An air law exam and checkflight will give you a UK national, for a full JAR-FCL ticket, you will need to resit quite a few theory exams, and a checkflight.
As for the first post, conversion, try one of the US based JAA schools, since they are all UK registered FTO's, and lots of them train JAR students to FAA licenses first, then convert. Riverside Flight Center in Tulsa defietly do it that way, check with them for a tailored package taking into account your experience.
As for renewing, if it is a UK national licence (says "issued in accordance to ICAO" on the front, you need a british checker and approved Sim. If it is a JAR FCL, any JAR checker from any JAR country can renew it.
Hope this helps!

mad_jock
3rd Feb 2006, 23:15
you don't get british national licenses for the last 5 years.

its JAA or **** all

redsnail
4th Feb 2006, 07:31
MJ,
Not quite right there. There is a little loop hole in the CAA that allows foreign ATPL holders with +3000 hours total time and 1500 hours in command of aircraft 30 tonne or greater (etc) to aquire a UK CAA ATPL. You only need to do Air Law and Human Performance (plus the sim check with a UK CAA examiner). You are entitled to fly G reg aircraft only and you cannot get a JAA ATPL untill you have completed the rest of the exams.

BillieBob
4th Feb 2006, 09:42
No, redsnail, m_j is correct. The UK CAA have not been able to issue national licences (except for the Noddy PPL) for over 5 years. In the circumstances you describe, the applicant will be issued with a JAR-FCL ATPL endorsed with the statement: Valid for United Kingdom registered aircraft. As this
licence does not fully comply with JAR-FCL the holder
must have permission from any other JAA Member
State prior to exercising the licence privileges in aircraft
registered in that State.LASORS G1.5 Note 2 refers.

777pilot
4th Feb 2006, 10:32
Thanks everyone for the replies but this outfit is not in UK and i don't have to have a UK lic either.my outfit would be in TC .and inaddition to that i have also CPL_IR (ICAO) so perhaps this would make the path a bit easier!!!:confused:

mad_jock
4th Feb 2006, 11:34
Unfortunatly your looking at 6-9 months of training and a pay out of atleast 10k uk sterling more likely 15k once you have payed for flights etc.

You need to read (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=68&groupid=780) this book has all the details on the hoops you have to jump through.

You will need to go to the CAA in Gatwick as well to get a medical. Which should proberly be the first stop. The intial limits under JAR rules are a bit more limiting than FAA with regards to eye sight and a few other details.

redsnail
5th Feb 2006, 19:22
MJ,
My apologies, you are correct.
Cheers. :)

Keygrip
5th Feb 2006, 19:35
The problem with your link, M-J, is that that book is little more than garbage - as it cannot be trusted.

Many members of staff at the CAA say "It is riddled with inaccuracies" but nobody will print a list of the faults, and if you make an application based on what you read in that book, and the licensing department department reject your application, you have no come back. They will just say "It's your responsibility to get it right".