PDA

View Full Version : Accomodation in Orlando?

waffs
30th Jan 2006, 04:46
I tried the search on this, couldn't find much though. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the accomodation in Orlando Flight Training is like? Is it worth the money? Is it close to the school etc?
Also, if you could tell me what there is to do around OFT? Thanks for the help!

Turkish777
30th Jan 2006, 15:37
OFT is just off 192 (Busy tourist spot) which is Kissimmee, try going on the link below as you can get some good deals in the motels, especially this time of year. If you can get $20-25 a night then thats about as cheap as it gets.

http://www.priceline.com

EGGD
6th Feb 2006, 22:35
I'm assuming you mean the accomodation that is supplied with the flight training. I have not been there yet but i'm flying out in June to complete my PPL and will be staying at Heron Lake Apts right by the airport.

http://www.flyoft.com/OFT_housing.php

I think it's quite nice.

waffs
7th Feb 2006, 00:30
Yep that's what I meant, is it in walking distance though?? They don't tell you much on the website!!

EGGD
7th Feb 2006, 00:54
Yes the complex is within walking distance! I can't remember how long Keren Caird quoted us but i think it's definitely within 10 minutes walk if not less

funfinn2000
7th Feb 2006, 03:14
Waff ,
the accomadation is very basic and it's expensive but it's the best you'll get . do'nt up grade to the hotel cos the management get that for very cheap and they make a profit on charging you extra. there is always the option of buying a bike for $50 at walmart or steal one , students just leave bikes after they go . there is a lotsof thing to do in orlando as you knowbut in walking distance you have the wing house bar which is a bar with hot chicks wearing tight clothes like hooters and the other favourite of mine was the fox and hounds pub, good food and all the oft posse hang there.

Helicopter or fixed wing?

OFT is not the perfect school but you get what you pay for .

I'm an exemployee who has moved on.

enjoy.
ex -cfi -oft

waffs
7th Feb 2006, 04:27
Thanks for that, fixed wing-ppl and hourbuilding with a view to staying there for the rest depending on how I like the place. Should be down in March.

funfinn2000
7th Feb 2006, 05:49
well hope ya have fun there .it was my first teaching job on the helicopter side of things. you would'nt want to be there in the summer it's way too hot. you will have to wear a uniform if yer a jaa student and in the summer it gets very hot in orlando(no sea breeze) be careful at night time and day time between walking from Heron to HWY 192 they have mostly cheeroke's and a 172's couple of other things i'm not a flying plank man. The airport is nice and freindly and you will get a great experience .

Good luck .

Tim_donovan
7th Feb 2006, 07:37
Waffs,

Be carefull March is not the best weather. I had many a day of no flying due to bad weather I went from Feb-May
The accomodation is Shocking you share it with a load of other guys if you can find other accomodation then do so as it will be cheap. Heron Lakes is 10 mins slow time walk and 5-6 if you are late for a flight.
I recommend the Wing house and if you do go there make sure you get a "club card" or what ever it is called they cost nothing but save about 20% on the price. If they still do them that is.

Happy Days

BritishGuy
8th Feb 2006, 05:03
Waffs,

I'm not sure on how many hours you're looking to build out here, but if it's the 152 you're using at OFT look into it. You're quoted something in the region of $85 an hour or so - when you get here the IS a MANDATORY $10 fuel surcharge....which takes it up to $95 per hour, include the taxes and you're looking at $100 per hour. Also, they will only reimburse $3 per gallon if you fuel outside of OFT (and we all know the price of fuel is more than $3 where ever you go these days!)

I have a 152 which is based at Kissimmee and have rented it out to a few Euro timebuilders. It has a GPS, only 100 hours on the engine. All the gadgets work and is a much nicer, cleaner and well equiped 152 overall. It's not used for instruction - only timebuilding. I rent it out for $70 per hour and have no fuel surcharges or any other hidden costs. And as for fuel - I reimburse at $3.50 per gallon. Drop me a PM if you (or anyone else is interested).