PDA

View Full Version : UK Flight Training Long Beach, CA

zx9-r
28th Jan 2006, 12:11
I am thinking about doing hour building at UKFT does anyone have any experiance of this FTO?

Have read a bit about them on pprune but just wondering if anyone had been there recently!?

LAXative
28th Jan 2006, 22:04
I was there last year. Good experience, fantastic place to fly but the usual advice, dont pay for anything up front. AJay is first and formost a businessman.
They use Rainbow Air planes and check out rides are with their instructors. All the planes I flew wer OK, the usual hire fleet small problems but technically sound.
Be careful of the weather as they have quite a few low vis days in the LA Basin so if your not IR then this could be a problem.

zx9-r
4th Feb 2006, 18:51
Thanks LAXative,

Do you know if there's any time of year this is more / less of a problem?

Cheers.

leonbrumsack
13th Feb 2006, 18:03
Any experiences of PPL training here? Either FAA or JAA would be of interest... :)

padded cell
13th Feb 2006, 22:01
Did my JAA PPL when they were still doing them 3 years ago. Flew there in December and February. Hardly lost any days due to wx. In December a few days can be lost due to the Pacific storms. Smog/haze was there pretty much all the time - except after the storms. Occasionally had to be careful with the Santa Ana winds and x-country through the Banning pass. Over all I think I lost two days due to the storms in the four weeks I spent there.

When I went back to do my FAA IR at Santa Monica in March - much more chance of losing time due to the marine layer. Rolled in, rolled out half the runway would be covered the rest would be in clear blue sunshine.

PC