PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA Multi Rating Question

54.98N
25th Jan 2006, 16:30
I have the following:
JAA Frozen ATPL
FAA ASEL/IR (standalone unrestricted)
I want to fly an N reg twin outside of the UK, so I'll need an FAA multi
Can I convert my JAA ATPL to an FAA ATPL without too much faff (or a lesser licence but still with multi privileges), or is it going to be easier to get the multi add-on to my FAA licence.
Hope that makes sense.

-IBLB-
25th Jan 2006, 16:35
I have the following:
JAA Frozen ATPL
FAA ASEL/IR (standalone unrestricted)
I want to fly an N reg twin outside of the UK, so I'll need an FAA multi
Can I convert my JAA ATPL to an FAA ATPL without too much faff (or a lesser licence but still with multi privileges), or is it going to be easier to get the multi add-on to my FAA licence.
Hope that makes sense.

The only thing that you can convert straight away from foreign to FAA is an ATPL. Since a FROZEN ATPL really is not an ATPL, but only a name for a CPL and having passed the writtens, you cannot convert it. The easiest thing to do is just to do the addon. You didn't specify what class of license your FAA is, nor what you need. If it is a PPL, and you need only a PPL, an addon checkride, no written. If it is a CPL, just addon checkride. If it is a PPL and you need to have an CPL, CPL written, and checkride.

AndyDRHuddleston
25th Jan 2006, 18:05
I have a very similar question. I also have a JAA fATPL and an JAA PPL based FAA PPL with stand alone IR . Now my query is - now that I have a JAA multi rating, and the fact that my FAA PPL is based on my JAA PPL licence can I simply apply to have my FAA PPL reissued on the back of my JAA PPL but now including an MEP aswell as the original SEP or will I still need to fly an FAA checkride?

-IBLB-
25th Jan 2006, 18:15
I have a very similar question. I also have a JAA fATPL and an JAA PPL based FAA PPL with stand alone IR . Now my query is - now that I have a JAA multi rating, and the fact that my FAA PPL is based on my JAA PPL licence can I simply apply to have my FAA PPL reissued on the back of my JAA PPL but now including an MEP aswell as the original SEP or will I still need to fly an FAA checkride?
You can get it reissued, with a multi.
However, this can be done only when the certificate number on your FAA PPL still matches your current JAA CPL. If the number has changed (also if your original FAA was based on your JAA PPL and you have gotten a CPL since, your number has changed, ie UK/PP/....to UK/CP/....) You would have to apply for a new one, since you cannot provide a vald license to go with the FAA.

It sounds a little nitpicky, but i have had students being denied it for this exact reason.

smithgd
26th Jan 2006, 11:05
On a similar issue...

I have a FAA PPL that is based on my CAA PPL.

I have passed my JAR CPL test, so will get a JAR CPL when I send the form in.

If I go on to do MEP and IR ratings they are JAR so will be added to my JAR CPL.

Can I upgrade my FAA PPL to include the JAR MEP and IR?? I don't think I can but if I could transfer my JAR MEP and IR onto my CAA PPL (valid for life remember) then with my FAA PPL I should be able to fly MEP and IR because my CAA PPL has those privledges??? My FAA PPL number has not changed because my CAA PPL is still valid ???

Any ideas??

smithgd

B200Drvr
26th Jan 2006, 13:51
IBLB,
I agree with most of what you are saying, except the ATPL conversion. In the 80's you used to be able to get an FAA ATP issued on a foreign ATPL. with no test. I did my CFMEII in 2000 and had numerous foreign ATP pilots who had been offered "N" reg jobs and were required to do the full FAA ATP written and flight check as only a Private license was issued on the"basis of"
Has this now changed again?
Also regarding the FAA private multi issue, if your FAA certificate does NOT say "Airplane single and multi engine land" on the back, even if it is issued on the basis of a JAR license, dont fly a "N" reg multi!! If you have a mishap you will be liable for everything. The certificate is issued based on your qualifications at the time of issuence, If it says "Airplane single engine land" that is all you may fly, NO twins and NO I.F. in and "N" Reg machine.

theWings
26th Jan 2006, 16:51
I think the current rules are that:

1) you can amend an FAA PPL issued "on the basis of" (or have one initially issued, for that matter) by:

Filling in this (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/media/verify61-75.pdf) form and if your JAA licence is UK issued then also an SRG1160 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1160.pdf) (Data Protection Act, blah, blah, £38, blah:* )

As far as this thread is concerned, the amendments can include the addition of an AMEL, the addition of an IR and the addition of a TR. For the IR (without flying) you'll need to pass the Instrument Foreign Pilot exam. Currently, the only test site in the UK is in Norwich. For a TR you'll need to have the IR already

The Catch: you have to meet in person with an FSDO Officer/Inspector. Which would normally mean being stateside.

All this notwithstanding IBLB's point about matching certificate numbers. And as B200 points out, you really wanna do this before the prang ;)

2) you can have an FAA ATP issued on the basis of your JAA ATPL as a paper exercise, as long as you meet the experience requirements for this, which are slightly different from the JAA requirements.

One little :ooh: is not realising that the "on the basis" gives you the license, but you still need the currency checks as per the FAA requirement (i.e. FAA checkrides). This applies to all the ratings and, more obviously, TRs.

Just one route through, there are, of course, many ways to skin this...

-IBLB-
26th Jan 2006, 21:37
IBLB,
I agree with most of what you are saying, except the ATPL conversion. In the 80's you used to be able to get an FAA ATP issued on a foreign ATPL. with no test. I did my CFMEII in 2000 and had numerous foreign ATP pilots who had been offered "N" reg jobs and were required to do the full FAA ATP written and flight check as only a Private license was issued on the"basis of"
Has this now changed again?
No, you are right, i think i didn't express myself that well. What i meant to say is that if you have a FULL ATPL you can get a straight conversion by taking the written and a flight test. You are not required to have another FAA certificate of any kind. (that's what i meant with straight away)
If you do not have an ATPL, but for instance a CPL. you need to first have or get a PPL, an IR and the CPL. so that is a minimum of one ppl-conversion, 2 writtens and 2 flight tests. And since a frozen ATPL is not an ATPL, but a CPL, the last situation is applicable.

Smithgd, as theWings points out, your FAA certificate may be valid for life, but if the foreign certificate which it is based upon expires, you still cannot use it.
However, the only certificate that you can get based upon a foreign license now is a PPL. It is not possible to get a CPL or ATPL based upon a foreign license. (It has been possible in the past)
Like B200Drvr says, if you want to fly multi, it has to say it on your FAA certificate (same for the IR). Whether you achieve this by getting a newly issued certificate based upon your foreign, or if you do a checkride, is up to you. Personally (especially since you already have a FAA PPL) I would do the checkride, and make it a stand-alone certificate.

The FAA form linked in the above message is not for ammending certificates. It's for initial validations only. If you want to add a category, class or rating to a FAA certificate, you can use the 8710 form. You do need the above form if you want to validate a license because it has changed certificate number.

smithgd
27th Jan 2006, 08:03
At the moment my only reason for thinking about all this is if I want to do some MEIR flying state side for fun. So not needing a FAA CPL.

I guess the seperate checkride would be good idea since I would have to have a club checkout anyway wherever I hired from. What is involved just a written and flight test? Any training?

Would I have problems if I can't "put" my JAR MEP/IR onto my CAA PPL thus then adding these to my FAA PPL. I assume I wouldn't be able to change my FAA PPL so that it was based on my JAR CPL (using PPL privledges only)?

smithgd

-IBLB-
27th Jan 2006, 10:29
I guess the seperate checkride would be good idea since I would have to have a club checkout anyway wherever I hired from. What is involved just a written and flight test? Any training?
That's a good question, as far as the written goes. If you have a unrestricted PPL, there is no written for the addition of a MEL. I have no idea if you would actually have to do one or not, since you do have a FAA PPL, but have it based on your foreign certificate, so you never did a PPL written before. I would call the actual examiner who is doing your checkride, and ask him.

As far as the flying goes, you need 3 hours with an instructor in the past 90 days. It sounds like alot to do if you just want some fun flying around, but remember that alot of schools won't even let you take the plane alone without an instructor, unless you have a lot of hours on twins or even that particular plane, or done a full course at the school. As far as the actual training goes, a Single Engine Go-Around is not required, but they have a procedure called "Vmc demonstration" other than that, no major differences really. Remember you also have to do instrument procedures during the checkride to get your priviliges for the MEL.