PDA

View Full Version : final deso interview, any chance of being hired as defo?

CloudSailor
25th Jan 2006, 13:58
if petitfromage and flyingkiwi are reading, thanks. you guys always take the time to answer questions thoroughly.
my question:
i am going to the final interview in HKG this may for a DESO position. if between now and the possible class date i acquire a couple of jet type ratings (B737 and CRJ), do you know if there is any chance CX would consider offering me a DEFO position???
thanks.

petitfromage
25th Jan 2006, 14:32
The chances are slim to none sadly.....its not that rating thats important but rather the time on type (heavy jet vs light jet vs turbo-prop etc)

Now, that said...it does happen. I know of people personally who, after their SO interview got a call saying "are you interested in DEFO".

I would hazard a guess that they had fantastic sim rides!! And of course it would depend on vacancies at the frieghter bases too.

Be very careful if you ask about this. (Im not saying dont ask).....Be careful not to imply that Asia is not your thing and that you just cant wait to get back to CONUS! That never goes down well!

In the cases that I know of personally, by electing to join as DEFOs they delayed their date of joining by nearly 2 years. Thats about 450 pilots now senior to you....and ultimately, 2+yrs later for your command (and the $$$ that goes with it).

In my humble opinion, you're better to get in the door asap....and then once your're an SO, apply for Freighter slots when they are advertised (which is all the time!). While your waiting for your FO freighter slot, at least youre on the seniority list and getting paid! (and having fantastic fun touring abut Asia!!)

But thats just my opinion ;)

CloudSailor
25th Jan 2006, 21:29
petitfromage,
that's my thinking exactly. thanks for the reply, i knew you'd come through.
my interest in defo is not to get out of living in HKG, which i'm really looking forward to actually. my wife is also really excited to go live there and do some temp. basings when possible.
my real reason for asking is the fact that i would like to stay in a flying seat, but i'm patient and will be happy either way.
i'm really looking forward to this great opportunity.
thanks again.

corporal klinger
26th Jan 2006, 15:19
you also could join as so and immediately apply for a fo position, they are short of guys on the 200 especially, and so you might be able to transfer within a year.

DDDOF
29th Jan 2006, 07:47
Not any more I guess. I just had a mate try this and they told him he had to complete his first years line check(one full years as an so) before he could apply for any fo openings. I think this new???????

petitfromage
30th Jan 2006, 07:41
Im not aware that 1 year is a hard/fast rule BUT......when you join you are under probabation for 1 year.
And that time period allows you to complete....
a. initial line check
b. 2nd line check
c. all your SO sims (6) including 2 x Aircraft Ratings and a 2nd Instrument Rating

In short, it gives the powers that be enough info to decide whether or not youre a good training risk.....after all training costs a lot of $$$.

Like it or not it does seem logical.

JSB
31st Jan 2006, 06:33
CloudSailor,
Not sure that the extra ratings would help, though I'm not sure of any magic solutions either. Did you 'gently' press the issue in your first interview saying that you would be keen on the FO thing? What was the interviewer(s) response?
I have a friend that was told quite clearly by the recruiting dept that he didn't have the experience for FO and that SO was it... at the interview he mentioned it that he was keen for FO if it were available, and the interviewer (who happened to be a freighter FTM) made it so for the second interview.
Petitfromage is spot on with his advice about being prudent in how you put it forward, and it is true that there have been guys offered FO after flying the SO sim profile; only difference is the lack of an engine fire/fail for the second ILS... good luck, but in any case they're both great jobs if you get offered a slot.
JSB:ok:

CloudSailor
31st Jan 2006, 16:27
JSB,
I never did 'press' the issue at all during the first interview. If I think it can be done on the second interview, I will gently 'let them know', that I consider myself fortunate for the DESO interview, and if they happened to need me as a DEFO, I would be glad to accept.
We'll see how the situation unfolds. Thanks for the advice, and yes, either slot would be great.
CS.