PDA

View Full Version : DJ Descent

Argus
26th Jan 2006, 02:18
A family member tells me she and her children were greatly discomforted by an unannounced rapid descent into Sydney while on board DJ514 (Coolangata - Sydney) on 25 January.

Anyone aware of what might have caused this?

Prop's ????
26th Jan 2006, 08:11
No disrespect to the person making this statement.

On what grounds can she make such a suggestion?

If no emergency was announced over the PA and the aircraft was pressurised, a rapid descent could have been a 0.80/320kt descent with the speed brakes out.

Many children suffer discomfort from time to time, and was there any chance she may have had a cold?

When it comes to flying, many people believe they have enough knowledge to criticise operators and pilots.

A dramatic event always sounds interesting when people get off a flight.

Argus
26th Jan 2006, 08:22
Prop's ????

On what grounds can she make such a suggestion?

Some 24 hours later, she and her three children (6,8 &10) are all still complaining of severe pain in the inner ear, which they say first became apparent on descent into Sydney.

Many children suffer discomfort from time to time, and was there any chance she may have had a cold?

No, no, no and no.

When it comes to flying, many people believe they have enough knowledge to criticise operators and pilots.

With respect, there's no criticism, either express or implied - merely a request for an explanation.

A dramatic event always sounds interesting when people get off a flight.

Maybe, but not relevant here.

Gnd Power
26th Jan 2006, 08:38
Argus

even though an aircraft may have a "rapid descent" that does not neccessarily mean that the cabin had the same descent rate.

In all cases (other than an emergency) the cabin will descend at around 500 fpm, which is acceptable to all passengers who are not suffering from extreme effects of colds, sinus, tropical ear etc etc.

DJ is no different in these profiles than the rest of the aviation world (for obvious reasons).

If your relo's have had a problem, perhaps they should note what occurred and keep it in mind for their next trip.

(A trip to doctor to obtain a prescription for ear drops such as "soferdex" (sp?) may be a good start).

Centaurus
26th Jan 2006, 12:43
"The cabin will descend at 500fpm". True - unless there was a cabin altitude problem and the flight crew selected Alternate Mode on the pressurisation panel and significantly increased the rate. Or worse still, had to use Manual mode. That is when ears will hurt.

Argus
26th Jan 2006, 22:09
Thanks to all for helpful responses.

Macrohard
27th Jan 2006, 00:38
"The cabin will descend at 500fpm". True - unless there was a cabin altitude problem and the flight crew selected Alternate Mode on the pressurisation panel and significantly increased the rate.

Not getting confused between the Classic & NG are we Centaurus?

Prop's ????
27th Jan 2006, 03:08
"The cabin will descend at 500fpm". True - unless there was a cabin altitude problem and the flight crew selected Alternate Mode on the pressurisation panel and significantly increased the rate. Or worse still, had to use Manual mode. That is when ears will hurt.

Sorry to say but you may have to check your facts.

The NG has two pressurisation controllers, which operate the same way. Under normal Op’s each sector the system alternates between the two. If the AUTO FAIL light illuminates, the system switches to the ALTN system. As for the cabin, no body would feel the difference.

DJ's aircraft descend at 300fpm

tipsy2
27th Jan 2006, 04:46
I say Argus, what about contacting DJ and seeing if Ms Bolger has a answer for you.

Then you can compare that answer to all the guesses here on PPRuNe.

tipsy:{

Argus
28th Jan 2006, 23:21
Thanks, tipsy2, for your really helpful suggestion.

You could always offer your services to help draft the reply.

:ok:

tipsy2
29th Jan 2006, 10:03
Argus, I don't have access to any stored data and I wasn't there so any response on my part would be like the others here, a guess and supposition.

Hence my suggestion to go direct to the organisation whose activities you question.

The ATSB ESIR's are only issued up till 20 Jan at present, so I am unable to check if a report was raised by the crew.

tipsy