PDA

View Full Version : Fying in Syd

transporter_70
1st Feb 2006, 01:51
Hi guys,

Haven't found a thread for it yet, but just wanted to know some nice flight schools around Sydney? There are so many around Bankstown and I've been told to check out Camden as well. How should I check them out and what should I be looking for? I'm just after a PPL.

Thanks in advance

Area QNH is...
1st Feb 2006, 02:12
Check out Schofields Flying Club
They have a good fleet of aircraft (The Warrior III is only 4 years old) and their training is good value for money.
They also hold regular fly-aways and social gatherings which may be of interest to you...
As to what to look for in a flying school - Good equipment, professional training and competitive pricing.
Have fun :ok:

N5528P
1st Feb 2006, 10:33
Check out Schofields Flying Club
Have fun :ok:

Could not agree more. IThough I am from Austria I have relatives in Bankstown and was looking for some time bilding during my last visit in Sept. 2003. I also visited the above mentioned club and was very happy there.

The people were extremely friendly and charming, the equipment was fine and the instructor serious and thorough. though I did not get any license there, I was very pleased!

Regards, Bernhard

Like This - Do That
1st Feb 2006, 22:45
Hello Transporter

Although you couldn't find any threads on this topic, there are oodles. Typically a new one starts every 5-6 weeks.....

Anyway, back to your query. Glad you mentioned Camden. Try Curtis Aviation, their instructors are experienced, the aircraft are hangared and well maintained, and best of all, you can learn to fly as the good Lord intended .... left hand on throttle, right hand on stick, with the little wheel at the back! And do some aeros as part of the bargain.

More generally, visit plenty of schools, check out their aircraft, ask each school who ELSE they think is good, and although I'm sure some folks will jump on me for saying so, avoid the sausage factories with pimply youngsters in bus driver uniforms masquerading as instructors.

Good luck.

Jards
1st Feb 2006, 23:29
I second Curtis. Great bunch of instructors who love flying and their enthusiasm is infectious, plus they also have a Tigermoth that I just love flying. Yes they let you private hire it.

And like LTDT said nothing better than a tailwheel and aero's!

Cheers
Jards

aerocom
2nd Feb 2006, 07:33
Some good places to fly are Sydney Aviation College nice new premmises and good staff, Liverpool Flying school at Hoxton park no tower and no long taxi:ok: or do a search for Bankstown Airport and they have a list of all operators and there attached web sites.