PDA

View Full Version : Pay

YoungAndHopefull
25th Jan 2006, 15:18
I'm aware that its very difficult to walk striaght into a job after gaining a CPL but say if got a job with airline what sort of money would i expect to be getting?
Also is it easier to get a job carrying cargo than to get a job with an airline?

Thanks

gibr monkey
25th Jan 2006, 15:28
Depends on the airline......

BA as a 1st officer about 30K and at Eastern or Emerald about 18k....

Not the most well payed job in the world.

Aerowinx
25th Jan 2006, 17:21
Look here (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/)...

scroggs
26th Jan 2006, 08:12
Pay is related to experience and seniority. In the kinds of ailines that take brand-new pilots, you can expect somewhere between £18k (small turboprop aircraft) to £35k (jet passenger aircraft). If you end up working for British Airways or Virgin Atlantic, and make it to the dizzy heights of training captain (TRE), you could earn in excess of £150k by the time you're 45 - 50 years old.

Freight airlines are not easier to get into, but they may take people of lower experience than passenger airlines flying similar types. The main reason for that is that freight flying is typically at anti-social times and places, and many freight pilots will wish to move on to more sociable employment when they can!

Scroggs

hedges81
26th Jan 2006, 11:45
Scrogger

you must be loaded then! Age 50 and works for virgin I believe.

Gimme 30k to pay for my training, go on!

king rooney
26th Jan 2006, 13:29
got a mate who works for BA. 48 yrs. Claims to get over 200k per year. Dunno if he is a training captn or not but as far as I know he does longhaul to Australia and Far East.

What do training captains do exactly, and how does one get to become one?
Am I right in thinking that a 1st officer with a frozen ATPL needs to fly with a training captain until his licence is defrosted, ie after 1500 hrs?

scroggs
26th Jan 2006, 16:20
Scrogger
you must be loaded then! Age 50 and works for virgin I believe.
Gimme 30k to pay for my training, go on!

You can see from my profile what I do. I do not earn £150k, as I'm not a training captain. I have only been with Virgin 7 years, after 22 years in the RAF. If I were to have a spare £30k, my children would have first shout on it.

Actually, forget that. I need a Porsche to play with...!

Scroggs

notdavegorman
26th Jan 2006, 16:23
Training Capt is a generic term to describe a Captain who is involved in training. They come in 3 basic flavours, Line Training Captain (LTC), he basically teaches trainees on a real aircraft undertaking normal(ish) flights complete with pax/freight, this is called Line Training. The next step up is Type Rating Instructor (TRI), he instructs in the earlier stages of a trainee's type rating course. Then there's Type Rating Examiner (TRE), who is at the top of the tree, and is approved by the CAA to examine you and sign the CAA form that gets a Type Rating added to your licence.

There are other types of Training Captain, such as Base Trainer, SFI, re-TRE etc. Also some airlines have Training First Officers as well.

And no, once you've passed your Line Check, there isn't a requirement to fly with a Training Capt, even if your ATPL is still frozen.

Your mate who makes £200k at BA should be able to talk you through the finer points.