PDA

View Full Version : Crashed plane found in shipping container

prospector
28th Jan 2006, 01:46
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3554839a10,00.html

'Crashed' plane found in shipping container

A plane thought to have been lost at sea after allegedly crashing off the Canterbury coast in 2004 has been found undamaged in a shipping container at Ashburton.

tinpis
28th Jan 2006, 01:52
See all the tricky fullas aint all here in Aussie.

whiteknuckleairlines
28th Jan 2006, 21:15
I think someone will have to consider packing the toothbrush and "soap-on-a-rope"!

Mr Proachpoint
30th Jan 2006, 01:21
I take my hat off to the man. It must have been a textbook ditching for it to be undamaged. Its a tribute to the quality of his training and the skill of those who recovered it.

Well done!!

MAPt:ok:

tinpis
30th Jan 2006, 01:30
Good shyster have that laughed out of court.

The last time my client saw this aircraft your honour it was sliding nose first under the sea as he struck out for shore.

Mr Proachpoint
30th Jan 2006, 01:52
The sea was angry that day, my friend, waves as high as a man. The blackness of the sea was one day to be matched only by the toe of the judges shoe as he lined up to take aim on my sorry ass.

MAPt

gaunty
30th Jan 2006, 05:42
He is dear tinny, but a rank amateur, our friend Freddy sold dozens of containers full of the finest and freshest Australian air to the finance Companies for around half a million $s each. :(

This guy left the evidence in one for all to see.:rolleyes:

QNIM
1st Feb 2006, 21:32
Gday Gaunty
Yep saw what little was left of Freddy’s auctioned off but this one sure beats the Lance pulled up by fishermen off NSW a few years ago with everything removable missing and crash helmet still in the cabin, at least this one would have collected the insurance and still had the aircraft, bonus until sprung.
Cheers Q

gaunty
2nd Feb 2006, 02:59
QNIM

Bwahahaha? missed that one.:rolleyes:

Dumb and dumber, the cops have reams of stories where the perp has left his wallet, shirt with name tag and other clever stuff behind.

Thats why I just love those BBC crime show that exhume old crimes and suchlike.
Aircraft like bodies are darned hard to get rid of.

In another life I was doing work for the banks recovering some aviation assets.

A colleague looking for 2 cabin class twins belonging to company that went t!ts up, found one in the hangar (we parted it out) plus two dead engines and a bunch of U/S spare parts from the the other of which there was no sign.
Needed the data plate to take it off the rego too.
Hmmmm. Goes down to local aero club bar buys some beers and idle chat reveals that Simms metal might be the go.

It was not long past Christmas the staff hadn't been paid, the Christmas Fund had been plundered and theres a 1000 or so kgs of ally going to waste.:p

Data plate recovered everybody happy, and I think the liquidator wrote the Chrissy party off to experience.:}

empacher48
2nd Feb 2006, 05:48
Mind you, this is apparantly not the first time this individual has claimed insurance on an aircraft accident... I had heard that this person set his previous Piper alight at another South Island Aerodrome some years before, with his two kids inside...:uhoh:

You have to wonder about his mental state to try it a second time... It was a general thought, in our area, on hearing about his ditching off the South Island Coast. "The plane'll probably turn up in a container sometime in the future." Very surprised when it rang true!!!

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2006, 09:28
[QUOTE][but a rank amateur, our friend Freddy sold dozens of containers /QUOTE]
Gaunty, You didn't work for him? ;)

gaunty
2nd Feb 2006, 15:58
Brian Abraham not only did I not work for him but I took our company aircraft leased to his org, outa there fast as.

I knew the jig was up when a cuppla crew members wandered into my office in Essendon for a coffee and told me they were on their way to doing some practice Alice Springs approaches in one of our C208s.

I assumed they were using Cowes and Wonthaggi as we all did, but no, they were off to the Alice for a cuppla days.:rolleyes:

Nothing like the real thing and why they loved Freddy. :rolleyes: :{

I had already been down there a cuppla times and it was Boys Own Annual stuff on steroids.:*