PDA

View Full Version : Flying around the coast of Oz

butair
25th Jan 2006, 14:09
Hi All. This is my first post on PPrune.
Myself and the girlfriend are moving to Australia in April for at least 1 year. I would like to rent an aircraft for up to a month and try to fly around some of the coast. I will be starting from Sydney and I wonder has anybody done this before and if so is it possible and which way is best i.e. north or south? I would like to fly a 172 or 182. I hold a CAA issued JAR-FCL PPL with night rating and about 110hrs. Any info would be great as I think seeing Australia from the air is the only way to do it.

alidad
25th Jan 2006, 14:14
If you go clockwise-keep brown on the right, blue on the left. If you go anti-clockwise, keep blue on the right and brown on the left- this should minimise the chances of getting lost.:sad:

butair
25th Jan 2006, 15:05
Hmmm, I would never have thought of that one! :=

tinpis
25th Jan 2006, 20:00
Someone did it um...25 years ago ? and published a book of photos.

Arm out the window
25th Jan 2006, 20:17
It is certainly possible, and in a month you could certainly cover some nice coastline.
From Sydney south is quite nice, down past Bateman's Bay, Merimbula, Eden, into Victoria, Wilson's Promontory, Port Philip Bay (Melbourne area), Great Ocean road, 12 Apostles etc.
There is some airspace to consider, particularly around Sydney itself, Nowra (Naval Air Station), East Sale (RAAF) & Melbourne, so get the charts (have a look at airservices.gov.au, you'd want WACs, ERCs, VTCs; the place you're hiring from should be able to help out, also an ERSA (Enroute Supplement Australia) with airfield details (particularly fuel availability).
I'd suggest the weather's probably going to be OK that time of year.
However, the water's fairly cold down south and significant stretches along the coast don't have much in the way of forced landing options.
Also, get in early for sorting out your licence validation with CASA, particularly as there's a big security hoo-ha going on at the moment about having a special police-checked card to get into any security-controlled areas of aerodromes.
Have fun.:)

butair
26th Jan 2006, 08:33
Thanks for the advice on that. Sounds great. I'll try to contact someone in CASA next week and see what they say. I'm thinking of renting from Basair in Sydney.

zepthiir
26th Jan 2006, 13:12
I dont know how many hours your planning on flying a day and how long your planning on staying at each stop, for the flight your planning you should be fine but i would check on Basair's policy regarding long term hire and min hrs.

As far as I am aware on everything but there low use higher end aircraft they have minimum hrs flown per day if you take an aircraft for long periods as they dont want to miss out on the money that plane could be making, but check this to make sure its still true.

If you dont want to be constantly worrying about this and have a more relaxed fly I would check with a few places and maybe consider the flying club.

For a long hire they will make you pay a chunk in advance but they tend to be more relaxed about hrs flown and since they own most of their aircraft they tend to be in slightly better condition anyway.

Hope this helps, if you want to ask more questions please feel free to PM me
Zepth

butair
26th Jan 2006, 14:53
That's great. I think I might research it a little better first and decide what route might be feasible and how long each leg would take. I have contacted Basair but they have not replied back to me yet. Might look into a club as you said also. Thanks for the advice.

LookinDown
27th Jan 2006, 05:01
If you are arriving in April I assume it will prob be May or so before you depart. Late Autumn/Winter weather in the south of Oz is a thing to be avoided (unless you particularly looking for chiils n spills).

Head north young man (although NSW south coast is quite scenic) up NSW coast and up Queensland Eastern coast. Beautiful climate, spectacular scenery and lifestyle...beaches, snorkelling, resort islands, seafood etc much within walking distance of airfields. Avoid Gulf of Carpentaria and Northern Territory coastlines as looooooooong way with little to see or do.

N2000
27th Jan 2006, 08:17
Butair

Have a look at some of the WAC charts for some of the areas you fancy flying around. Naturally they will not show controlled airspace, Danger Areas etc, but will give you an idea of some of the remoteness of some of the areas you may have thought about flying over. Its all do-able, but like all good flying, you need to think ahead and do a bit of planning, which is of course why you came to PPRUNE in the first place!!

Also have a look at the CASA and Airservices Australia websites, lots of good info there, loads which can be downloaded as well. One example is the Visual Flight Guides for flying around the major cities. Its at http://www.airservices.gov.au/pilotcentre/training/flyingaround/default.asp

The CASA page for recognition of your overseas licence is http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm but if you want to fly an Australian registered aircraft in IMC you will need an Australian "Command Instrument Rating".

Also have a look at http://www.bucka-lassen.dk/flacroz/ as they have flown around the country in a light aircraft. Excellent site, with some usefull tips, and loads of piccies.

N2000

butair
27th Jan 2006, 08:22
I was actually considering that as I know what the winter can be like in the south, not as bad as Ireland but still would not be nice to fly in. I think I will fly up north as far as the barrier reef and back. I just have to get my hands on some maps to see if that is possible to do within a month, bearing in mind that I will be stopping off somewhere new every day or so. I need to do some research into the best place to rent an aircraft from. I will be based in Sydney so I'll do a google for clubs around the area.

7gcbc
27th Jan 2006, 08:46
Butair, a Chara,

Check your PM's

Woomera
27th Jan 2006, 09:02
"I think I will fly up north as far as the barrier reef and back. I just have to get my hands on some maps to see if that is possible to do within a month..."

From Sydney? The start of the Reef, around Lady Elliot Island, would only be around 700 nm north of Sydney? I think I could do that on a push bike in a month!! :} :} :}

Butair. I suggest you make contact by PM with some of our Aussie PPRuNers and identify exactly where you want to go - otherwise we'll be wandering all over Australia, from Abbeywood to Zilzie. I'm sure you will find our Ozmates very helpful.

Woomera

tinpis
28th Jan 2006, 01:56
Theres lots of drunks in the pubs just like Ireland if that helps

sailing
29th Jan 2006, 05:08
Did it a few years ago in a Tiger Moth, no aux fuel, so 150 mile range with reserves. Followed Highway 1 anticlockwise, left Sydney in April and took 1 month, flying most days. Lot of fun, would love to do it again in less of a rush. Had tailwinds all but 1 day! Good luck!