PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

A38lephant
25th Jan 2006, 16:29
Hi,

Can Anyone out there offer some impartial advice on a suitable pair of headphones for a low hours PPL pilot? I don't want to spend the earth, don't mind 2nd hand, but don't want the things to fall apart as soon as I buy them.

Thanks in advance :ok:

A38lephant

Engine overtemp
25th Jan 2006, 18:11
David Clark H10-13.4 from ebay, normally a few on there, like this pair for example. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/David-Clark-H10-13-4-headset_W0QQitemZ5658806990QQcategoryZ4783QQssPageNameZWDVWQ QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zulu Alpha
25th Jan 2006, 18:11
David Clarkes have a good reputation and you can get parts easily. Everyone has their own opinion on headsets so you are likely to get a lot of suggestions
Headsets come up on ebay.co.uk regularly so I would look there first. Pick a repuatble make so that you can get any spares.

Justin Ryan
25th Jan 2006, 18:15
I am a new ppl too, just got a david clark h10-13.4 off ebay for £122. only has around 80-100hrs use! I got to try a david clark headset during my ppl training and it was a world different from the standard club headsets, real comfy, really quiet and real clear! Highly recommended!

A38lephant
25th Jan 2006, 19:23
Cheers chaps. I really love the Bose noise reduction headphones out there but cant afford them. I had the fortune to try a set whilst doing my PPL and could (for once) hear ATC so clearly.
However I was thinking about a David Clarke set as a little cheaper and still excellent quality.
Any more comments would be appreciated.

White Bear
25th Jan 2006, 20:48
Some years ago, on the advice of my flight instructor, I bought a set of Telex 150 ANR headsets. He thought they were the best ANR headsets for the money at the time, at $300.00. I must say their sound quality and comfort levels are far above the DC H10.13.4’s, also $300.00 which I have as a back-up set.
I prefer them over the DC’s and can recommend them, with 2 caveats:

1. I do not like the plastic battery box that powers the ANR circuitry. Where ever you put it, when you open the door it falls on the ground.

2. The sound quality deteriorated last year until I could not be heard, so I sent them off to Mankato, Minnesota (90 miles away from me, where they make them) for repair. I was advised that the cost of repair will be $150.00, no matter what is wrong! I also asked for a spare mike cover and was told this would be an extra $7.00. I suppose the snow plowing has to be paid for.

They are very comfortable and perform well, but I still have trouble understanding why it should cost 50% of the purchase price to repair it.
Regards,
W.B.